Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch CoversGrading Help NeededQuestions

Questions on Crossing CGC Qualified to CBCS20895

Collector ATinyTurtle private msg quote post Address this user
Hi! I just received some books back from CGC after excitedly submitting some sketch covers with the JSA acquisition. They came back green label Qualified despite the signatures on them being verified. I should've just stayed with CBCS but curiosity got the better of me.

I'd like to cross them over to CBCS, how would I submit an order for this? I don't see an option for it on the submission page. https://www.cbcscomics.com/account/submit/comic

Thank you!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector GIJFan123 private msg quote post Address this user
Can't see from the picture, but does it say why the qualified label even with the sigs? Might be because of the sketches
Post 2 IP   flag post
Yeah it's because of the sketches. Their stance after a few green labels came back and people (myself included) got baffled/annoyed by it is basically: "At this time, the CGC grading department has determined that if a sketch affects the grade, then it will prompt a Green Label in order to avoid a large downgrade. With how large these J. Scott Campbell sketches are on your books that you showed us; this would be the case."

So basically any sketches. They just brought JSA on and made a huge deal about verification but they draw the line at sketches? Ridiculous. Blank covers have existed for twenty plus years too, what is the point of those if not to get sketches/art/signatures on them?

These were just posted a few days ago.

"I’m happy to let you know that we’re updating our policy on sketches next week. After evaluating submitter customer feedback, our experts decided that if an autographed comic has a sketch on it, JSA will determine if it can authenticate the autograph as well as the sketch. If JSA authenticates both the autograph and the sketch, the comic will receive the CGC x JSA Authentic Autograph label. If JSA determines that the autograph is authentic, but the sketch is not verifiable, the comic will still receive the CGC x JSA Authentic Autograph label, and the grade will be lowered to reflect the presence of an unverified sketch on the comic. Autographed comics with sketches on them will no longer receive the CGC Qualified green label.

Please contact Customer Service if you would like to send back a sketch submission that received the CGC Qualified green label."

"There is some big news coming soon regarding JSA and Sketches. To not cause further confusion I will wait to answer this question until the formal announcement has been made coming soon. Thanks for your patience. "

Incredible that the higher ups over there didn't think this would be a big enough issue to allow this to happen.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector GIJFan123 private msg quote post Address this user
Ugh that sucks. You got hosed. I would almost demand they reevaluate on their dime. Won't happen, but they may comp you since it's so recent.

As to your question, I think you would submit to cbcs as a regular new submission
Post 4 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Another win for the CGC.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector soonerjudd81 private msg quote post Address this user
But CBCS doesn’t verify sketches either, unless they’re witnessed.
Post 6 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Are you saying that the signatures were witnessed, but you received a qualified label because the sketches wasn't verified or witnessed as well?

CBCS doesn't verify sketches. They will verify the signatures for a fee plus grading. You can send them through with the ART designation and not receive a numerical grade but have the signatures verified.

If the signatures have been witnessed by the cgc, then they may not need verified by CBCS. Can you post a better picture of the labels?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerjudd81

They don't verify sketches at all. Just signatures.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Sorry yes, here are better images of the labels. Thanks very much for clarifying that CBCS doesn't verify sketches either, I'm just super confused with CGC I guess. "if a sketch affects the grade" -- in what world does a sketch on a book NOT affect the grade?

With JSA coming in I assumed (clearly wrongly) that they'd be able to differentiate between an artist sketch with signature and someone testing if a pen still has ink. This is one of those niche cases where I believe COAs should actually hold weight.

Guess I'll shoot these three back and see what they say.

Thanks for the responses all!

Post 9 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
By CGCs logic; why doesn’t a verified/authentic signature drop the grade? It’s real, but the book is still altered.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@ATinyTurtle They gave you a qualified label on the sketch because they want you to send the books back and pay the JSA to verify the sketches. It's all about the Benjamins.

CBCS doesn't verify sketches, but they don't downgrade the book for them either if the signatures are being witnessed or verified.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Sketch "written" on cover? Are these guys idiots or something?
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS also notes handwritten edition numbers if the signature is verified, which I think is pretty cool

Post 13 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Like at @dielinfinite mentioned, CBCS will note the x of xxx quantity on a graded comic and the signature. See below.

When you send these in to CBCS, leave them in the cgc slabs. For your online submission, you will want to chose the Verified Signature Program option (VSP).

Cheers!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Not a fan of sketch covers but I got this one...since it was witnessed it did not get any hit for the sketch

Post 15 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerjudd81

If they're witnessed, they don't need to be verified. 👍
Post 16 IP   flag post
615415 16 16