Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Signatures

Signature prices 202420925

I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
From HeroesCon:

IIRC, Howard Chaykin is $20 per signature, $25 for Star Wars, $30 for witnessed.

Adam Hughes was doing 5 minute head sketches for $100, $120 if you had them witnessed.

Georges Jeanty wasn't charging for signatures.

Rico Renzi wasn't charging.

And that's all I remember. I do know several creators weren't charging, but asking for donations to the Heroes Initiative.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Was just at Niagara Falls Comic Con (Canada) earlier this month...

Greg Capullo was $15 (Canadian) per signature
Brian Azzarello was $15 (Canadian) per signature - Batman Damned #1 was $35 Canadian
James O'Barr (5 Free as always...)
Stephanie Phillips was $7 (Canadian) including Grim #1...I believe she used to charge more for that one.
Ken Lashley was $10 (Canadian)
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42
From HeroesCon:

IIRC, Howard Chaykin is $20 per signature, $25 for Star Wars, $30 for witnessed.

I met Chaykin a few years back, he wasn't charging for signatures then. He just said, why would I charge for people that want to meet me? Mind you, it was a smaller con that he definitely wasn't seeing much foot traffic, chatted with me wife, kids and I for a solid half hour. Paid him $80 (Canadian) for a Nick Fury cover sketch.

I told him I was a CBCS Authorized Witness....he said "Why do you have to tell me that? Why do I care that you're going to get this book graded?" Told him it was part of the deal.

I guess time changes everything...
Post 28 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Back in the day prices...

Stan Lee $0
Moebius $0
John Byrne $0
Steranko $0
Marshall Rogers $0
Roger Zelazny $0
Martin Wagner $0
Sam Hurt $0
Dave Sim $0

If there's a trend here I'm not quite seeing it. My how times have changed!
Post 29 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
@Paulbg2000 I think the flippers are to "blame." Every creator out there can look on eBay and see people selling their work and signatures; why shouldn't they get a cut? It sucks for those of us who collect for ourselves, but it's what the market is now.
Post 30 IP   flag post

I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
great idea for a thread. if someone wants to know, they just need to check this.

Others I remember
Skottie Young- I believe $10 each
Michael Golden- $20 (last I checked...was at least for posters but charged per)
Allison Sealy-Smith (voice of Storm) $50 ($40 for selfie)
Catherine Disher (original Jean grey voice actress) $50 ($40 for selfie)
Bill Morrison $10
Kyle Starks- free
Laura Martin- free
Post 31 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@power_struggle55 Michael Golden charged me $50 per autograph, $75 if it was witnessed for grading Six months ago.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
@James42 Georges Jeanty charged me $20 with a witness. Even after he dropped my book. It didn't appear damaged but he wasn't free at HeroesCon for me.
Post 33 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
@power_struggle55 Michael Golden charged me $50 per autograph, $75 if it was witnessed for grading Six months ago.

My price was based on 2 years ago when I bought a poster and got signed
Post 34 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
What's crazy to me are these sketches up in the thousands. That's bananas.

that's what I was just thinking!
I figure time for $ yes - like what is there actual working rate and then how much time are they putting into a head sketch or full body sketch
My days of getting convention sketches may be done!

Pretty sure you can pickup sketches at HA etc for much less for much better artists!
Post 35 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
Back in the day prices...

Stan Lee $0
Moebius $0
John Byrne $0
Steranko $0
Marshall Rogers $0
Roger Zelazny $0
Martin Wagner $0
Sam Hurt $0
Dave Sim $0

If there's a trend here I'm not quite seeing it. My how times have changed!

I don't blame them charging a fee though - back in the day the resale market was nil - now people get autographs just to re-sell

Those sketch prices though..geeze!!!
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector TheShocker private msg quote post Address this user
Lee Weeks

Post 37 IP   flag post
Gene Ha

Post 38 IP   flag post
Greg Capullo

Post 39 IP   flag post
Scott Snyder

Post 40 IP   flag post
Forgot to take pics due to fanboying đŸ˜†
Walt Simonson 1st free and $10 after
Post 41 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
It's becoming where, literally, lower tier celebrities are charging less for their autograph than these guys are for witnessed.

Like everything, I suppose, people will realize it's not financially sound anymore with what they're charging and demand will dwindle and thus prices for sigs.
Post 42 IP   flag post
With a lot of the artists prices, it not economical to pay for the witnessed signature.

