Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Flash in the pan..what's next20962

I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm interested to know what you think the next big thing will be. Hopefully an ongoing thread of predictions, hunches, or insider information on the next Hot Comics! What's the next trend. Dave Stevens covers have left the dollar bins! What's next?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Barbarella. 100%
Post 2 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Wonder Woman will have a Wonder Baby.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster

Maybe Wonder Twins?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector starlord private msg quote post Address this user
ALF Comics!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I thought Trinity was her Wonderbaby.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@drmccoy74 ive been predicting for a while that the recent popularity of quality horror covers will eventually lead to a rise in demand for war comics of those same eras, with similar quality cover art.
Post 7 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Spider-Man will have at least 10 new suits before Christmas and one of them will be by McFarlane.
There will be 100 new symbiotes in the Venom books.
My collection will multiply like tribbles.

Post 8 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Original art.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheSquid
Quote:

Maybe Wonder Twins?

The Wonder Twins - you mean Zan and Jayna? Maybe if they reboot the Super Friends!
Post 10 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Squirrel Girl in her own long-running series. 👍🙂
Post 11 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
For film and tv. If there was a Howard the Duck reboot that was actually good; that’d be great. I’m honestly surprised Captain Planet hasn’t made rounds and Power Pack would be surprising. I think it’s time to wrap up continuity and bring better content in general. Supes are getting stale. How about dipping into rest? the misfits, rebels, special OPs? Like the original Suicide Squad, MARS Patrol, maybe more Judge Dredd?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
@drmccoy74 ive been predicting for a while that the recent popularity of quality horror covers will eventually lead to a rise in demand for war comics of those same eras, with similar quality cover art.
I'm looking to pick up these 2 books in the near future before they get too expensive

Post 14 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmccoy74
Quote:
I'm looking to pick up these 2 books in the near future before they get too expensive

The Great One was laying the smack down on the persons with political differences all the way back then?

Post 15 IP   flag post
I've heard rumblings on Captain America #308 with the first appearance of Armadillo but that seems more like it's some folks trying to pump it up for the sake of it. Kind of like the time I tried to pump up Dakota North #1 and Spider-Woman #33 (1st appearance of Turner D. Century).

Quote:

I would venture to throw Westerns in there. In my area, I've noticed that high-grade Western books are drawing some interest. Low grade can't be given away, but high grade is a different story.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Atlas Seaboard comics.

Post 17 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
@drmccoy74 GI Combat #68 is on my want list, but I am trying to get a full Quality run before moving on to the DC books.

@GAC I could see that. Really, I wouldn't be surprised by surging interest in lots of non-big two books.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@James42 I think they're due for a bump....I know the Atlas Seaboard story, that it was created almost solely out of spite for Marvel and the perceived raw deal Martin Goodman got. The art work on this short lived publication is great....story not so much but great art in my opinion.
Post 19 IP   flag post
There are quite a few people in my area putting together Spawn runs. There are about a dozen or so issues that are tough books from what I hear.
Low print runs
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
It already has started catching fire, but pre-code horror seems to be an area many are gravitating to.

Another is DC 2nd tier late golden/early silver age characters. Eventually the DCU is going to right the ship.

Along the lines of horror, Marvel & DC “monsters” titles. In particular classic covers by Neal Adams. In fact, there are a lot of classic Neal Adams covers on non-key books that don’t get much love in except in the highest grades.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I got screwed six ways to Sunday. sborock_ComicLink private msg quote post Address this user
It's all generational. Period.

When I was not so long in the tooth in the early 70's, it was ANY Fawcett, westerns like John Wayne, Hopalong Cassidy, Gabby Hayes and other western photo cover comics, most four colors, Red Ryder, Flash Gordon (not the Frazetta covers much later on), Classic Illustrated, Motion picture Funnies, Famous Funnies #1, Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Mutt and Jeff, Man from Uncle, Carnival of comics and, of course, Whiz 2 (#1) at that time was the top holy grail, not Action 1, Tec 27 or Cap 1.

Try selling most of those comics at the percentages that they were at in the 60's and 70's. You can't.

Ask almost any 30-year-old if they know or give a damn about the heroes/characters, they won't. 😪 Heck, who collects the Yellow Kid, Palmer Cox Brownies or any Victorion age these days? Only a small number of older hobbyists.

For readers/collectors today it's X-men, Spidey, Batman, Spawn, The Boys, Avengers, Iron Man, the Crow, Simpsons, Walking Dead, Sonic, Sandman (A classic! IMHO), Wonder Woman and Invincible just to name a few as there are many. The movies and TV shows have helped generate a bunch of this as well. Western movies did the same during the 50's and 60's.

