Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC knowingly damaging books?20972

It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Yesterday, just after the "toilet seat" posts, I dropped an allergy pill on the bathroom floor. It bounced around and came to rest on the toilet base/flange, near the plastic cap that covers the bolt.

If you think I retrieved it and swallowed it, vote 1 check mark.

If you think I threw it out and got a new pill, vote 2 check marks.

If you have a "custom remark" or alternative scenario, please leave 3 check marks and add a post.

Answer tomorrow.
Post 526 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I voted 3 check marks for having retrieved it, washed it in the toilet, then swallowed it.
Post 527 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Speaking of toilets; has a anyone heard anything else from cgc?
Post 528 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
I voted 3 check marks for having retrieved it, washed it in the toilet, then swallowed it.
I should have left an option for custom responses,
Post 529 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
Quote:

You can still update your post to add option 3.
Post 530 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

He ain't lying....
Post 531 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like a plan!
Post 532 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicNinja0215
CGC is worse than a toilet. It's a PAY toilet (do those still exist?)
Post 533 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know but I want to know a place that has a pay toilet. What if i can't pay? I'm supposed to 💩 myself?? Whack. 🤣
Post 534 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Personally, I would have used it still. Although, I’ll shut up now as I’ve done enough damage.
Post 535 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
A little birdie told me there might be a CBCS banana promo code for big time savings?
Post 536 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
A little birdie told me there might be a CBCS banana promo code for big time savings?

There is! 💪
Post 537 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
In 2012, I slowly got back into collecting and reading comics. Mostly finished off a few series I had sporadically worked on over the years like the three main Punisher titles from the late 1980s-mid 1990s and a working my way through some of the IDW Transformers titles I had been collecting. While looking on ebay, I saw listings of CGC-graded comics. I wasn't sure what it was and went to an LCS when I came home on leave in 2013. The store owner explained it to me and said he could submit on my behalf and helped me parse through a few issues to find stuff that would be higher grade. So that was my first CGC submission.

In 2015, I met a friend through my Wednesday night bowling league who was into comics. He invited me over one day and showed me the process for submissions and setting up an account with the CGC. It seemed easy enough. I paid for the cheapest tier because I didn't know how much I would submit but I started with a few books and then it was like dozens or some shit. I don't remember the exact amount. Also, in 2015, I found out about CBCS and submitted here as well. It was less expensive at the time for submissions plus I didn't need to purchase an account to submit.
Whenever the creep engine/Frankenslab debacle occurred at CGC was when my submissions to CGC ground to a halt. I called and had them cancel orders and send my books back. I had some books that Dick Pontoon or Ditch Fahrenheit had used in a video to show what was happening. All those books were sent to CFP for a crack and press before Joe sent them to CBCS. Only through divine intervention did the books make it to CBCS since they have a long track record of losing/stealing books. That last sentence was sarcasm.

Fast forward to mid 2018 and I'm back from an Afghanistan deployment. I decide to take a chance on a CGC submission again. As far as I could tell, things were ok. Since 2018, I don't think I've submitted more than 30 books to CGC. Bananagate is probably it for me. Between creep engine, warped wells, the misappropriation of comics by employees, and the complete lack of accountability from anyone involved, I don't see myself using the product again. Trust your gut, gentlemen (and the probably four females on the boards).

Now at the risk of coming off like a moron or a twat, I might still buy a CGC slab, but I typically look for the CBCS version first. I have a great career, so I'm also not in this to flip the flavor of the week. I know that some of the flippers/Vollidioten will publicly be upset with CGC while quietly sending their wares to them, and that's their choice. Most likely, I'll continue using CBCS. That isn't to say that CBCS hasn't had its faults. Oh Lord, there were a few. Customer service probably still needs to be unfu**ked but I've yet to have the CS problems others have had. On the other hand, I prefer my personal property to not get messed up by negligence or malice. My choice is clear (see what I did there).

That may have been one of my more well-thought-out posts on the forum. I wouldn't expect more of that.
Post 538 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know but I want to know a place that has a pay toilet. What if i can't pay? I'm supposed to 💩 myself?? Whack. 🤣

Last time I saw a pay toilet was Ocean City on the boardwalk. It was ironic since the bathroom was all around me.
Post 539 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111

I haven't submitted since 2022. I bought my first CBCS slab with the new label and it's appeeling 🍌. I suppose I'll be sending some in. All of them need to be pressed and cleaned. I'm actually excited to submit again, it's been too long.

Maybe you can make a new thread with the promo code where we can share what we're submitting.
Post 540 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley I think we’re down to 2. Birdie and Wonder Woman dipped out.
Post 541 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
In 2012, I slowly got back into collecting and reading comics. Mostly finished off a few series I had sporadically worked on over the years like the three main Punisher titles from the late 1980s-mid 1990s and a working my way through some of the IDW Transformers titles I had been collecting. While looking on ebay, I saw listings of CGC-graded comics. I wasn't sure what it was and went to an LCS when I came home on leave in 2013. The store owner explained it to me and said he could submit on my behalf and helped me parse through a few issues to find stuff that would be higher grade. So that was my first CGC submission.

