Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

First post here: a few thoughts about the new labels, CS, etc.20960

Collector Artizan private msg quote post Address this user
First post here, guys. Hope all is well.

I have had several orders processed over the past couple of years with CBCS. . . really like the new labels.
Would love to get your thoughts on a few things.

Fantastic that the cases are very solid and the books usually do not move around in the well like many of the competitors. I have had several books come back - like many of you as I see - that have the light, vertical, rubbing streaks on the case. I suppose from rubbing against another slab. If the scratches are very light, I can polish out with the Polywatch. But a majority of the slightly deeper scratches will not come out. I suppose due to the density of the slab material? But yeah, when I see these more moderate scratches, I immediately know they are going to be stubborn. Any success getting these deeper scratches out?

New labels look great, but I would agree with others that the fonts could be larger. Especially the certification numbers. Seems like an easy fix? Would love to hear CBCS's thoughts on how they make these decisions.

CS: really great CS, overall. Pam has been fantastic. I would suggest that if you ever have an issue that isn't getting resolved, specifically ask for PAM.

Grading and graders: I would love to have some insight into just how many graders and senior graders there are. I actually had an incident where they re-graded a book for me by a senior grader and they upped the grade. Of course, most anyone would prefer the higher grade, but any critically thinking individual would take pause in this. One grader gives a particular grade only to be overruled by a head grader...? Should I have had the senior grader look at all of my books in the first place? I would certainly prefer that.

Rejected pre-screens: I have had a few. Interestingly, on one order all of my rejected prescreens came back with a sticky not on each bag with notes from the grader as to why the book did not get the prescreen grade. Loved that. But it only happened the one time. Anyone else seen this? I believe if we are paying for a prescreeen, and it is rejected, there should be basic notes from the grader for each book. Why can't this be common practice?

And is there any focus on implementing scans of the slabs?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Pam is still at CBCS? I thought she wasn't there anymore.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Last email I had with her name was maybe a month ago.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector radd76 private msg quote post Address this user
@Artizan Pam is in Accounting (not CS) but yes she has fixed or answered a lot of questions for me.

I doubt CBCS is going to divulge specifics about it’s grading team on the forum here (outside of published / posted info on their website) and yes sure there are specific graders for different tiers / types of comics, magazines manga etc- if we all just ask for the more senior or head grader then we can all wait a very long time for our books to be graded since we are bypassing all the other graders lol (or worse having to recheck all their work).

Anyway- Grading companies use three graders to come to a consensus grade and prevents the book coming back with an error or something missed as it is reviewed more than once.

Grader notes are usually not provided as a norm and I think it is just the time it takes to provide them they could be moving on to the next book to grade- so grader notes on all books or faster service to get books slabbed I’ll take the latter.

You have to remember this is a labor intensive process everything you are asking is labor intensive (grader notes on all, images of books, request for senior graders rechecking) and will result in:

1. Higher cost of the services

2. Slower turnaround time for submissions
Post 4 IP   flag post
see below - sorry
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artizan
Anyway- Grading companies use three graders to come to a consensus grade and prevents the book coming back with an error or something missed as it is reviewed more than once.

There are three graders at CBCS looking at every book?
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Artizan yes of course there are. 3 and often times even more until a consensus is met (a single grader cannot come to a consensus).

This is straight from CBCS website (CGC also similar and CBCS was started by the former CGC guy Steve Borrock)

Post 7 IP   flag post
Interesting. Would love to know the process when all of these graders came to a consensus on the book that had the grade changed.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
@Artizan that is what they say but I've heard elsewhere that neither CGC or CBCS have 3 graders looking at 1 book anymore. I don't know if this is true or not but as you state it would be interesting to hear the consensus on the book that changed grade when sent in only for a reholder.
Post 9 IP   flag post
My book that had the grade changed was raw, not a reholder. A senior grader graded it higher after the initial grade. Fact. I'm not looking to instigate anything. I would simply like to understand the exact process, with full transparency. And is it a consistent process?
Post 10 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Artizan Hey and welcome to the forum!

Can you elaborate on your grading situation please? It's not clear to me.

Your book was raw when graded...I'm assuming you are referring to CBCSs raw grade service where they graded the book and put it in a mylar with tamper evident stickers, is this right? Then you removed the book/or sent in as is back to CBCS to get graded the traditional way...in the case...and got a different grade.

Do I have this right?
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Artizan Yes of course it is a consistent process- grading tens and hundreds of thousands of books (CBCS / CGC) they don’t change the process day to day lol. And like I said the founder of CBCS was a top founding CGC guy so their processes are pretty close in line (and both companies have the process on their website …7 step process for CGC start to finish).
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Artizan check this out from their website maybe it will answer some questions on the process (specific to CBCS) and directly on their website:

https://www.cbcscomics.com/grading-certification-process#:~:text=Each%20book%20is%20checked%20to,hidden%20or%20hard%20to%20see.
Post 13 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
@Artizan that is what they say but I've heard elsewhere that neither CGC or CBCS have 3 graders looking at 1 book anymore. I don't know if this is true or not but as you state it would be interesting to hear the consensus on the book that changed grade when sent in only for a reholder.

No matter what gets typed here, CGC only claims 2.
A lot of evidence supports less than that.
Post 14 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
A lot of evidence supports less than that.

I think some books never actually get "graded" by an experienced grader. Instead they ask the janitor or the window cleaner or whoever is walking down the hall "what do you think the grade should be"....
No way an experienced grader would give some of the grades those guys give out....
Most CBCS 9.4/9.6 books would be contenders for their 9.9/10.0 pre-screen.... And get it...
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Nearmint67 your name doesn’t happen to be Jack Handey does it.
Post 16 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@radd76 Nope....
Post 17 IP   flag post
618083 17 17