Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC knowingly damaging books?20972

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
CGC just made a statement about bananagate...

"We have seen reports that some of the soft-plastic wells used inside of the CGC holder exhibit a curve when viewed from the side. After learning of this, we conducted an extensive review and found that the smallest well size, which is used for the thinnest comic books, is more pliable than other wells and, in some cases, will exhibit a slight curve.

Importantly, this curve does not cause any damage to the comic book, and it does not affect the grade in any way. The angle of bend required to create a stress line simply cannot be done within the CGC holder. In addition, very high grade comic books can still exhibit minimal stress lines according to CGC’s official grading standards.

We do not consider this slight curve to be a mechanical error that requires reholdering. Still, we are always listening and want to serve our customers the best way we can. We have found that our next-largest well size does not exhibit this slight curve and have started to use that well in lieu of our smallest size.

We appreciate all of the feedback from our community, and we are grateful to be the hobby’s first choice for grading for nearly 25 years. Many of us are collectors too, and we care deeply about the services that we provide. If you have any comments, questions or concerns, please write to us at Service@CGCcomics.com or call or text us at +1-855-GRADE10."
Post 426 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson I smell a load of crap
Post 427 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
So, it was indeed addressed as evidenced by the books I received back (which sit perfectly flat and are not subject to risk of future magical bending).
Post 428 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicNinja0215
@DrWatson I smell a load of crap

Yeah, the spin doctors worked overtime on that statement.
Post 429 IP   flag post
I still don't belive it's right. Christ, pgx or egs isn't doing that and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were.
Post 430 IP   flag post

Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing like having a nice 9.8 book that's curved but they tell you it's fine. There is no way you would get a 9.8 with that bend if it was sent in like that. I have gotten back so many 9.6 that I couldn't figure out the problem.
Post 431 IP   flag post
The reason for them claiming no damage is obvious. Liability avoidance. It is now up to the customers actually impacted to step up and pressure them for compensation.

What they (the CGC) should do for good long-term relations is own up to the damage and compensate. Nip this in the bud… then again, they may be aware that this is far past the “bud” stage… seems inappropriate to say flowering so perhaps ripening (or rotting).
Post 432 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
The fact that CGC openly states that a bowed book(due to their product) is perfectly fine and does not warrant a re-holder is mind boggling! So by CGC’s own admission, you should be able to send in a bowed or curved book and receive the same grade as a perfectly flat book? That is the definition of bullshit.
Post 433 IP   flag post
Collector SauceDog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
CGC just made a statement about bananagate...

"We have seen reports that some of the soft-plastic wells used inside of the CGC holder exhibit a curve when viewed from the side. After learning of this, we conducted an extensive review and found that the smallest well size, which is used for the thinnest comic books, is more pliable than other wells and, in some cases, will exhibit a slight curve.

Importantly, this curve does not cause any damage to the comic book, and it does not affect the grade in any way. The angle of bend required to create a stress line simply cannot be done within the CGC holder. In addition, very high grade comic books can still exhibit minimal stress lines according to CGC’s official grading standards.

We do not consider this slight curve to be a mechanical error that requires reholdering. Still, we are always listening and want to serve our customers the best way we can. We have found that our next-largest well size does not exhibit this slight curve and have started to use that well in lieu of our smallest size.

We appreciate all of the feedback from our community, and we are grateful to be the hobby’s first choice for grading for nearly 25 years. Many of us are collectors too, and we care deeply about the services that we provide. If you have any comments, questions or concerns, please write to us at Service@CGCcomics.com or call or text us at +1-855-GRADE10."

Translation: It totally is a real problem, but not ACTUALLY a problem, but we are going to change things anyways even though it isn't a problem. Also any problems are acceptable now in this case.

Regardless of their stance on damage, every book should lay flat. That is the customers expectation when slabbing their books, and I'm sure 100% of comic collectors prefer their books be flat.
Post 434 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbolton
The fact that CGC openly states that a bowed book(due to their product) is perfectly fine and does not warrant a re-holder is mind boggling! So by CGC’s own admission, you should be able to send in a bowed or curved book and receive the same grade as a perfectly flat book? That is the definition of bullshit.

Yes, they are being inconsistent. Correcting a problem that they also claim isn’t a problem.

Not sure if their lawyers drafted that release but I am confident they were on the conference calls before its release.

I cannot tell how big the numbers may get for them. Correcting the defective slabs is one thing. Completely different (potentially much bigger) issue is the pool of damaged books out there… this is where I saw the greatest potential for a class action suit. It all turns on how many problem books out there and if it is concentrated in moderns (as it appears) or vintage / high value.
Post 435 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t know how well this will show up, but here is a Witching Hour #1 that is severely bowed to the point that the middle front of the comic is almost at the top of the case while the top and bottom of the comic are at the bottom of the case.

