Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC knowingly damaging books?20972

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I'm surprised they let you return the books. I wonder how they explain to the seller that they aren't getting paid?
Post 126 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson I think Comiclink and MCS are now the owners of those books. That's also why MCS undergrades. They don't want to deal with a bunch of returns on raw consignments.
Post 127 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
What a mess this whole situation has become.

The weird thing to me is that, even today, I see comments on Instagram from people stating that they are about to send some super-expensive books to CGC for grading. And I mean like "really nice Timely Captain America #1" expensive.

At the very least, I think I'd wait to submit a book like that until I was sure that it wasn't going to be damaged by the slab.
Post 128 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
What a mess this whole situation has become.

The weird thing to me is that, even today, I see comments on Instagram from people stating that they are about to send some super-expensive books to CGC for grading. And I mean like "really nice Timely Captain America #1" expensive.

At the very least, I think I'd wait to submit a book like that until I was sure that it wasn't going to be damaged by the slab.

Preach
Post 129 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
@DrWatson I think Comiclink and MCS are now the owners of those books.

I don't see how they could do that. They not going to eat every book that could be potentially returned.

I could see them returning the book to the consignor and telling them to take it up with the cgc.
Post 130 IP   flag post

I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
😐

Post 131 IP   flag post
Ick...
Post 132 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I sure wish I could keep my job if I effed up, big time, and as many times as Nelson has.
I don't know what he is still doing there; or what value he is adding.
And even if he is adding some value we're unaware of, take a look at the carnage for the last several years. It's just brutal.
Post 133 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

I don't see how they could do that. They not going to eat every book that could be potentially returned.

I could see them returning the book to the consignor and telling them to take it up with the cgc.

A lot of times comiclink submits through their own account after the customer sends them raw books. If they don't have their own quality control and deal with cgc themselves, they're definitely on the hook. Maybe they'll sue CGC too.
Post 134 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
Well the higher up a company you are the harder to get fired. They will probably let 10 percent of the staff go over it and give him a bonus.
Post 135 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
@Jgwalters100 Truer words have never been spoken
Post 136 IP   flag post
Collector PhilCoulson private msg quote post Address this user
As I said in my post above we know that CGC caused the problem, but when ComicLink and MCS sold them in that condition, knowing about the problem, it then became their problem. I feel like they were just as culpable as CGC. A logical person would look for the known issue but perhaps they are so large they simply can't slow the train down to inspect that many comics. Kudos to them for taking care of the little guy and I won't forget it.
Post 137 IP   flag post
What shocks the 💩 out of me is that nobody and I mean nobody of any importance to that company has made a statement.

There is a very long and growing thread of folk's talking about this and ..crickets.

I've went back and forth on which company to send books to about a trillion times; never occurred to me to just use both and forget about it. Egs and pgx are low rung graders but this is a whole new level of dumb.
Post 138 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
One thing I've learned the last several years is if you never admit a mistake or apologize, a lot of people won't think you have done anything wrong.
Post 139 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgwalters100
One thing I've learned the last several years is if you never admit a mistake or apologize, a lot of people won't think you have done anything wrong.

All they have to do is just make a statement saying: "Hey, there is an honest problem with our cases, we are currently working to correct it," " In the meantime, if you happen to have a defective case; please return to us". That's it!!!

I was going to crack a jim lee signed book at nycc but that ship has sailed.
Post 140 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicNinja0215
Quote:

All they have to do is just make a statement saying: "Hey, there is an honest problem with our cases, we are currently working to correct it," " In the meantime, if you happen to have a defective case; please return to us". That's it!!!

lol...sigh....you guys know better than I that we all live in massively litigious societies right? and USA more so
everything goes through lawyers - you can't admit wrong doing because then you need to make it right and that costs big $$$
Far better to say and do nothing especially if there are basically zero repercussions
Post 141 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Quote:

lol...sigh....you guys know better than I that we all live in massively litigious societies right? and USA more so
everything goes through lawyers - you can't admit wrong doing because then you need to make it right and that costs big $$$
Far better to say and do nothing especially if there are basically zero repercussions

True lol it's all fun and games til the suits come out. Anyway, seems like cgc can't stop tripping over their own feet.
Post 142 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Is cgc still using these problematic cases for current submissions?
Post 143 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I think CGC is the problem and they’re so in denial that they’re projecting their own problems onto the slabs and book coming from them. Like malevolent manifestation, but with plastic and books.
Post 144 IP   flag post
@GAC according to the ongoing thread at CGC, they absolutely are.
Post 145 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

The consignor is paid shortly after shipping to the buyer, so hard for the consignee to yank the payment back. I think they do get caught with it, part of the cost of doing business. Hopefully it's a rare occurrence.
Post 146 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I think CGC is the problem and they’re so in denial that they’re projecting their own problems onto the slabs and book coming from them. Like malevolent manifestation, but with plastic and books.

