Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededQuestions

Grading Opinion Neded (X-Men #137)20947

Collector PORECHKA private msg quote post Address this user
Hi there, folks. I've recently aquired a copy of Uncanny X-Men #137 Newsstand. I would like you opinions on grade it could possibly get. How would stuff on the back afftect grade and that visible 75c white stripe on the left side?

What do you think, let me know?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
Looks pretty solid from my tiny phone screen. 9.0-9.2 maybe?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briten
Looks pretty solid from my tiny phone screen. 9.0-9.2 maybe?

My only concers are one the back of the cover - something like dirt? Actually saw copies getting 9.8's that have 75c white bar visible. Thank you for your opinion!
Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@PORECHKA - Welcome to the CBCS forum! Overall, a very nice looking book. I have two questions. Are there some light bends/indents on the lower right side of the front cover? And regarding the marks along the spine area on the back cover, do they bleed through and are visible on the inside of the cover? Some of that might just be dirt that could be easily removed. The white stripe will not affect the grade.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Voltron private msg quote post Address this user
This book LOOKS very nice, it is really hard to give a book a grade based on these photos. The picture could hide bends or indents that do not break color. Also, along the spine on the back cover, if those marks bleed through, it will most likely be hit for a grade deduction. I personally would have the book cleaned and pressed to remove the dirt on the back cover and flatten out any bends or indents that are only visible in angled lighting. Very nice though. As a huge X-Men fan myself I would be interested in buying this! Hope you get a high grade if you submit it, CBCS turnaround times are fantastic right now! Cheers.

-Voltron
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Optic_Blast private msg quote post Address this user
There appears to be some kind of stain around Cyclops' hand and there is some color loss on the bottom of the front cover. There appears to be staple indents on the front cover that looks like it may have pierced through the cover, to the right of the "s" in "Comics" on the spine, also to the left of Nightcrawler's head. The back cover stains can probably be clean. As is, I think the book is in VF+ condition.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
Post 7 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
The white line along the spine is from the wrap of the cover as it was placed on the book when it was created. Until the '90s, the production of comic books was inexpensive and not a perfect science. so finding copies with perfect cover wraps on pre-1990 comics is sometimes difficult.

A miswrap such as this can still fall into grades up to a CBCS 9.8 as long as there are no other issues with the condition. Apparently with this miswrap you could also get a grade up to 9.9 from another grading company.

But we all have our standards, I suppose.
Post 8 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
But we all have our standards, I suppose.

Man, if I could give custom titles... this would be yours.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector grapeape private msg quote post Address this user
With this comic X-Men 137 you have to really inspect the staples on the front cover. It looks like white marks near each one.Are they loose at all? How do they look inside? The scuffing on the back side could knock the grade down. My guess as is, and without seeing inside, the book is a 8.5 if the staples cause micro tears,but could be a 9.0 if not and how tough the graders are on the back cover scuffing, discoloration.
It's a very nice copy, so enjoy it.its a difficult comic 137 because at first glance the condition on any copy always hold up very well for a 40 +yr book. Closer looks at spine, staples, corners usually reveal the tiny defects that knock a book down.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I really appreciate your opinion guys - that's helping me to improve as my own kind of grader and form my opinions! I'm seeing now a lot of potential stuff that I could've been missed myself. Unfortunately - book is yet have to arrive to me and I'm living far away from USA, so I'll get back to you with more detailed pictures and close-ups of the book itself, so we can keep that discussion open after that. Thank you!
Post 11 IP   flag post
615415 11 11