Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC knowingly damaging books?20972

Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
It's hard because if I'm keeping a book I'm using cbcs. But when you are selling it's hard to just accept less profit. Because sadly that's how it is.
Post 176 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I don't typically have this issue in the event I sell something. I don't list a CBCS graded book for 35% less than its CGC counterpart.
Post 177 IP   flag post
Yeah me either. I'm happy to win auctions for a 15 percent discount and get cbcs books. I prefer em but cgc seems to win out price wise. I'd prefer it didn't because I haven't used them in over 2 years.
Post 178 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Every CBCCS book I'm bidding on always seems to go for current market price or more.

I mean, yeah, if you list your Rom 27 in an auction that starts at $1, then you're probably going to be disappointed.
Post 179 IP   flag post
Well that's good to hear. While I buy a fair amount I'd imagine there are many of you more knowledgeable and buying and selling much more then me. If they are going for equal then that's really good to know and is one more reason to not use cgc.
Post 180 IP   flag post

Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
I agree, the CBCS books I bid on (mostly older horror or sci-if) seem to go for the equivalent if not higher than the same CGC books
Post 181 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Completely off topic here but just dropped my box off at the post office and there wasn't a line! It was meant to be! Haha let's go.
Post 182 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
When I used to sell I always priced my cbcs books the same as I would for cgc books. I never noticed a difference.

I don't subscribe to this cbcs discount....I personally haven't seen it and when others attempt to prove it there are examples that can be used to show cbcs selling for more, so.......at the very least...for me...that belief is inconclusive.
Post 183 IP   flag post
We've had this conversation repeatedly. There are even wild price swings for books in the same grade graded by the cgc. Sometimes varying by hundreds of dollars.
Post 184 IP   flag post
There's a book I want, but the serial number starts with 44. 😣
Post 185 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson don't do it.
Post 186 IP   flag post
Nope, stay clear .
Post 187 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
@DrWatson don't do it.

Or, more rationally, ask for an edge-on photo of the book (from either side). The warp will be readily apparent if there.
Post 188 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
So far two books received back from my ~40 book submission. No warps. I will take any necessary next steps after my full submission is returned to me.

Everything is well-documented. Will keep the forum posted when I have a more complete picture.
Post 189 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave wish I was as fortunate as you; last one was a noticeable bend.
Post 190 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know...being paranoid now I guess.
Looked at the last time I sent to CGC - serial numbers starting with 42

Some look perfect....some have a little curve...maybe that's the 'within tolerance'
One or two look like odd kinks or waves in the cover but then they are 9.2/9.4/9.6 and the kink is by a spine tick so it could be pressing reversion?? (not CCS!!!)

At least these were always meant to be sold so at some point I won't have to look at them!!

PC books go to CBCS or more likely stay in their boxes for now as I find CBCS pricey in grading, shipping and insurance......
Post 191 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I only have one incoming, but I'll also update if there's a curve when I receive it. I got it for $29 and couldn't find a raw in similar condition for the price. I think grading costs more than that for 1974 so it was worth the risk. I'm still rational and stay away from anything pricey. I don't know if I can say the same about @ComicNinja0215

Post 192 IP   flag post
@flanders it wasn't a valuable book at all but was 10.00 to press and the rest covered by membership credits.

It's important to me though and the fact that this was another victim of their neglect; I'm done.
Post 193 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
We've discovered several CGC purchases from the past few months with curved sleeves. It's all mid-grade Silver and Bronze so you'd never otherwise notice, but it still matters. Sigh.
Post 194 IP   flag post
@figment sorry man 😪
Post 195 IP   flag post
Cracked a book that was curved. It still looks curved in the well but not as pronounced. Idk if it's the case or the well but either way; it's going to cbcs.
Post 196 IP   flag post
Collector SauceDog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I only have one incoming, but I'll also update if there's a curve when I receive it. I got it for $29 and couldn't find a raw in similar condition for the price. I think grading costs more than that for 1974 so it was worth the risk. I'm still rational and stay away from anything pricey. I don't know if I can say the same about @ComicNinja0215

The general thought on the CGC boards is that it's 1975-present CGC 437 series or higher books is where the problem warping is found, so yours might be fine based on the year (though it is in the newer # range)

Post 197 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
my 434...is bowed inside.

Post 198 IP   flag post
@GAC 😪
Post 199 IP   flag post
Collector SauceDog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Looks like the problem then goes further back than last December submissions. When was your graded?
Post 200 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Looks like the problem then goes further back than last December submissions. When was your graded?

Grade Date: 11/06/2023
Post 201 IP   flag post
I may need to go back to my rule about no new labels.
Post 202 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Welcome to the class action lawsuit. I'm going to check my slabs and see if I qualify.
Post 203 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
I have two that start in 4314 and 4318 that were graded 9/6/23 and 9/26/23 that are both bent badly.
Post 204 IP   flag post
Quote:
Welcome to the class action lawsuit. I'm going to check my slabs and see if I qualify.

I said this in jest, but I'm assuming there will be one. This forum seems like a good place to post a new thread (since CGC won't allow it on theirs) and maybe someone can start a website, similar to the Hero Restoration issue, where people can submit their claims. This definitely isn't something people should look the other way on. It appears CGC does not care about the hobby and has no integrity by continually ignoring this issue.

Edit: I'm a big fan of several auction houses, but if they've known about the issue and have chosen to ignore it as well, I'm sure they'll be added as defendants.
Post 205 IP   flag post
616561 607 30