Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaPop CultureQuestionsSignatures

Stan Lee "Bubble"?2113

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Simple solution to a bubble, don't participate in it.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
The comments above make me think of Gene Simmons of KISS. Musically, not the greatest, but he sure knows how to market the band and himself. If you talked to him, I bet he would convince you that they are the greatest band of all time. He is the king of self promotion, right above Stan Lee. Lol.

Gene Simmons could talk to me from now until Jesus comes and he'll NEVER convince me that KISS is the greatest band of all time. Great gimmick and great marketers, but as musicians they SUCK!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector mora1618 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Simple solution to a bubble, don't participate in it.
you'er 100% right is the only way that this crazy autograph business stop. Every writer o artist wants its share of the market, thats Fair, but many other people refuse to participate or put especial rules. McFarlane, Jim Lee, Kirkmang among the people who stop to this practic, put especial Rules or keep doing it for free like Conner, Palmiotti and many others. We need to protect the hobby.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector mora1618 private msg quote post Address this user
By the wsy Gene Simons and Stsn are great friends
Post 29 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I like the first album through Love Gun and then Creatures of the Night. Everything else is whatever.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
Stan should know when to say no and have pride on his work. Other artist say no when they know "this is not my comic"
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsforme
Stan should know when to say no and have pride on his work. Other artist say no when they know "this is not my comic"

This is very true, and the fact that he doesn't care has lost him much respect in my mind.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
I got a book signed and graded by him. I didn't do it to flip but because I wanted something to remind me of my childhood and that iconic voice of his on some of my favorite Saturday morning cartoons.

I paid a 100 to get that signature and it was worth every penny to me.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
I have 4 comics signed way before CGC was even borned and did not pay a dime and never will.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector FrankCastle129 private msg quote post Address this user
How much of this is really Stan pushing to sign autographs for money or is this his family and handlers just trying to get money before he passes? When I saw him like three years ago they were just shoving stuff in front of him and he didn't even have a chance to look at it, he also did not seem like he was all there. I think at his age he would rather be at home enjoying his family but I wonder how much pressure they put on him to do more shows.
Post 35 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCastle129
How much of this is really Stan pushing to sign autographs for money or is this his family and handlers just trying to get money before he passes? When I saw him like three years ago they were just shoving stuff in front of him and he didn't even have a chance to look at it, he also did not seem like he was all there. I think at his age he would rather be at home enjoying his family but I wonder how much pressure they put on him to do more shows.
you have no idea. i rather not say what i have witnessed due to the spirit of things, but wow just wow.
Post 36 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Stan Lee's signature has been good for me on Ebay. I've been lucky, and almost all of mine have sold for astronomical prices. I have also kept quite a few in my personal stash for a rainy day someday. Even an ASM 300 lol.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user

The bubble continues to grow. Just saw this. Asking $15k for a Stan Lee Signed Avengers #1 (2014).

You could buy the Original Avengers #1 (1963) in like 9.2 condition for that price. With that pricing if Stan Lee Signs an avengers #1 (1963) is it worth 15 million?
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector aerischan private msg quote post Address this user
Iirc, I think I read somewhere before someone data mined CGC census and like 30-40% of all CGC SS is signed by Stan Lee. :p
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcolli
Stan Lee is like Michael Jordan. Even with the amount of stuff they have signed, the price of their signature is valued high because of what they have done. Plus when they die their stuff they signed will sky rocket because they won't be signing anything again. Look at babe Ruth. You have his bat that he played with worth a lot. You have his signature on the bat and it is 10 times more. I don't have anything signed by stan Lee but I would love to get him to sign something before he passes.

For argument's sake, let's say that you want to buy a Michael Jordan signed basketball, which can be purchased for around $1500. You can probably buy a game used ball with no signature for a few hundred. His signature would increase the value 5 fold. Now let's say you want a MJ game used Jersey, again no signature, probably around $10,000. Now let's say you want a MJ signed game used Jersey, probably around $40k to $50k. Now let's say you want the Jersey he was wearing when he made the impossible shot, now you're looking at a few million.

The point is, it's not just his signature that determines price, it's what the history behind the item is.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcolli
Stan Lee is like Michael Jordan. Even with the amount of stuff they have signed, the price of their signature is valued high because of what they have done. Plus when they die their stuff they signed will sky rocket because they won't be signing anything again. Look at babe Ruth. You have his bat that he played with worth a lot. You have his signature on the bat and it is 10 times more. I don't have anything signed by stan Lee but I would love to get him to sign something before he passes.

For argument's sake, let's say that you want to buy a Michael Jordan signed basketball, which can be purchased for around $1500. You can probably buy a game used ball with no signature for a few hundred. His signature would increase the value 5 fold. Now let's say you want a MJ game used Jersey, again no signature, probably around $10,000. Now let's say you want a MJ signed game used Jersey, probably around $40k to $50k. Now let's say you want the Jersey he was wearing when he made the impossible shot, now you're looking at a few million.

The point is, it's not just his signature that determines price, it's what the history behind the item is.

You might want to add the rarity of the item in your hypothesis. There is only 1 game worn jersey MJ was wearing when he made the shot. There a large amounts of Stan Lee signed comics on the market. There are more than likely 100's of ASM #1 signed by him. It might bring up the price but it isn't the only one. Now the OA page from AF #15 showing Spidey for the first time signed by Stan might bring some bang for the buck.
Post 41 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Eventually when he passes and people realize how over inflated the market is with his signature the only items that will be worth the money people are asking for will be old school comics that he was either actually involved in or are characters he created.