Say I want Scott Snyders signature on a book. I pay him $30 for the sig and CBCS $8.00 for the witness. The cost is $38.00 If I pay the $10 for the unwitnessed, I then pay $30 for the authentication. It costs $40. Unless there's a sale like the current 20% off. Then it's $34.00.

Any witnessed price over $30.00 isn't worth paying the witness price. Especially when there are sales all the time for VSP.
Post 43 IP   flag post
@Belarak that's an interesting point. Is there a price difference for let's say Batman #6 Verified snyder sig vs Batmam #6 Witness snyder sig? I would think there is but any data to back or debunk this would be awesome.
Post 44 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Great points with real $$$ numbers.

If I can sell a Universal CBCS/CGC $100 FMV graded comic for around $100
But then I get Scott Snyder for the $38/$40
I have to ask myself can I now get $138/140 for the book with Snyder's auto just to break even?
Can I get $150/160 for the book now and make a paltry $15? Is that even worth it? It's not for me as a seller. I can just skip the Starbucks instead for the day.

And what about the work of dragging the damn book with me, standing on a line, waiting on the line, going to CBCS booth with paperwork, etc... etc... This is time. And it is alot of time. It is my time and I put serious value on my time.

I will not condemn artists/writers for their prices, but I will be making a decision as to whether it is financially sound decision to do so. And in today's Con world, it's seriously beginning not to be worth it anymore.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShocker
@Belarak that's an interesting point. Is there a price difference for let's say Batman #6 Verified snyder sig vs Batmam #6 Witness snyder sig? I would think there is but any data to back or debunk this would be awesome.

It is popular on comic forums for collectors to say "buy the book, not the label". But the reason that saying exists is BECAUSE most collectors are just buying the label.

It will be near impossible to gather conclusive data that proves or disproves that actual witnessed brings more $$ than verified. One would need the same book(s) in the same condition at the same auction just minutes apart. And enough of such auctions to establish a trend.

My own observation is that for the vast majority of collectors, yellow label is yellow label.
Post 46 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShocker

It is popular on comic forums for collectors to say "buy the book, not the label". But the reason that saying exists is BECAUSE most collectors are just buying the label.

And in the end, especially with the current cgc grading standards, that's all they have. A high grade label with a book that doesn't reflect the grade.
Post 47 IP   flag post
@TheShocker I would also be curious if there is a difference in value. To me a yellow label is a yellow label. I don't consider a witnessed book any better than a verified book. The signature is authentic either way.

I went to HeroesCon this year. I spent a lot of money on signatures. The worst was Roy Thomas. He asked for donations to The Heroes Initiative or $50 for each witnessed signature. I played the game and gave him $100 and CBCS $16 for witnessing the following books:

Did the signatures add any value? On the Justice Society the $58 for the signature was probably more that the book is worth. On the Captain Marvel the Starlin and Thomas signatures could have added value. The fact that the signatures add any value is nice, but I get the books signed so I can have legendary artist signatures on books I own. My heirs can deal with what value they added after I'm gone.
Post 48 IP   flag post
@Belarak those are awesome and present beautifully. Same here I just like to meet creators and get sigs on my fav books. would like to meet roy thomas at some point. $50 is steep but the steepest I've seen is Jim Lee $90.

I'm the same yellow is yellow but I'm not everyone lol.

I would like to see what you guys thought about a creator who sells exclusives at $30 for trade and $50 for virgin but still asks if you want it signed which is an extra $10.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@Belarak @TheShocker @Nuffsaid111

Now imagine the anger of getting a book signed in front of you, sending it in for authentication, and then it coming back as not able to authenticate.

It’s happened to me once.
Post 50 IP   flag post
@multi007 I knew I read that somewhere I just couldn't remember. That sucks man but if this mistake can be done then who is to say authenticating a good fake as authentic hasn't or would never happen?. Maybe that's a counter point to doing a witness sig and buying a witnessed sig over verified?
Post 51 IP   flag post
@TheShocker Yes that’s a whole other argument. Authentications are subjective with a little bit of science thrown in. It’s not perfect. But it’s what we have.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user

Mike Hawthorne

First 3 for free. Everything after is $3 per
Post 53 IP   flag post
616096 53 28