Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC knowingly damaging books?20972

I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
CGC ranks marginally above PGX in my opinion. I will buy pre-43xxxx CGC slabs but only if there is no CBCS counterpart....I won't buy anything CGC after 43xxxx. I will never submit to CGC. PSA is a better option than CGC in my opinion and I would give them a chance if their slabs were the same size as CBCS....but realistically, as long as CBCS is around and maintain their course, there's no realy reason to look elsewhere... but CBCS is slightly on the pricey side....I'd look at that part of I were them.....but maybe it's just me that finds them a tad expensive....but there's no denying cbcs is the best on the market by miles.

I agree!!

Nothing about PSA has wowed me yet but we'll see. Cbcs is pricey but so is a Lamborghini lol. I haven't had any issues with cbcs so .
Post 351 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
CGC is the fast food chain of grading.

CBCS is more like the artisan kitchen.

PGX is dumpster diving "food".
Post 352 IP   flag post
Greasy spoon lmao
Post 353 IP   flag post
CBCS Finalizer Wade_Story private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMR
https://www.instagram.com/stories/cbcscomics/3446154166622715536?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Or... if you don't have Instagram.
https://www.facebook.com/reel/8385811958106582
Post 354 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade_Story
Quote:
https://www.instagram.com/stories/cbcscomics/3446154166622715536?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Brilliant!!!
Post 355 IP   flag post

I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Ha!!! Love it!!
Post 356 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I've talked to a couple different pressers and they like PGX's inner well. It takes the best things of the CBCS well and the cgc well and incorporates them together.
Post 357 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I've talked to a couple different pressers and they like PGX's inner well. It takes the best things of the CBCS well and the cgc well and incorporates them together.

That's a strange perspective considering their reputation.
Post 358 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicNinja0215
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

That's a strange perspective considering their reputation.

Their physical product has never been a problem as far as I know...its their grading, resto detection (or lack thereof), grading their own books etc...that's been the problem.
Post 359 IP   flag post
@GAC that makes more sense.
Post 360 IP   flag post
There's a whole Facebook group for PGX that swears they're the better deal.

I can't get everything here at cbcs for just a little bit extra because pgx books don't really sell well.
Post 361 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
CGC ranks marginally above PGX in my opinion. I will buy pre-43xxxx CGC slabs but only if there is no CBCS counterpart....I won't buy anything CGC after 43xxxx. I will never submit to CGC. PSA is a better option than CGC in my opinion and I would give them a chance if their slabs were the same size as CBCS....but realistically, as long as CBCS is around and maintain their course, there's no real reason to look elsewhere... but CBCS is slightly on the pricey side....I'd look at that part if I were them.....but maybe it's just me that finds them a tad expensive....but there's no denying cbcs is the best on the market by miles.

pricey and I get dinged by FedEx on re-entry to Canada...which doesn't happen with CGC...CBCS...FIGURE THIS OUT!!!
Post 362 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

amazing!!!
Post 363 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
CGC ranks marginally above PGX in my opinion. I will buy pre-43xxxx CGC slabs but only if there is no CBCS counterpart....I won't buy anything CGC after 43xxxx. I will never submit to CGC. PSA is a better option than CGC in my opinion and I would give them a chance if their slabs were the same size as CBCS....but realistically, as long as CBCS is around and maintain their course, there's no real reason to look elsewhere... but CBCS is slightly on the pricey side....I'd look at that part if I were them.....but maybe it's just me that finds them a tad expensive....but there's no denying cbcs is the best on the market by miles.

pricey and I get dinged by FedEx on re-entry to Canada...which doesn't happen with CGC...CBCS...FIGURE THIS OUT!!!

Yes...that's a weird one....I fight with FedEx and get those charges removed but it's a real pain to do so. I'm successful in getting them reversed 90% of the time....its related to the return shipping option being selected by us.

The ground option...cheaper option implies FedEx will be the broker on our behalf at the Customs stage. The flight option or more expensive option no brokering is required and hence no additional fees.

I'm not sure what CGC does differently but you're right....when I did use CGC many years ago, I never got that broker fee or any additional fees for that matter......cgc stills sucks though.
Post 364 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Do you guys have these charges even if you have your own fedex account number?
Post 365 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Update: have received back about 30 books from CGC. Non are bowed… strictly graded.

