Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Anyone Here Use A CPAP Machine?20997

I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I had to get one recently and I'm not adjusting easily to it.

I have the nose-only mask.

I'm a side sleeper....I have the nose mask tight but its impossible NOT to have the seal break. The seal breaks everytime, blasting air in my eyes waking me and/or the machine not fulfilling its purpose.

Anyone else have this issue?

If so, any solutions?

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Zanziber private msg quote post Address this user
The only idea I have is using a full face mask instead.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I started with the nose pillows, couldn't adjust to it, and hated wearing the chinstrap with it. Switched to the full facemask. Hate it less and am currently saving for Inspire. Truthfully, I didn't mind the fit of the pillows in my nostrils, and I am a side sleeper as well. For me, it was the chin strap. I didn't try the other mask that just covers the nose.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
I'll be using one soon so I'll let you know how that goes.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector DoorCntyComicColl private msg quote post Address this user
I've been using one for 5 years.. same type using a nose-only mask. I am also a side sleeper but I curl up my pillow so its not flush to my mask.. Can't have good night's sleep without it. Yes I will wake up at times readjusting the mask. but a minor setback considering the alternative of having an awful feeling of lack of sleep come morning...

Not going to preaching to folks but what helped me is exercising and eating healthy... Wasn't doing that as much prior to the Cpap... I'm avid runner now at 62 years old (4-5 miles every 3-4 days) so the days I run I know I'll be too darn tired to worry about the mask needing adjustment!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I had to get one recently and I'm not adjusting easily to it.

I have the nose-only mask.

I'm a side sleeper....I have the nose mask tight but its impossible NOT to have the seal break. The seal breaks everytime, blasting air in my eyes waking me and/or the machine not fulfilling its purpose.

Anyone else have this issue?

If so, any solutions?

Thanks!

Same problem back when they were fitting me for my first CPAP.

The only solution if you go the CPAP/BIPAP route and one mase isn't working is to explore more masks.
I was able to go in to the sleep doc and sit and try out like 5 of them. Took one home, it sucked (nose only, and by the way, ALL the "nose-only" ones sucked for me sealing-wise) went back, got a different one two weeks later (more of a full face type that covers nose and mouth) and have been using it ever since, almost 6 years now.

Sealing is key, and if it doesn't then the noise, the airflow, etc. will drive you NUTS and make it totally unacceptable.

I was lucky, was able to adapt very quickly and I LOVE my BIPAP (*mostly I love not waking up dead) and so I have not had to explore the ALTERNATIVES, like those things you put in your mouth like a boxing mouth guard.

There is an "under you skin" electronic shock model that they say works wonders and of course doesn't require a mask, but because of cardiac issues and a lack of research on exactly how long-term effects might be on arrhythmia and etc. my doc won't let me have one.

So ... yeah, try more types until you find one that works and seals. OR try an alternative maybe, but DO NOT IGNORE APNEA!!

APNEA incredibly destructive to the body short and long term is actually the main reason for heart attack deaths in the USA. They didn't know it was, but it wasn't taxes it was APNEA all the time.

Good Luck, sir!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorCntyComicColl
Not going to preaching to folks but what helped me is exercising and eating healthy... Wasn't doing that as much prior to the Cpap... I'm avid runner now at 62 years old (4-5 miles every 3-4 days) so the days I run I know I'll be too darn tired to worry about the mask needing adjustment!

Yes, I can't stress it enough to eat right and exercise. It has helped me tremendously when I use the CPAP. My sweet spot is about 7.5 hours on it. I usually wake up once or twice throughout the evening to adjust but some nights it is straight through and I feel golden.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
I started with the nose pillows, couldn't adjust to it, and hated wearing the chinstrap with it. Switched to the full facemask. Hate it less and am currently saving for Inspire. Truthfully, I didn't mind the fit of the pillows in my nostrils, and I am a side sleeper as well. For me, it was the chin strap. I didn't try the other mask that just covers the nose.

They tried to give me a chin strap and I used it ONCE. never again. Don't need it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I got mine about 25 years ago, nose only, took some adjustment for sure, tightness wise.
The doc told me. “Some people don’t like it or can’t adapt to one, those people will die sooner”
Love mine, it also runs off 12 volt in my motor home.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I tried it, couldn't adjust. Tried oral appliance but couldn't stand that either. Although oral was easier than the breaking seal. Inspire if you are not weight inhibited seems like rhe way to go
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Post 11 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
All great responses everyone...thanks!! I've got bronchitis to boot making the CPAP machine a little tougher to adjust to in the immediate short term. I will definitely try new masks..looks like a full mouth/nose mask is next....my eating habits are pretty good...but my exercise is pretty non-existent. Between work and all the normal business that we all have, I find it hard to fit in exercise.....or more accurately, I just f@#&in' hate it..lol.

