Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC knowingly damaging books?20972

Collector 1979_03 private msg quote post Address this user
It's good to breathe the air of the CBCS forums....

Time for CBCS to capitalize with a marketing and social media campaign to the effect of; Our slabs won't bend you books replete with images or drawings!

Based on a single mod post on PSA forums it appears they now aware of the CGC slab debacle.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1105617/psa-entering-comic-and-magazine-grading-world-in-2025
Bear in mind they are Sports Cards peeps who of course have much lower IQ's than us Comic Book Collectors
Post 226 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979_03
It's good to breathe the air of the CBCS forums....

Time for CBCS to capitalize with a marketing and social media campaign to the effect of; Our slabs won't bend you books replete with images or drawings!

Based on a single mod post on PSA forums it appears they now aware of the CGC slab debacle.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1105617/psa-entering-comic-and-magazine-grading-world-in-2025
Bear in mind they are Sports Cards peeps who of course have much lower IQ's than us Comic Book Collectors

Welcome! It's a very different atmosphere than across the street. I knew that when I first showed up here. Unfortunately. I bought into all the hype.
Post 227 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
@1979_03

Post 228 IP   flag post
Reading the PSA boards and I don't really see anything appealing about it. Nothing different than the service I can get here.
Post 229 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicNinja0215
Reading the PSA boards and I don't really see anything appealing about it. Nothing different than the service I can get here.

The Mod there seem to be aware. They are encouraged to run things up the ladder.

Pressure placed up CGC from PSA will aid CBCS. Reason is, once a customer spits/splinters from a long-term relationship they will more open to other relationships. If they test out PSA, they may then also be far more willing to give CBCS a whirl.

Sometimes it takes more than 1 David to slay a Goliath.
Post 230 IP   flag post

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
lol...time to send a few books to MCS to sell...goodbye suspect CGC books!!!

Anyone know of MCS has an option when I purchase a CGC book to send it to CBCS for crack and re-grade.
I know they go the other way - CBCS graded books picked up by MCS...

Just sayin...I'm saving up my pennies as MCS credits but if what I end up getting is a crap CGC book then I'd like it to be put into a decent slab....
Post 231 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the forum, @1979_03.

Quote:

From that very discussion. It's a shame that CBCS management won't try and combat the IMO unjustified negative word-of-mouth about CBCS.

Post 232 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@DWeeB1967 sadly, it's CBCS's higher grading standards that cause them to get less business.
Post 233 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
@DWeeB1967 sadly, it's CBCS's higher grading standards that cause them to get less business.

It's not that CBCS has "higher" grading standards, they just use the original "Borock era" grading standards which CGC ( "Your new books are all 10's" ) has fallen away from.
Post 234 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
"higher" = more consistent. (to me anyway)
Post 235 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders

It's not that CBCS has "higher" grading standards, they just use the original "Borock era" grading standards which CGC ( "Your new books are all 10's" ) has fallen away from.
that post stated “weaker” standards which I’m unsure how one comes to that conclusion. If stricter or higher standards keeps you from using CBCS then you are a fool continuing your fools errands. What happens if/when PSA comics are graded to similar standards of CBCS? Do they get kicked in the balls too for not giving sympathy grades?

If CBCS is truly doing something wrong as far as grading standards then that’s a problem and they would be no better than CGC. CGC has obvious grading inconsistency and questionable standards that has far too long had a blind eye towards. Then there’s PGX that no one wants to be compared to and CGC may be headed to the ring with them for the debacle championship.
Post 236 IP   flag post
If higher value trumps honest grades than we're in a lot of trouble as hobbyists.

At this point, I want an honest grade. To quote big Tom Callahan. "
BECAUSE THEY KNOW ALL THEY SOLD YOU IS A GAURNTEED PIECE OF SHIT!"

LOL still makes me laugh.
Post 237 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
But their guarantee is on the label!

Post 238 IP   flag post
@esaravo Okay, I'll buy from you...
Post 239 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Without any data to back up what I'm about to say - but in my daily observations, CGC books (even keys) are taking a nosedive with value. In particular compared with raw books with presumed equivalent grades. Yes, this is a general statement, and there are exceptions.

Generally, I can get my books pressed professionally; sent back to me instead of graded, and get equal or more value for them being sold raw than graded by CGC.

I'm not sure why I would pay for shipping to Sarasota, grading fees, and shipping back (i.e. case cost) to take the hit in a completed sales value. Yes, there are still jerks out there that will occasionally claim a raw book is not as stated, but those are not prevalent imo.

I suspect the CGC shenanigans/incompetence is actually taking it's toll on values and hurting the brand even amongst those CGC fanboys that don't pay attention to anything; nor do informational reading.
Post 240 IP   flag post
Here's hoping, as there is strength in numbers, that CBCS and yes PSA too, together can turn the tables.
Post 241 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Here's hoping, as there is strength in numbers, that CBCS and yes PSA too, together can turn the tables.
I’m glad to see PSA in comic grading. If They care about quality then they should be a welcome option. Time will tell.
Post 242 IP   flag post
The things I'm hearing about their slab is a little concerning. I don't know if I like the idea that it won't fit in a regular grading box...
Post 243 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The things I'm hearing about their slab is a little concerning. I don't know if I like the idea that it won't fit in a regular grading box...

right...like who enters an existing market and is like...our car has 6 wheels!
If all others producing slabs are dimensionally one size...you kinda need to be that size...
Post 244 IP   flag post
@KatKomics
Post 245 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:

If all others producing slabs are dimensionally one size...you kinda need to be that size...

Yeah, you're not going to woo customers with your pizza box slab.
Post 246 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:

Yeah, you're not going to woo customers with your pizza box slab.

If it comes with a pizza, then they might be on to something. By the way, patent pending for comic slab + pizzeria.
Post 247 IP   flag post
Psa stands for pizza, slabs and more!
Post 248 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Is PSA pizza better than Dominos?
Post 249 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111

Good question haha
Post 250 IP   flag post
I’m just waiting to get my pizzas graded and slabbed.
Post 251 IP   flag post
We can start a YouTube channel; slabs and pizza.
Post 252 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
It must be. It's been graded and authenticated.
Post 253 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
I just got back a Chris Evans signed book that I had sent in to SWAU for CGC grading back in February.

The book is definitely within specifications within the case.
Hawkeye's Bow specifications, that is.

I'll now take a financial hit with the book and that is the final straw for the foreseeable future. A damaged book in the case is quite observable to anyone.
Everything else that's happened in the past with their B.S. ultimately became the buyers problem; so I could care less.
This CGC nonsense is now MY problem and MY financial hit; and I'm just not going accept that.
Post 254 IP   flag post
I'll eat my comics before I send them back to cgc.
Post 255 IP   flag post
616563 607 30