Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC knowingly damaging books?20972

being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Post 101 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
One of the previous CGC bad slab designs was known as the Frankenslab or creep engine slab. How about calling this one the Banana Boat Slab?
Post 102 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
or the Boomerang Slab.....the problem that keeps coming back.
Post 103 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Why is this so hard?? What witchcraft did CBCS conjure that nobody else seems to be able to accomplish??
Post 104 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
One of the previous CGC bad slab designs was known as the Frankenslab or creep engine slab. How about calling this one the Banana Boat Slab?

Post 105 IP   flag post

Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
or the Boomerang Slab.....the problem that keeps coming back.

Post 106 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Those kind of errors by CGC wouldn't be NEARLY as hard to swallow if they didn't LIE to us about how they happened. It pisses me off to no end that they say they do one thing, but it's so obvious that they do another. <--- and that goes for many, many of their procedures.

Everybody makes mistakes. Everybody. But to continuously refuse to own it ... unacceptable.

It also makes me shake my head when I see people (CGC employees and collectors) continuously defend them for their screwups/lies. It's one thing to be vocal about how much you like them, it's another thing, altogether, to continuously defend them for those same screwups/lies.
Post 107 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Those kind of errors by CGC wouldn't be NEARLY as hard to swallow if they didn't LIE to us about how they happened. It pisses me off to no end that they say they do one thing, but it's so obvious that they do another. <--- and that goes for many, many of their procedures.

Everybody makes mistakes. Everybody. But to continuously refuse to own it ... unacceptable.

It also makes me shake my head when I see people (CGC employees and collectors) continuously defend them for their screwups/lies. It's one thing to be vocal about how much you like them, it's another thing, altogether, to continuously defend them for those same screwups/lies.

....especially when these same people will crucify CBCS and other competitors for a fraction of these wrongdoings.....hypocrisy at its finest and their credibility at its lowest.
Post 108 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Mean while at CGC..

Post 109 IP   flag post

Post 110 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Ongoing, at CGC.

Post 111 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
I have (unfortunately) sent a bunch of books, including very high grade, very high value, books in for grading.

@Davethebrave happy birthday! I hope this turned out well.
Post 112 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave Happy birthday!!
Post 113 IP   flag post
Happy birthday dave!
Post 114 IP   flag post
I got screwed six ways to Sunday. sborock_ComicLink private msg quote post Address this user
Happy birthday, Dave!!!🎁
Post 115 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks! As for the results of my submission, two back so far and both show no issues… no conclusions until the rest are returned, however…
Post 116 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave Happy Birthday
I hope you partied very hard!
Post 117 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave - Hope you had a blast on your birthday!
Post 118 IP   flag post
I book I had graded there in 2023 has a slight "bow" in it. Looks kind of like a frown face.

As soon as I get a chance I'll send it here to straighten it out.
Post 119 IP   flag post
I gave customer service a call regarding my book that I believed was curved. I finally got a response back saying this is normal and within grading standards. I sent a reply email back which read like this:

Thank you for getting back to me ; much appreciated.  The customer service team at cgc has always  been great to work with.  

Unfortunately,  I feel this response is unacceptable.  I don't belive this is a  normal occurance . I feel that my future  of grading with CGC is uncertain. I'd like to see books returned to customers without bending inside their case. I will be seeking business with competition grading company for the time being.  I may return one day to continue submitting books regularly but for right now ; I have to step away .I wish the best of luck in the future.  

Sincerely, 

Nicholas 

Sorry charlie, home don't play that.
Post 120 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Good job Homie!
Post 121 IP   flag post
Like, seriously?? What is wrong with you people lol.

This isn't about just me though; it's about everyone. So, big shout out to @Davethebrave because we wouldn't know about this if he didn't report on it first. 👍
Post 122 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard

....especially when these same people will crucify CBCS and other competitors for a fraction of these wrongdoings.....hypocrisy at its finest and their credibility at its lowest.

We're the Miss congeniality of comic grading. We get the respect but in some folk's eyes we'll always be number 2.

That's okay, that means we're the sh*t!!
Post 123 IP   flag post
Collector PhilCoulson private msg quote post Address this user
I would like to tell everyone about my recent experience. First, a shoutout to Davethebrave for bringing this issue to our attention and for direct messaging with me. Sure he wasn't the first person to know about this situation but he was the one who informed others on this site.

About the time I read this fascinating thread, I won several auctions for slabbed comics via ComicLink and another slab via MyComicShop (MCS). Among the ComicLink slabs was an ASM #237 CGC 9.8 and the MCS comic was a Marvel Team-Up #95 CGC 9.8. The comics arrived within a day or two of each other and upon opening each of them I immediately noticed that both were not 9.8 comics. I mean it jumped out at me.
Each had severe spine stresses roughly between the staples which has caused 2-3 spine ticks, a couple of which were severe themselves. I looked at the comics from the side and this thread came to mind as I noticed how bent the comics were. Both had the top and bottom of the comic pressed upward touching the front of the slab and the middle pressed backward touching the back of the slab. It was severe and easy to see with the naked eye when looking from the side. I looked up the cert numbers and one was slabbed in April and the other in May of 2024.

Resolution - First we know this is 100% an issue by CGC, however, I called customer service for each auction company as I feel like they have some responsibility as well since they know about this issue and shouldn't be selling these comics. I also think they have much more stroke with CGC than any individual. I suppose the damage this issue causes is actually hard to see on most comics but it stands out on 9.8s. In any case, I told them I was aware of the issue with CGC and asked if they were. Both affirmed they were aware of it but were brief and I could tell they didn't want to chit chat about it. Both told me to email them pictures and both, to their credit, had me return the comics for full refund. MCS wouldn't pay the return shipping but whatever.

My suggestion is that you should stay away from CGC slabs with certs starting with 43 or 44 as these are the affected ones - that's what someone else on this site said previously and I agree with them. Or maybe just stay away from CGC altogether. I believe this issue is much larger than people realize.
Post 124 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@PhilCoulson thank you for posting this. Unfortunately, even scans can hide indentations and other damages to comics.

Edit: Also, I'm sure there will be a massive class-action lawsuit against the CGC for this in the not too distant future. I won't be involved since I mainly collect dreck.
Post 125 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I'm surprised they let you return the books. I wonder how they explain to the seller that they aren't getting paid?
Post 126 IP   flag post
@DrWatson I think Comiclink and MCS are now the owners of those books. That's also why MCS undergrades. They don't want to deal with a bunch of returns on raw consignments.
Post 127 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
What a mess this whole situation has become.

The weird thing to me is that, even today, I see comments on Instagram from people stating that they are about to send some super-expensive books to CGC for grading. And I mean like "really nice Timely Captain America #1" expensive.

At the very least, I think I'd wait to submit a book like that until I was sure that it wasn't going to be damaged by the slab.
Post 128 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
What a mess this whole situation has become.

The weird thing to me is that, even today, I see comments on Instagram from people stating that they are about to send some super-expensive books to CGC for grading. And I mean like "really nice Timely Captain America #1" expensive.

At the very least, I think I'd wait to submit a book like that until I was sure that it wasn't going to be damaged by the slab.

Preach
Post 129 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
@DrWatson I think Comiclink and MCS are now the owners of those books.

I don't see how they could do that. They not going to eat every book that could be potentially returned.

I could see them returning the book to the consignor and telling them to take it up with the cgc.
Post 130 IP   flag post
616562 607 30