Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Historical events depicted in war comics & arrival date stamps21181

Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone else collect these sorts of books?

I think they are pretty cool.

Here’s an example of the Cuban Missle Crisis depicted in a war comic, with an arrival cover date stamped at May 24 ; publish date is shown as August 1962, with Che Guevara depicted on the cover praising his Russian comrades, in defiance of the “imperialist pigs” I.e. the U.S. Military.

Not to get political,but neither Che Guevara nor the Russia govt of the 2960’s were Marxist revolutionaries.

They were nationalists, which is antithetical to Marxism.Nationalism has no progressive character, whatsoever.

The Russian ruling class in particular were Stalinists.

Stalin was one of the most backwards individuals in history, comparable to the likes of Hitler.

Stalin killed upward of a million Marxists, as well as ordering the asssanination of Trotsky, who co-led the 1917 Russian Revolution.

Stalin prostituted Marxism, in his actions in the 1920’s which led to the Stalin-Hitler pact….this in turn led to the wholesale slaughter of upwards of 26 million Russians, including 6 million Jews.As well as the full restoration of capitalism in Russia in 1991.

This in turn led to the Ukraine war.

Much more to be said about these events, I am truncating them here to denote that I have no fondness or sympathy for the likes of Stakin and Guevara.

Moving on to the period depicted in this issue of Fighti’ Navy #105 ..

The Cuban Missle Crisis culminated and came to its’ conclusion in October 1962.

As a student of history, I believe that such comic books have historical significance.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Missile_Crisis

Post 1 IP   flag post
No war history buffs on here?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
I actually love these types of comics! War comics in general are an overlooked and underrated genre and the historical issues are particularly interesting. The Harvey Kurtzman edited war titles of the EC line are particularly magnificent in this regard. Apologies for the lateness of my reply🙂.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
I actually love these types of comics! War comics in general are an overlooked and underrated genre and the historical issues are particularly interesting. The Harvey Kurtzman edited war titles of the EC line are particularly magnificent in this regard. Apologies for the lateness of my reply🙂.
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed, EC war books are among the best in the genre.

Atlas 50’s war books, as well….but a lot of Atlas war and EC war books are far from overlooked ….. especially Jeath grey tone covers for Atlas, though I think EC war books are still relatively cheap for the most part.

Charlton 50’s war books have been picking up steam the past few years, still bargains to be had.

Fightin’ Navy has a few goodies with Rocco M. art that are still flying under the radar, I think Rocco is one of the most under appreciated GA/SA artists .

Fightin Navy #74 (#1) has Rocco art IIRC, I know it has AC Hollingsworth art and an atomic bomb cover, I have a raw 6.5 in my PC, and a raw 7.0 of this issue of FN #105…just doesn’t have a date stamp on the cover.

Fawcett, Fox and Harvey 50’s war books are pretty good across the board…

A couple other smaller publishers from the 1950’s that I can’t recall ATM, put out some Great War books.

Harvey 50’s war is also underrated, and full of airily gratuitous but well done violence and particularly over the top anti-communist covers and stories.

I can’t recall much of any 50’s-60’s war books that depicted historical events, other than a few EC war books, and this Fightin Navy 105.

A
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Atlas did a segment, I think in Marines in Battle, where they did a story each issue based on historical battles. Agree that the Harvey war books are underrated. The early Quality issues of GI Combat are also kick ass!
Post 5 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not a huge war comic collector but one of my favorite books in my collection is Two-Fisted Tales #35. I actually have multiple copies including a Canadian version. This is my only graded copy and the nicest one I have.

I have had a growing interest lately in the event-specific comics mentioned by @PolarisNuclearSS2020. Dell Combat #2, for example,

Still, other than the TFT #35, the only war comics I currently own are a few non-event-specific DCs like GI Combat #87: not really in line with this topic.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
WW2 where it’s at. Both grand daddies survived; leaving you with me. You’re welcome.
Post 7 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I picked this one up at the Bedrock City Comic Con in Houston today. It tells the story of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941.

Post 8 IP   flag post
618086 8 8