Post 436 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
That's fine it's actually good for the comic. It makes the grade even higher.
Post 437 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
To sum up a lot of posts on the thread: CGC is a terrible, unethical company that does not give a damn about the hobby, but here's my money
Post 438 IP   flag post
10 pre screen incoming a long with way lower prices haha
Post 439 IP   flag post
Unfortunately when I bought that copy I could not find a copy for sale at that time graded by CBCS or I would have purchased it due to my preference of the CBCS case over GGC.
Post 440 IP   flag post
Collector VinceVellCustoms private msg quote post Address this user
I’m only catching up on the cgc response and my books only got there this week for the mechanical error. Why do I have a feeling I will be the owner of banana era fake cgc 9.8s and they will claim my bent spin ticks are normal.

I’m sticking with cbcs going forward and now my friends are as well since we had a bunch we planned to send in.
Post 441 IP   flag post
Collector electricprune private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I don’t know how well this will show up, but here is a Witching Hour #1 that is severely bowed to the point that the middle front of the comic is almost at the top of the case while the top and bottom of the comic are at the bottom of the case.

Thanks for posting this. This is probably the worst example I’ve seen of a book that would have been graded outside of the Modern Tier. It appears to not be quite as bad as most of the Modern examples, but still bad. It also almost appears to look more like a snake than the typical bowl shaped curve.
Post 442 IP   flag post
I didn’t have time to dig it out, but my House of Mystery 179 is bowed just as bad.
Post 443 IP   flag post
Quote:
I didn’t have time to dig it out, but my House of Mystery 179 is bowed just as bad.

Do you happen to know when they were graded?
Post 444 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
The Sarasota Shit Show are fixing problems they themselves say are not problems....This company hates and openly mocks the hobby and their customers.
Post 445 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricprune
Quote:

9/6/23 and 9/26/23
Post 446 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Have I mentioned before how I hate to be gaslighted and lied to?
Yea - I think I have.

At least they've "officially" gaslighted and lied to me now via official statement.
Its in vogue now just to lie and get away with it. Everyone else does it, why not this joke of a company.

And folks wonder why there's so much anger and frustration and vitriol running rampant most everywhere. Utter deterioration of respect, decency, or integrity will do that.
Post 447 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricprune
Quote:

9/6/23 and 9/26/23

Interesting. This goes back far enough that maybe only a few examples of the Modern tier books had shown the warped inner wells by that time. At least only a few have been shown anywhere.
Post 448 IP   flag post
CGC- you'll go bananas for our slabs!

Literally.
Post 449 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Sitting back in my recliner grinning because I’ve never sent them books…..
Post 450 IP   flag post
I don't think I'll send them any books because I believe psa might be the most expensive of the companies. However, they picked the most perfect time to jump into the grading game lol . Cgc is taking themselves out of the conversation
Post 451 IP   flag post
Collector PhilCoulson private msg quote post Address this user
If you send them books now they will probably be fine. What you have to be careful with is purchasing books online or via auction as almost no one takes side pics. My rule of thumb is that when looking online I will look up the cert and see when it was graded. I'm not buying anything graded between July 2023 - all of 2024. Completely avoiding them.

Also, I rarely send books in to be graded. Maybe only 6-7 total of my collection but I'll be sending them all to CBCS moving forward. CGC just has too many issues and it's "when" not "if" the next one will come up. Why even get involved with it. I'll let others take that risk and buy what I want tonline.
Post 452 IP   flag post
I just did a CGC purge. They will be going to cbcs
Post 453 IP   flag post
Collector PalmBeachPresser private msg quote post Address this user
I believe CGC has severely, and possibly permanently, damaged their brand and reputation with their most recent BananaGate statement. However, it must be acknowledged that CBCS does not appear to have the ability to gain market share primarily for one reason - the lack of desirability for their cases by the secondary market and therefore a lower value on the market even though it is unquestionably an equal or better product (even before the bent wells).

CBCS is unlikely to get another opportunity to change their fate before either 1) CGC recovers and/or 2) PSA enters the market, and, if they don't they will be even less relevant in six months than they are today! Every effort to capitalize on this should be made right now! People want to get books graded and are now holding back from sending to CGC en masse but they are still unwilling to send to CBCS - believe me, as someone in the center of the sounding the CGC alarm, I know!

CBCS should reduce prices below CGC prices to gain market share on Monday morning! They must immediately reach out to large auction facilitators, dealers, and influencers to promote their product. A 15 second Instagram post or two - although a step in the right direction - is an insufficient effort.

CBCS, I want you to succeed, and this is the best opportunity for your books to begin to obtain price parity with CGC on the resale market! I will send books wherever customers want but the fact of the matter is I have sent several hundred of customer's submissions to CGC and only one to CBCS over the last two years! My customers are now asking about CBCS for the first time!

LET'S GO!!!
Post 454 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBeachPresser
product

Welcome to the forum!!

LFG!!!
Post 455 IP   flag post
616565 607 30