In 2015, I met a friend through my Wednesday night bowling league who was into comics. He invited me over one day and showed me the process for submissions and setting up an account with the CGC. It seemed easy enough. I paid for the cheapest tier because I didn't know how much I would submit but I started with a few books and then it was like dozens or some shit. I don't remember the exact amount. Also, in 2015, I found out about CBCS and submitted here as well. It was less expensive at the time for submissions plus I didn't need to purchase an account to submit.
Whenever the creep engine/Frankenslab debacle occurred at CGC was when my submissions to CGC ground to a halt. I called and had them cancel orders and send my books back. I had some books that Dick Pontoon or Ditch Fahrenheit had used in a video to show what was happening. All those books were sent to CFP for a crack and press before Joe sent them to CBCS. Only through divine intervention did the books make it to CBCS since they have a long track record of losing/stealing books. That last sentence was sarcasm.

Fast forward to mid 2018 and I'm back from an Afghanistan deployment. I decide to take a chance on a CGC submission again. As far as I could tell, things were ok. Since 2018, I don't think I've submitted more than 30 books to CGC. Bananagate is probably it for me. Between creep engine, warped wells, the misappropriation of comics by employees, and the complete lack of accountability from anyone involved, I don't see myself using the product again. Trust your gut, gentlemen (and the probably four females on the boards).

Now at the risk of coming off like a moron or a twat, I might still buy a CGC slab, but I typically look for the CBCS version first. I have a great career, so I'm also not in this to flip the flavor of the week. I know that some of the flippers/Vollidioten will publicly be upset with CGC while quietly sending their wares to them, and that's their choice. Most likely, I'll continue using CBCS. That isn't to say that CBCS hasn't had its faults. Oh Lord, there were a few. Customer service probably still needs to be unfu**ked but I've yet to have the CS problems others have had. On the other hand, I prefer my personal property to not get messed up by negligence or malice. My choice is clear (see what I did there).

That may have been one of my more well-thought-out posts on the forum. I wouldn't expect more of that.

That was beautiful man and thank you for your service.
Post 542 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last time I saw a pay toilet was Ocean City on the boardwalk. It was ironic since the bathroom was all around me.
Almost 50 years ago, I was riding around with a real estate agent looking at income properties. I don't know how the topic came up, but he said his uncle was very well off because he had patented the pay toilet. And many businesses were implementing them at that time.
Post 543 IP   flag post
That's interesting; I'm gonna have to google pay toilet now. I wonder if it was as. It as the pet rock? I heard that was a big deal.
Post 544 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics

It’s one of the reasons why I require a waiver. The ratio of books I have sent to CGC vs. CBCS in the past has to be 5,000 to 1. In all that time, CBCS has lost more books total compared to CGC.

I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this.

I care what everyone thinks.

In my case, the lost CGC vs. lost CBCS books is flat out true. CGC has misplaced more overall in my case, but they have all but one been found (eventually).
Post 545 IP   flag post
the United States, pay toilets became much less common from the 1970s, when they came under attack from feminists as well as from the plumbing industry. California legislator March Fong Eu argued that they discriminated against females because men and boys could use urinals for free whereas women and girls always had to pay a dime for a toilet "stall
Post 546 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
Well that is true. If I had to pay to piss I would piss wherever. There not getting me for a toilet on top of all the other taxes and fees.
Post 547 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgwalters100
Well that is true. If I had to pay to piss I would piss wherever. There not getting me for a toilet on top of all the other taxes and fees.

Amen, I thought this was america.
Post 548 IP   flag post
The charge to use the bathroom, by way of a coin slot to unlock the door, was to pay for supplies, maintenance, graffiti removal, other vandalism, utilities, etc. It was 5 or 10 cents,

In just about every pay stall was this poem, written on the wall:

Here I sit, brokenhearted.
Paid 10 cents and only farted.
Post 549 IP   flag post
Imagine if taco bell had pay toilets??
Post 550 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@chester15 - I remember it as “Paid my dime and…” There are probably a few versions!
Post 551 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Thus the freedom to take advantage of people in a moment of vulnerability and get away with it as a “tax”, business model, or whatever.
Post 552 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
Quote:

Thus the freedom to take advantage of people in a moment of vulnerability and get away with it as a “tax”, business model, or whatever.

Yeah, you're right.
Post 553 IP   flag post
The 70's were a time of great social, political, and economic upheaval. The Vietnam War was a very devisive force. Vandalism in general became a "thing". Restrooms were easy victims. The pay toilet was a method to mitigate that, rather than just shutter them entirely.
Post 554 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
The last bathroom wall poetry I remember reading went as follows “Those who write on bathroom walls role their shit into little balls, for those who read these words of wit, eat those little balls of shit” The Sand Bar Lawrence Ks
Post 555 IP   flag post
616565 607 30