Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC knowingly damaging books?20972

I got screwed six ways to Sunday. sborock_ComicLink private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders LOL!!!

There is no "dreck" in comics for collectors who happen to like what others don't, just lower value to a bunch of collectors and, especially "flippers".

A low price doesn't always mean a comic was not a great read. If there is an abundance of a comic you want to collect, that is actually great! It costs you so very little to own something you dig and help keeps our hobby fun! It's why we are in it.

But speculator's, flippers and the collectors, who can afford and love big expensive key and rare books, keep those prices high.

I know that "back in the day", that myself, Dan, Dwight and Eddie and a very few others were paying HUGE prices for More Fun Comics between #'s 42-101 in high grade. The entire GA Flash run and the Adventure run from #'s 40-103 and other cool high-grade copies of comics that fell out of fashion for a few years before.

I was told, many years ago, by a huge dealer, that when I and two others had what we needed/wanted and stopped paying the highest prices, the market was cut by 40% for those kinds of sellers. CRAZY, but true!
Post 51 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Spoke at length with CGC customer service. They agreed to put in writing that there is no current issue with inner well/holders and that my books will not be damaged through processing and encapsulation.

That is sufficient for my purposes at the moment. Having the exchange documented was key.

My book showing signs of the inner well curve has no apparent damage that makes it inconsistent with its 9.8 grade (thankfully). I will consider a reholdering of the book, though will wait for my recent grading batch to be returned before sending anything in…
Post 52 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Spoke at length with CGC customer service. They agreed to put in writing that there is no current issue with inner well/holders and that my books will not be damaged through processing and encapsulation.

That is sufficient for my purposes at the moment. Having the exchange documented was key.

My book showing signs of the inner well curve has no apparent damage that makes it inconsistent with its 9.8 grade (thankfully). I will consider a reholdering of the book, though will wait for my recent grading batch to be returned before sending anything in…

Thanks Dave, I appreciate getting this info to us. 👍
Post 53 IP   flag post
No problem.

Something I strongly suggest that made me feel (slightly) less concerned about another CGC debacle: photograph and take videos of high value books before submission. I did this for all my higher value books. Out of mylar, handling carefully, photos from various angles. Video “walk around” of my most important ones. If something comes back that doesn’t match - I have strong evidence and a basis for comparison.

Unrelated comment - CBCS needs to play better defense (and offense) here. I was ripe for a submission but the price difference was simply too great. CBCS would do well with similar “bulk” discounts - get customers to send volume orders their way. Not dealer type volume, but collector level big batches…
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
No problem.

Something I strongly suggest that made me feel (slightly) less concerned about another CGC debacle: photograph and take videos of high value books before submission. I did this for all my higher value books. Out of mylar, handling carefully, photos from various angles. Video “walk around” of my most important ones. If something comes back that doesn’t match - I have strong evidence and a basis for comparison.

Unrelated comment - CBCS needs to play better defense (and offense) here. I was ripe for a submission but the price difference was simply too great. CBCS would do well with similar “bulk” discounts - get customers to send volume orders their way. Not dealer type volume, but collector level big batches…

1000% agree. I would send more to cbcs that way. Dave for president!
Post 55 IP   flag post

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Absolutely agree. Not just grading prices either, their shipping + insurance prices are way higher than CGC.
Post 56 IP   flag post
@esaravo astute as always ed.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:

Absolutely agree. Not just grading prices either, their shipping + insurance prices are way higher than CGC.

It's a crazy difference..and for us Canadian folk for some reason I don't get the FedEx hustle where I need to pay extra for "brokerage fees" when using CGC either!
Post 58 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@sborock_ComicLink I don't blame you for not wanting to go back to the daily grind of grading comic books, you've graded too many in your life.

I first met Steve at the inaugural CBCS grading expo.
Part of the package was 25 free economy comics graded.
I took along my Flash 105 that had amateur restoration and the book was missing a page.
I knew this when I bought it off my lcs back in Australia for $50 and since the book was valued under $400 it could get graded for free because of the deal.
The books were not graded right then and there just a quick evaluation. And later graded properly over the next few weeks.

Steve removed the Flash out of the Mylar and instantly turned to me and said the book was incomplete without opening it.
Instantly knowing a book is incomplete because of its weight in your hand tells me you've graded way more comic books then anyone I know.