They may have addressed the problem OR possibly it is era dependent? Books submitted were all silver age or early bronze age (1970).

I looked at my book (graded much earlier this year) that has a mild / partial bow and there is no damage. That said, I still think it is unacceptable and I will consider having it reholdered (for free) considering I had no issues in this large submission.

There is one high value book still to be delivered and a handful of stragglers from the same bulk vintage sub. Will provide a final update but at this time I am satisfied with my experience.

Has anyone here received recent (July+) submissions back with problems?

For those boycotting based on serial numbers, of course that’s your call… personally I’d just request additional photos or take advantage of return options.

Of course if my high value submission comes back damaged…
Post 366 IP   flag post
Collector VinceVellCustoms private msg quote post Address this user
I think its more Modern issues, Prob a differnt department and or new workers who are man handling the books.

It seems the more and more that get posted the more it's the same ticks in the same areas. Least with my books it seems to show the same damages.
Post 367 IP   flag post
I have! A. Modern that's wrinkled like a fry.

I said, that was it. No more.
Post 368 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
Both of mine that are damaged are silver age books.
Post 369 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbolton

I don't know if I should be upvoting your posts or not. Hard to give a thumbs up to posts about damaged books but it's great that you're sharing. The one comic book I bought in a #44 vintage slab (1974) isn't curved.
Post 370 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:

Quote:

I don't know if I should be upvoting your posts or not. Hard to give a thumbs up to posts about damaged books but it's great that you're sharing. The one comic book I bought in a #44 vintage slab (1974) isn't curved.

It's cool lol

On a serious note, I was so pissed. It's not a high value book but it's one of my favorite in my collection. It's comming to cbcs soon; like real soon.
Post 371 IP   flag post
It's worth pointing out that one of my books affected by "banana gate" is my Daredevil seven. A book I trusted with the CGC along with a few other vintage books.

They would no sooner burn that place to rhe ground just to rule over the ashes.
Post 372 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm still waiting before I submit.
It's been several months now.

I just can't knowingly send in a book or books and have some very high probability that they come back damaged. They need to fix this.

I still have some books coming in from over 6 months ago from SWAU and GalaxyCon Celeb autographs, but they were in the pipeline since early 2024. I honestly wish they weren't at the moment
Post 373 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 not sure what that means but okay lol 🍺
Post 374 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
@ComicNinja0215 it was a keyboard flub
Post 375 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 lol I know all about those. Lol
Post 376 IP   flag post
Collector electricprune private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Could you post pics of the boom’s showing the damage and bowing?
Post 377 IP   flag post
Collector electricprune private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Update: have received back about 30 books from CGC. Non are bowed… strictly graded.

They may have addressed the problem OR possibly it is era dependent? Books submitted were all silver age or early bronze age (1970).

I looked at my book (graded much earlier this year) that has a mild / partial bow and there is no damage. That said, I still think it is unacceptable and I will consider having it reholdered (for free) considering I had no issues in this large submission.

There is one high value book still to be delivered and a handful of stragglers from the same bulk vintage sub. Will provide a final update but at this time I am satisfied with my experience.

Has anyone here received recent (July+) submissions back with problems?

For those boycotting based on serial numbers, of course that’s your call… personally I’d just request additional photos or take advantage of return options.

Of course if my high value submission comes back damaged…

This is mostly happening to Modern Tier books. Not seeing issues with Vintage books, while good, is not surprising.

To answer your question about receiving books back recently, I got a 5 book Modern sub back last month. All 5 were bowed. 4 really didn’t show damage. One was a 9.4 and looks like a 7.0.
Post 378 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricprune

This is mostly happening to Modern Tier books. Not seeing issues with Vintage books, while good, is not surprising.

To answer your question about receiving books back recently, I got a 5 book Modern sub back last month. All 5 were bowed. 4 really didn’t show damage. One was a 9.4 and looks like a 7.0.

Maybe CGC is creating value for modern collectors that aren’t subbing now… damaging books otherwise plentiful in high grade.

Everyone thinks they’re daft but this is their long game. Sacrifice near term but create scarcity…
Post 379 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah the long play. Genius.
Post 380 IP   flag post
616561 607 30