I have a different opinion...

I don't think there is any sense of denial at all. I think they absolutely know there is a problem, but at the same time absolutely refuse to do anything about it - whether this is due to bullheadedness or financial or some other reason, they just opt to bury their heads in the sand.

That opinion is based on their past actions and decisions.
Post 147 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics

Bingo!
Post 148 IP   flag post
Collector electricprune private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCoulson
I would like to tell everyone about my recent experience. First, a shoutout to Davethebrave for bringing this issue to our attention and for direct messaging with me. Sure he wasn't the first person to know about this situation but he was the one who informed others on this site.

About the time I read this fascinating thread, I won several auctions for slabbed comics via ComicLink and another slab via MyComicShop (MCS). Among the ComicLink slabs was an ASM #237 CGC 9.8 and the MCS comic was a Marvel Team-Up #95 CGC 9.8. The comics arrived within a day or two of each other and upon opening each of them I immediately noticed that both were not 9.8 comics. I mean it jumped out at me.
Each had severe spine stresses roughly between the staples which has caused 2-3 spine ticks, a couple of which were severe themselves. I looked at the comics from the side and this thread came to mind as I noticed how bent the comics were. Both had the top and bottom of the comic pressed upward touching the front of the slab and the middle pressed backward touching the back of the slab. It was severe and easy to see with the naked eye when looking from the side. I looked up the cert numbers and one was slabbed in April and the other in May of 2024.

Resolution - First we know this is 100% an issue by CGC, however, I called customer service for each auction company as I feel like they have some responsibility as well since they know about this issue and shouldn't be selling these comics. I also think they have much more stroke with CGC than any individual. I suppose the damage this issue causes is actually hard to see on most comics but it stands out on 9.8s. In any case, I told them I was aware of the issue with CGC and asked if they were. Both affirmed they were aware of it but were brief and I could tell they didn't want to chit chat about it. Both told me to email them pictures and both, to their credit, had me return the comics for full refund. MCS wouldn't pay the return shipping but whatever.

My suggestion is that you should stay away from CGC slabs with certs starting with 43 or 44 as these are the affected ones - that's what someone else on this site said previously and I agree with them. Or maybe just stay away from CGC altogether. I believe this issue is much larger than people realize.

If you’re a member there, you should consider posting this on the CGC Boards in the thread dedicated to this topic. If two of the larger auction houses have to start taking a percentage of their books back due to this, it might not take long before the risk is too great to sell slabs with 43 and 44 numbers. Honestly, I think the issue extends beyond those and goes back even further in some cases.

I’m not sure how they will handle the returns with the consignors, but if they have to wait for their money until the slab can go through another auction process, they aren’t going to be happy either.
Post 149 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Quote:
@GAC according to the ongoing thread at CGC, they absolutely are.

yeah...I would expect they need to use up existing inventory never mind the lead time to get a correction into production.

No way on earth CGC has any sort of provision for old/obsolete inventory and I would guess they aren't getting cases made on demand with regular deliveries....they must be buying 6 months or more of stock at a time - can't imagine whomever makes these isn't making other things for larger more important customers so CGC is really getting slabs when the supplier can fit them in (with minimum production runs too!)

So like yeah...6 months to a year to run down current stock maybe longer depending if they need a re-supply before a fix is into production...however long it takes to design/test/approve a fix!
Post 150 IP   flag post
With all the shenanigans going on over there, I switched the book I was going to send to cgc ( even with the incentive they gave me)to CBCS. This is the second time I've done this within a month. Sorry, not sorry.
Post 151 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Between depressed graded values & CGC incompetence, I'm all but done for awhile.
Still doing Signature series as they carry a premium, on average.

But I can get less aggravation from digging into a honey badger's den than dealing with that company in sarasota that is worse run than the mickey mouse club
Post 152 IP   flag post
I just didn't want to risk it. It's scary, I like the cgc case but there are a lot of instances where this a bigger problem than just a few bad inner wells that got through.

Pgx has more credibility and thats hard to say.
Post 153 IP   flag post
Annnnnd my last book from cgc is bent inside, what a shocker!!! Cbcs all the way. I'm heading over rhee to turn my membership off. Hopefully, you guys can welcome me back.
Post 154 IP   flag post
Quote:
Hopefully, you guys can welcome me back.

I wasn't aware that you left again. It's hard to keep up with your decisions that are always in flux.
Post 155 IP   flag post
616560 607 30