As for submitting books I always take photos of all books submitted to make sure they are not damaged in the third parties grading care.

Touch wood no problems for me so far.
Post 59 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Quote:

It's a crazy difference..and for us Canadian folk for some reason I don't get the FedEx hustle where I need to pay extra for "brokerage fees" when using CGC either!

Agreed!! CBCS is superior in every way so (in my opinion) charging more can make sense but if they truly want to compete with the CGC monster they do need to drop their prices some, or incent smallish bulk submissions...10 books or so. CBCS is very expensive...especially to Canadians (but I'm sure we are not even considered as the Canadian market is way too small for them to truly address with any significance). I hope CBCS doesn't price themselves into permanent #2 in the market (unless that's what they want) but it'd be nice to see CBCS grow at the expense of CGC. I'd like CBCS to have 35%+ marketshare, that would be nice to see. The shipping brokerage fees ONLY apply to ground ship...no brokerage fees for the other shipping option.
Post 60 IP   flag post
We can put this in cbcs suggestion box. Who do we call to get this moving??
Post 61 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed!! CBCS is superior in every way so (in my opinion) charging more can make sense but if they truly want to compete with the CGC monster they do need to drop their prices some, or incent smallish bulk submissions...10 books or so. CBCS is very expensive...especially to Canadians (but I'm sure we are not even considered as the Canadian market is way too small for them to truly address with any significance). I hope CBCS doesn't price themselves into permanent #2 in the market (unless that's what they want) but it'd be nice to see CBCS grow at the expense of CGC. I'd like CBCS to have 35%+ marketshare, that would be nice to see. The shipping brokerage fees ONLY apply to ground ship...no brokerage fees for the other shipping option.
CBCS is a better deal for big books no? Don’t they cap premium grading fees for values of $10k+ at $200? I can see an influx of the drek people send in having an increase in pricing for them to deal with that trash. Surely they get tired of seeing Spider-Man 1. I sadly have 10 copies waiting to go to them🤣
Post 62 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Drek makes the world go round. Keys are for assholes. There, I said it!
Post 63 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

lol!!!
Post 64 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

CBCS is a better deal for big books no? Don’t they cap premium grading fees for values of $10k+ at $200? I can see an influx of the drek people send in having an increase in pricing for them to deal with that trash. Surely they get tired of seeing Spider-Man 1. I sadly have 10 copies waiting to go to them🤣

I think you're right about the top tier books. Personally, I'd like to see them have a sale for vintage/pre-1975 under $1000 or whatever their mid-range tiers are.
Post 65 IP   flag post
We can have a coupon day...

Guy that gets eaten on the toilet in jurassic park.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Submit 5 or more vintage tier books and receive a 8.00 dollar coupon for a meal at the cbcs cafeteria....

No, thats not it.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicNinja0215

Quote:
Submit 5 or more vintage tier books and receive a 8.00 dollar coupon for a meal at the cbcs cafeteria....

No, thats not it.

Post 68 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:

Quote:

No, thats not it.

You get a discount... and you get a discount..

EVERYBODY GETS A DISCOUNT!!! lol
Post 69 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
CGC Company Mantra:

Post 70 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
CGC Company Mantra:

Like a bowel movement........
Post 71 IP   flag post
Post 72 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

lol.....
Post 73 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
You can clearly see it on this book, especially the right side with all the waves. I wonder how many thousands of books CGC has damaged. They truly do not care about the hobby.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=61108998
Post 74 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I am the last person to defend the cgc, but waves or ripples like that are often the results of a bad ress job. It's usually a result of too much moisture or premature removal from the press.

It would be a candidate for a proper press and resub as it's likely to get a grade bump.
Post 75 IP   flag post
@flanders spine tick or two as well
Post 76 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

🤣🤣🤣

Post 77 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
are often the results of a bad ress job

Maybe it's a bad press job from CGC, followed by bad encapsulation.
Post 78 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders Completely possible.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:
are often the results of a bad ress job

Maybe it's a bad press job from CGC, followed by bad encapsulation.
Quote:
@flanders Completely possible.

I found a picture of you 2…

Post 80 IP   flag post
616557 607 30