Another aspect are people that are 9.8 "graded" chasers of commons and the ones that buy 10+ multiple variant covers of the same exact same book instead of reading and spending their hard-earned money on other great comics to read or check out. UGH! The 90's all over again!!!!!🥵 It does not last through the generations, most of the time.

Comics are meant to be read and enjoyed. Again, IMHO.

Simpsons, Super Mario and Sonic will still be "in vogue" for the next generation, Transformers, Futurama and maybe, Spawn as well. Heck, Mario replaced Mickey Mouse as the best known character in the world a few years ago! No one saw that coming....

My 6-year-old grandson LOVES Sonic! Just got him a sketch by the great and super hobbyist Bill Morrison and he was in heaven! He has the socks, underwear, PJ's, lunch box and backpack.

Most covet what we have nostalgia for. NO ONE HAS A CRYSTAL BALL! We would all be rich if we did.

Buy what you love to read and don't "speculate". You will, "at the end of the day" enjoy our great hobby even more.

End of rant! Sorry! 😔
Post 22 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Two words: Beanie Babies.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock_ComicLink
It's all generational. Period.

When I was not so long in the tooth in the early 70's, it was ANY Fawcett, westerns like John Wayne, Hopalong Cassidy, Gabby Hayes and other western photo cover comics, most four colors, Red Ryder, Flash Gordon (not the Frazetta covers much later on), Classic Illustrated, Motion picture Funnies, Famous Funnies #1, Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Mutt and Jeff, Man from Uncle, Carnival of comics and, of course, Whiz 2 (#1) at that time was the top holy grail, not Action 1, Tec 27 or Cap 1.

Try selling most of those comics at the percentages that they were at in the 60's and 70's. You can't.

Ask almost any 30-year-old if they know or give a damn about the heroes/characters, they won't. 😪 Heck, who collects the Yellow Kid, Palmer Cox Brownies or any Victorion age these days? Only a small number of older hobbyists.

For readers/collectors today it's X-men, Spidey, Batman, Spawn, The Boys, Avengers, Iron Man, the Crow, Simpsons, Walking Dead, Sonic, Sandman (A classic! IMHO), Wonder Woman and Invincible just to name a few as there are many. The movies and TV shows have helped generate a bunch of this as well. Western movies did the same during the 50's and 60's.

Another aspect are people that are 9.8 "graded" chasers of commons and the ones that buy 10+ multiple variant covers of the same exact same book instead of reading and spending their hard-earned money on other great comics to read or check out. UGH! The 90's all over again!!!!!🥵 It does not last through the generations, most of the time.

Comics are meant to be read and enjoyed. Again, IMHO.

Simpsons, Super Mario and Sonic will still be "in vogue" for the next generation, Transformers, Futurama and maybe, Spawn as well. Heck, Mario replaced Mickey Mouse as the best known character in the world a few years ago! No one saw that coming....

My 6-year-old grandson LOVES Sonic! Just got him a sketch by the great and super hobbyist Bill Morrison and he was in heaven! He has the socks, underwear, PJ's, lunch box and backpack.

Most covet what we have nostalgia for. NO ONE HAS A CRYSTAL BALL! We would all be rich if we did.

Buy what you love to read and don't "speculate". You will, "at the end of the day" enjoy our great hobby even more.

End of rant! Sorry! 😔

All very salient points Steve. In fact, essential.
I would propose a slightly different addendum to your list: themes. One aspect that comes to the fore would be GGA and its ilk; what price Phantom Lady or numerous Matt Baker?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Red Hulk
Post 25 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
There are quite a few people in my area putting together Spawn runs. There are about a dozen or so issues that are tough books from what I hear.
Low print runs
More like issues 130-230. I gave up on that collecting endeavor.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Taylor Swift makes her triumphant MCU first appearance in the first Cable movie as Boom Boom.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@sborock_ComicLink good rant. I got into comics through my older brother. When I started Carl Barks Donald Ducks were huge! Conan 1 was always a "wall" book. FM Daredevil, Byrne X-Men, and New Teen Titans were the hottest books. Indys like Elementals, Mage, and Nexus were also very popular.
Post 28 IP   flag post
0Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Taylor Swift makes her triumphant MCU first appearance in the first Cable movie as Boom Boom.
You heard it here first! Secret Wars II #5 gonna get some run!!
Post 29 IP   flag post
I got screwed six ways to Sunday. sborock_ComicLink private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
0Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
You heard it here first! Secret Wars II #5 gonna get some run!!

🤣 Makes sense to me!
Post 30 IP   flag post
619666 46 30