Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC knowingly damaging books?20972

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
You know that if the cgc has a ton of bad product, then they aren't going to just dump it. They will use it up before correcting the error, correct those that complain, and not give a toss about the ones who don't.
Post 651 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson i don't remember what YouTube video i watched recently but I remember they said it was still a problem.
Post 652 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
You know that if the cgc has a ton of bad product, then they aren't going to just dump it. They will use it up before correcting the error, correct those that complain, and not give a toss about the ones who don't.

This 100%
If there is a design improvement involved, there are 3 possible Dispositions of existing material: Use Up, Rework, or Scrap. Any business that institutes a design change and has inventory must deal with dispositions of current material.

I highly suspect that CGC is utilizing the "Use-Up" disposition with any design improvements regardless of the customer complaints. If they were to utilize Rework (which may not be possible) or Scrap, that would involve potentially some serious $$$
Post 653 IP   flag post
Collector Danimal1112 private msg quote post Address this user
This is my first time posting here. I started collecting again about a year ago. When I started collecting slabs, it was obvious that the general consensus was CGC was the leader in graded comics space. I struggle to see how between the swapping of books scandal, this bent inner well issue, and very inconsistent grading. Even now there are still reports of the inner wells bending books. When I am in the market for a new book, I have tried to look for CBCS slabs for sale, but there really is not a lot out there online. It’s a pretty viscous cycle. I can tell from a short period of creating this login and navigating CBCS’s website, they need to upgrade the website to be more user friendly. It took me a while just to find where to look up a certification number for example. However, what I care most about is the quality of the grading and that the case actually preserves the book’s condition. I don’t submit much and more prefer to buy graded books. Are there similar issues with CBCS that has caused them to lose ground to CGC even with the hot garbage state they are in right now? Thanks!
Post 654 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the forum, @Danimal1112.

I don't think that CBCS has "lost ground" to CGC. In fact, I think CBCS has gained a small amount of marketshare lately although that's based just what I see and hear rather than hard numbers.

CGC started years before CBCS did so they have pretty much always been the largest comic grading company. With that said, I still believe that CBCS has a superior case and more consistent grading.
Post 655 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967

I don't think that CBCS has "lost ground" to CGC. In fact, I think CBCS has gained a small amount of marketshare lately although that's based just what I see and hear rather than hard numbers.

CGC started years before CBCS did so they have pretty much always been the largest comic grading company. With that said, I still believe that CBCS has a superior case and more consistent grading.

Thanks and I appreciate the info. I never really looked at the history and only am going off of inventory available online at EBay, HA, MCS, etc and my initial research when starting. I have invested a decent amount this past year, and I guess I am just shocked by the size difference and the amount of blind followers/defenders. I hope this current issue opens peoples eyes more and start to see more adopters of other grading companies. Competition is good for every industry. Without it, you get the current scenario where they damage books and continue to this day to flat out deny it and try to convince people that books are supposed to be bent. I am sure this adds to the raw books is best argument, but I prefer graded for more expensive books to make sure they are complete and not restored.
Post 656 IP   flag post
I have a friend who just received an order of vintage books back from the cgc off the back of a codeword special from theee ago. 33% of his submission are in banana wells. So much for the cgc resolving the issue... unless resolving the issue is to put all the eras in banana wells hoping that no one notices.
Post 657 IP   flag post
Collector electricprune private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I have a friend who just received an order of vintage books back from the cgc off the back of a codeword special from theee ago. 33% of his submission are in banana wells. So much for the cgc resolving the issue... unless resolving the issue is to put all the eras in banana wells hoping that no one notices.

Vintage books, Doc? Those have been very rare so far. I have seen a small amount, but not many.
Post 658 IP   flag post
Vintage books.
Post 659 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson sadly probably putting all eras in bananas is the fastest way to burn through the problem...ie use up bad inventory faster!
Post 660 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal1112
Quote:

Thanks and I appreciate the info. I never really looked at the history and only am going off of inventory available online at EBay, HA, MCS, etc and my initial research when starting. I have invested a decent amount this past year, and I guess I am just shocked by the size difference and the amount of blind followers/defenders. I hope this current issue opens peoples eyes more and start to see more adopters of other grading companies. Competition is good for every industry. Without it, you get the current scenario where they damage books and continue to this day to flat out deny it and try to convince people that books are supposed to be bent. I am sure this adds to the raw books is best argument, but I prefer graded for more expensive books to make sure they are complete and not restored.
I feel like the “lower” number of CBCS books for sale vs CGC is purely clientele. There are many of us here who slab for our PC as the majority of our submissions leaving less of our books on the market. There are those of us who slab for resale too. I think there are more CBCS slabs being held on to by hobbyists to enjoy and then cash in when needed or when the time is right.

CGC has their hobbyist clientele as well, but they have a massive following of flippers who literally slab everything to make a dollar on hype and all that trash is for sale along with the good books.

CBCS is used by flippers and dealers too but they don’t get the gift grades.

I really hope PSA does well and is good competition for CBCS and CGC can shut their doors or get it together.
Post 661 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal1112
Quote:

I feel like the “lower” number of CBCS books for sale vs CGC is purely clientele. There are many of us here who slab for our PC as the majority of our submissions leaving less of our books on the market. There are those of us who slab for resale too. I think there are more CBCS slabs being held on to by hobbyists to enjoy and then cash in when needed or when the time is right.

CGC has their hobbyist clientele as well, but they have a massive following of flippers who literally slab everything to make a dollar on hype and all that trash is for sale along with the good books.

CBCS is used by flippers and dealers too but they don’t get the gift grades.

I really hope PSA does well and is good competition for CBCS and CGC can shut their doors or get it together.

Interesting and makes sense. I appreciate the insight and actually suspected that could be a contributing factor.
Post 662 IP   flag post
619666 662 12