Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Modern AgeQuestions

Any tips for a first time submission?21149

Collector Doghouse private msg quote post Address this user
Hello,

I just joined the forum and am pleased to meet you all

I am putting together a submission from Canada and I am wondering whether any of you would like to share any tips for a first-timer like me. Is the cap 25 books per shipment? Are there any surprises with costs for shipping back to Canada? I am sending in a bunch of Spawn books that cross the date boundary - based on what I read I can combine all of the books into one tier (accepting it will take the longer amount) and have them all shipped back together?

Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
First off, Welcome to the Forum. The guys here are amazing and their knowledge of our hobby is unbelievable.

I've never heard of a "cap" or limit on submissions. My first submission was about (30) and the most I've submitted was around (170) comic books.

I still submit by paper forms, I don't do on-line submissions. I love paper.

Good luck and post some pictures when you get them back.
Post 2 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@Doghouse Welcome to the forum. We have a few folks from your neck of the woods that should chime in soon to give you some advice.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Rafel Sorry, I should have been more specific. By Cap I am referring to how many fit into a box in the shipment back. The per box cost is pretty high coming back to Canada and so I dont want to send 30 if it means 25 come back in one back and 5 in another. Or maybe it is done differently and this doesnt matter as much as I think.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Ask for press screening if you’re subbing moderns and you want 9.8’s on them.
Post 5 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I do think about 25 per box is the max.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse
@Rafel Sorry, I should have been more specific. By Cap I am referring to how many fit into a box in the shipment back. The per box cost is pretty high coming back to Canada and so I dont want to send 30 if it means 25 come back in one back and 5 in another. Or maybe it is done differently and this doesnt matter as much as I think.

Not a problem.
When the other Canadians cim in you should ask they how they do their shipping and submissions. They might know something different.

The old submission sheets had room for (19) comic books, so I would submit (3) sheets or (57) comic books at a time. That worked for me.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I do think about 25 per box is the max.

Even if it’s not, I think 10 book submissions are the way to go.

25 slabs and you have around a 30 pound box.

The heavier the box, the more likely it is that slabs get cracked/damaged.

A box with 10 slabs weighs under 15 pounds, once you get to around double that with a large more difficult to carry up steps etc, the higher odds the delivery person or someone at one of the shipping hubs drops the box on a corner and whammo- cracked slabs.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome! Enjoy the ride becuas its the best one.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Ryan4421 private msg quote post Address this user
Make sure you get them pressed. It's worth the extra expense and cbcs pressing is top notch.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan4421
Make sure you get them pressed. It's worth the extra expense and cbcs pressing is top notch.

What this guy said. 👍
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan4421

I am sure it is!

I do press all my own comics though, so I am covered there.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
@Doghouse welcome to the forum!
Post 13 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Doghouse Welcome to the forum!!

There is one potential surprise cost that us Canucks face but can sometimes get written off.

When choosing the return shipping cost from the cbcs online submission, you have 2 choices...FedEx Air of FedEx Ground.

Choosing FedEx Ground generates a bill from FedEx that they call a Broker Fee. It's a fee FedEx charges the owner of the books for "brokering" or navigating your books through Canadian Customs. My experience shows this fee is usually about 90% of the cost of shipping....so for me, it's about $30-$35 Canadian paid to FedEx.

I fight FedEx for these charges and I've won about 80% of the time where the write off the fee...but sometimes I've had to pay.

FedEx Air does not generate this Broker fee.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you stick around....its cool to have a fellow Ottawan here.

FYI: There's an online 20% off discount code: BANANA
Post 14 IP   flag post
Yes! Use the banana
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

FYI: There's an online 20% off discount code: BANANA

Hahahahahaa, that is amazing! I will be sure to use it.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Choosing FedEx Ground generates a bill from FedEx that they call a Broker Fee. It's a fee FedEx charges the owner of the books for "brokering" or navigating your books through Canadian Customs. My experience shows this fee is usually about 90% of the cost of shipping....so for me, it's about $30-$35 Canadian paid to FedEx.

If you dont mind me asking, what is the cost difference between ground and air for a box of 25 slabs? Elsewhere I used only ground and it was about 125 CAD or so for shipping plus the $40 you mention. So if the cost of air is 175 or less I would just take that and save a bit of shipping time while lessening the chance of damage en route.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelgee
when i made order there is no slot for code before you hit place my order
at checkout click on change payment method to add promo.

Sometimes there is confusion when entering a promo on the online form. The above will show you what it’s allaboot.
Post 18 IP   flag post
618083 18 18