He's the face of marvel but people are charging way too much just because he signed something and soon enough there will be lots of people stuck with crap that they paid way to much for that they can't sell for what they want.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
Some of you are blaming sellers for charging X amount. The reality is, if a book doesn't sell, the price gets reduced until it does. If people are willing to pay high prices, then that's what his signature is worth. There won't be too many people selling his signed stuff for less than what they paid for it unless they're desperate. His signed stuff when he passes will skyrocket for a short time.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
@KingNampa, that seller added three too many zeroes IMO (five, if you count the decimals).
Post 44 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Stan Lee is an unique individual.

His contribution to the hobby and the breadth of his work from comics to other media is incredible. There is no doubt that Stan Lee is a treasure.

With that being said he has not only lived a very long time but been extremely active in attending shows and signing books for a very long time. There is also the fact that Stan will sign DC books or pretty much anything that people put in front of him.

While the demand for Stan Lee signed books is high so is the supply. Incredible Hulk 181 has 97 CGC 9.8 graded copies and an additional 7 signed copies. As there is one 9.9 it isn't even the highest graded copy of the book.

Despite the large number of CGC 9.8 copies available there were five sales of the book last year with the lowest sale bringing over $11,000 and the highest sale bringing in just under $14,000 for a single copy of the book in this grade.

Amazing Fantasy 15 has 2,642 copies graded according to the CGC census. About 600 copies of the book were graded 6.0 or higher. Despite the abundance of copies available in mid to high grades the price range on a CGC 4.0 VG copy of this book from 2016 to present ranges from $13,000 to just over $19,000.

While a Hulk 181 in CGC 9.8 will look much better than an Amazing Fantasy in CGC 4.0 and only has about 10% as much supply, the demand for the first appearance of Spider-man has a much greater demand than the first appearance of Wolverine. I would say that this analogy also applies to Stan Lee signed books.

Instead of advising you on whether or not to buy a book signed by Stan or spending time and money to get a book signed my only suggestion would be that if you want a book signed by Stan try to make it a book that he made a meaningful impact on. I would much rather get a Stan Lee signature on a silver age Avengers book like Avengers # 4 than a copy of Batman Adventures # 12.
Post 45 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie10cent
I am not certain if many of you are aware that Stan had started his writing at 17 age? He begin wrote many stories for GA Captain America, Human Torch and many others. These comics are what you should have him sign in.

I've got a 1946 1st issue MM story by Stan (currently for sale), if it does not sell by the next time I go to a convention where Stan is signing, I'll cut open a window on the slab (so he doesn't ruin the fkng thing fisting it) and get a signature on it. I know it will be a value for that book. You are right, there ARE some comics worth getting his sig on that will hold or increase value

Just for shits maybe I'll bring a brand new rebirth DC book and see if I can get him to write "I did this -SL) on it Maybe he's blind and senile? That's the only reason I can think of that he would be signing some of the stuff we've seen...
Post 46 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Just for shits maybe I'll bring a brand new rebirth DC book and see if I can get him to write "I did this -SL) on it Maybe he's blind and senile? That's the only reason I can think of that he would be signing some of the stuff we've seen...

Just like the Geico commercial would say "If you're Stan Lee you sign books, that's what you do".

Stan Lee likes signing books for fans. He is like the honey badger, he doesn't give f*** what book it is.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations
Some of you are blaming sellers for charging X amount. The reality is, if a book doesn't sell, the price gets reduced until it does. If people are willing to pay high prices, then that's what his signature is worth. There won't be too many people selling his signed stuff for less than what they paid for it unless they're desperate. His signed stuff when he passes will skyrocket for a short time.

Sucker born every minute. I don't believe people who actually know the market are paying those prices.

Rule one in the art market, never buy anything the day after the artist dies.

As a side note: does anyone else find it a tad bit morbid that we're speculating on Stan's death?
Post 48 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer You are going to cut a window into the slab? With the book inside? Please video this amazing show for us.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics

As a side note: does anyone else find it a tad bit morbid that we're speculating on Stan's death?

Dude is more than 90 years old. We are lucky he is alive and well enough to still appear at shows.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
@shrewbeer You are going to cut a window into the slab? With the book inside? Please video this amazing show for us.

haha yes I'm gonna take a wheel grinder to it with the book inside

No really, I would crack it, cut it, tape the edges of the window and put the book back in taped closed with a mylar flap over said hole. He can mangle on that all he wants and wont degrade the book.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector FrankCastle129 private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer

Post 52 IP   flag post

In all seriousness though, @Jesse_O is correct. He is the Elvis of our world and will be missed when he's gone. Yes, he's overloading us with himself at shows, but we will miss that when he is no longer with us. I mean, he is Stan freakin' Lee!
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector D_Stu private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:

haha yes I'm gonna take a wheel grinder to it with the book inside

No really, I would crack it, cut it, tape the edges of the window and put the book back in taped closed with a mylar flap over said hole. He can mangle on that all he wants and wont degrade the book.

I cracked my AF15 and ASM1 that were restored for Stan to sign at Planet ComiCon in KC last May. Those things were triple boarded, sealed in a window cut 2.0 mylar. Thankfully, they were not "Stan-handled" and came back with consistent grading.
Post 54 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer I would suggest just getting some 4mil Mylar bags and fullbacks to make your window bags. 4mil has very sturdy edges when used with fullbacks.
Post 55 IP   flag post
598060 189 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.