Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC knowingly damaging books?20972

I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders spine tick or two as well
Post 76 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Drek makes the world go round. Keys are for assholes. There, I said it!

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Post 77 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
are often the results of a bad ress job

Maybe it's a bad press job from CGC, followed by bad encapsulation.
Post 78 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders Completely possible.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:
are often the results of a bad ress job

Maybe it's a bad press job from CGC, followed by bad encapsulation.
Quote:
@flanders Completely possible.

I found a picture of you 2ā€¦

Post 80 IP   flag post

I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Am I the weirdo with the goatee or the weirdo with the goatee and a beret?
Post 81 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Spoke at length with CGC customer service. They agreed to put in writing that there is no current issue with inner well/holders and that my books will not be damaged through processing and encapsulation.

That is sufficient for my purposes at the moment. Having the exchange documented was key.

My book showing signs of the inner well curve has no apparent damage that makes it inconsistent with its 9.8 grade (thankfully). I will consider a reholdering of the book, though will wait for my recent grading batch to be returned before sending anything inā€¦

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/350613-where-in-the-world-was-the-quality-control-at-cgc/page/310/#comments check post by Complex306 10 hours ago
Post 82 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Iā€™ll just leave this hereā€¦

Post 83 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
@Galen130 I don't even have words for this. I don't even have words. And if I start with words, there will be many many many bad words; so I remain having no words
Post 84 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 Word!!! šŸ‘šŸ™‚

Post 85 IP   flag post
Ooofff...šŸ˜¬
Post 86 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen130

(meanwhile at CGC) "Dude!!! That was my skull! I'm so wasted!!!"
Post 87 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
Quote:

(meanwhile at CGC) "Dude!!! That was my skull! I'm so wasted!!!"

Post 88 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Am I the weirdo with the goatee or the weirdo with the goatee and a beret?
Iā€™m pretty sure you are Adam Savage and Dr Watson is Jamie Hyneman.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Quote:

The upside down variant
Post 90 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicNinja0215
Quote:

The upside down variant

dang!!!! and here I was looking for CPV issues....
Post 91 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Reminds me of this classicā€¦

Post 92 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
These things kinda prove that QC is not part of either company's infrastructure.
One person can make the mistake when making the product.
But a second person who is responsible for QC letting it go?
Nope - doesn't make sense to me.
Or perhaps QC is a sampling of the total as is done in some manufacturing.

I just can't see how two people (or more) can miss these; and allow to go out to their customer base.

We're all being railroaded if we are lead to believe there is a QC department and they're doing 100% inspection.
Post 93 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
The issue is that people doing a routine process are ripe for these mistakes. As incredible as it seems with the examples, it could be as simple as someone ordering (positioning) the slab in the wrong direction for a standard assembly and then similarly, the mis-oriented book flows through another assembly-type QC process. I think the ā€œtwo person reviewā€ is in the grading stage and likely eats up most of the labor time that can be directed to comic grading.

Consider all the steps involved in grading a comic and then consider the prices charged.

For modern books letā€™s assume $25. Now, consider the handling steps of the books:
* inbound logistics (receiving, opening, sorting, transporting and placing books)
* invoice matching and data entry (partially automated)
* grading steps and handling
* encapsulation steps
* QC steps
* outbound logistics and data entry
* other overhead that is fixed and needs to be allocated (building, utilities, CS, marketing etc)
* add on the materials cost for the slabbing itself

Now, consider where the average hourly pay stands in the US. So how much total time can be allocated and still achieve some semblance of margin? This is a business that relies mostly on US labor, so not like your shoes or cheap electronics. If you factor all the above in, you will see that the manual labor time that can be spent per book at the lower price points is exceptionally small.

So I am not shocked by these seemingly stupid errors. If someone places the slab in the wrong direction, and the reviewer is doing his routine work ā€¦ it could slip through. Of course there are ways to catch this or reduce the likelihood, but noone would pay to absolutely eliminate the mistakesā€¦ except when the books are worth big $$$ā€¦ and where the fees are commensurately higher.
Post 94 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
These upside down book errors are extremely rare.....once the inner well was divided, seperating the label from the comic, it made mistakes like this more likely but it's still rare....to the point that it doesn't even matter.
Post 95 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
These upside down book errors are extremely rare.....once the inner well was divided, seperating the label from the comic, it made mistakes like this more likely but it's still rare....to the point that it doesn't even matter.

And eliminating the chance of it ever happening is not cost-effective. Especially vs the cost to correctā€¦

The real investment of time has to be in authenticating books vs forgeries. Especially high-value books. The moment a pure forgery slips by of something like an AF15 or AC1, etcā€¦ that is when the confidence in grading takes a massive hit.
Post 96 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
I don't even think it's a miss.
I think they may have random sampling during QC for low value books.
This is just too obvious even for the boring, routine, low pay employee to miss.

And it bothers the F out of me because it is yet another example of their incompetence that is just tossed aside as "well it's a low cost organization that needs to keep prices down, so all these mistakes we see are bound to happen".

It's too much; too often; and in too many areas in Total to just brush aside incompetence and unacceptable outcomes.
Maybe this alone is acceptable and brushed aside; but not ALL the topics we see is NOT acceptable.
Their Quality, in total, for all issues, sucks and that is the mic drop.

My "Mechanical Error" rate of return is around 15 - 20% for the last few years. Is that ok because they have to keep costs down? No it is not
Post 97 IP   flag post
I got screwed six ways to Sunday. sborock_ComicLink private msg quote post Address this user
QC was VERY important to me, Haspel and Litch when opening CGC. Same when I opened CBCS.
Beckett got rid of QC when they acquired CBCS. Dumb move! That said, they have now a QC person or persons. A bit too late. CGC has NO excuse. Period.
We must protect our hobby!!!!!
Post 98 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
is it? I was thinking art was subjective to perception. Perhaps the true meaning of this captured moment of Spawn comes through at this upside down perspective šŸ¤” Todd is playing games? The rest are actually slabbed wrong? šŸ¤Æ
Post 99 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
is it? I was thinking art was subjective to perception. Perhaps the true meaning of this captured moment of Spawn comes through at this upside down perspective šŸ¤” Todd is playing games? The rest are actually slabbed wrong? šŸ¤Æ

CBCS QC are expressing themselves artistically!
Post 100 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Post 101 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
One of the previous CGC bad slab designs was known as the Frankenslab or creep engine slab. How about calling this one the Banana Boat Slab?
Post 102 IP   flag post
or the Boomerang Slab.....the problem that keeps coming back.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Why is this so hard?? What witchcraft did CBCS conjure that nobody else seems to be able to accomplish??
Post 104 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
One of the previous CGC bad slab designs was known as the Frankenslab or creep engine slab. How about calling this one the Banana Boat Slab?

Post 105 IP   flag post
616565 607 30