I appreciate all the information and keep posting any other information. Like @dfoster43 says...we can't ignore Apnea....my test results showed I was waking up on average 71 times per hour...every 50 seconds or so and my doctor said while that's not good there are more extreme cases for sure.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
I did build a pool for a guy who sold and rented the machines nationwide, he made a crap tone of money. All I hear are horror stories, I'm so grateful I don't need to use one. Sorry for you who do.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
All great responses everyone...thanks!! I've got bronchitis to boot making the CPAP machine a little tougher to adjust to in the immediate short term. I will definitely try new masks..looks like a full mouth/nose mask is next....my eating habits are pretty good...but my exercise is pretty non-existent. Between work and all the normal business that we all have, I find it hard to fit in exercise.....or more accurately, I just f@#&in' hate it..lol.

I appreciate all the information and keep posting any other information. Like @dfoster43 says...we can't ignore Apnea....my test results showed I was waking up on average 71 times per hour...every 50 seconds or so and my doctor said while that's not good there are more extreme cases for sure.

Wow that's crazy!! I have a moderate case of apnea so I'm hoping it will work well for me.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC did the test - turns out I just snore loud so no CPAP for me

BUT...apparently 20 to 30 minutes a day for 3 months of playing didgeridoo has proven medical results in reducing the need for CPAP and of snoring.....soooo..I got a portable didg and am giving it a try!!!
Got mine from a local music store
9x5 inches - super small but has the same horrible sound as a 5 ft didgerido!!!

Post 15 IP   flag post
@KatKomics Cool...funny how that works! Keep didgeridooing!!!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
@GAC did the test - turns out I just snore loud so no CPAP for me

BUT...apparently 20 to 30 minutes a day for 3 months of playing didgeridoo has proven medical results in reducing the need for CPAP and of snoring.....soooo..I got a portable didg and am giving it a try!!!
Got mine from a local music store
9x5 inches - super small but has the same horrible sound as a 5 ft didgerido!!!

Supposedly the didgeridoo is the world's oldest wind instrument, ...but knowing human nature I'm pretty sure it isn't.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
When I was diagnosed my daughter was 8. Being freaked out about it I listened to her breathe one night and sure enough, she had it. Skinny as a rail. I talked to my doctor next appointment and he told me mine was severe from having an unusually narrow breathing tube, likely made worse by never having my tonsils out. He suggested having hers out might cure it, we did and it did. So something good came out of my diagnoses. I have a couple very skinny friends who have it too so weight often causes it but not always, and not the only cause.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
When I was diagnosed my daughter was 8. Being freaked out about it I listened to her breathe one night and sure enough, she had it. Skinny as a rail. I talked to my doctor next appointment and he told me mine was severe from having an unusually narrow breathing tube, likely made worse by never having my tonsils out. He suggested having hers out might cure it, we did and it did. So something good came out of my diagnoses. I have a couple very skinny friends who have it too so weight often causes it but not always, and not the only cause.

Never had mine out either so this might be my problem also. Ty!
Post 19 IP   flag post
How do I know this? Because I've done it myself. lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
I've got a moderate case of apnea, and I use only the nose pillow. I'm a stomach sleeper, so it definitely took some getting used to. For me, it's all about the tightness of the strap to keep it firmly positioned, but, obviously, if it's too tight, then that becomes a problem too. Once I got used to it, I noticed I sleep way better, and my wife is definitely thankful because I don't snore now, either.

Good luck!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I have been using one for years. I use the nose pillows and have force myself to sleep on my back. I usually use no pilloe or a thin one to keep my head back. It seems to work. However, once I wake up in the morning, I usually take it off right away. I still use it out of habit even after losing over 100 pounds. I probably can do away with it at this point.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I got a new mask today....face mask covering nose and mouth... the air tube is fed on the top of my head so the face mask doesn't protrude too far from my face making side sleeping less problematic....that's the hope anyway.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@GAC awesome, I should get mine soon.
Post 23 IP   flag post
UPDATE: I got my machine and it works pretty well. I'm a little more energetic in the morning and I don't toss and turn as much. The mask is a little annoying but I think I could get used to it. Might have to adjust it.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
I used to use one back when I had apnea. I had the full face mask as I'm a mouth breather (but with some intelligence, I think)....If you're thinking about going to a full mask without a CPAP that has the humidifier option it might irritate you a bit with dryness. The full mask allowed me to sleep on my stomach with face to side, so I imagine it would also work well for a side sleeper also if you're thinking of going that route.

EDIT - Just realized this post is 2 months old...my comment is likely past it's expiration date already.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Optic_Blast private msg quote post Address this user
I wish there was a way to make the incoming air cooler than the ambient air. I know that the air heats up when it's forced through the hose, but I hate it when it's warm out and the air going through the tube up to the mask is warmer than the outside air. I've read on some cpap sites that the way to possibly get cooler air is to put the machine in front of an AC, but that's not possible for me.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Optic_Blast what machine do you use? I have a Resmed Air Sense 11 and I can set my air cooler or warmer. Right now it's on 66 degrees.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Optic_Blast private msg quote post Address this user
I have the airsense 11 autoset. My model does not have an air cooler, just the humidifier.
Post 28 IP   flag post
618085 28 28