Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Not a pedigree and not even a collection from a collector.

A gentleman in the early 70s worked for a distribution business and while working there had the opportunity to buy comic books, magazines at half cover price.

Not bought to read, just to buy for investment purposes or because he just decided too.

He would buy single issues like Daredevil and would bag and heat seal them shut.
And other issues where he would buy a couple, five to twenty and in some cases a hundred issues.
Where they were bagged in lots of twenty and heat sealed shut.
He would take them home unread and store them under the subfloor for fifty years.

He is slowly brining them out and dropping them off for consignment at a lcs.

He will come in with a box or two a couple times a month to once every two to three months.

A interesting man with stories of his life, I first met him looking after the store one day when he came in with nine copies of Swamp Thing issue 3.
Where three issues had a manufacturing defect from when they were printed and are lighter in color plus missing some colors.

Talking to him I learned that pulling out some comics, he could see some were miss wrapped and he thought they were no good and had thrown quite a few out.
What books he threw out he couldn't remember and I told him to keep everything intact, even mis wrapped books and books with signs of wear.

I'm going to post some of the books I've seen and some that I've bought.
Some early 70s DCs have off/white pages while some early DCs have cream/off-white.
While others and later issues have white pages.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

I ended up buying a copy of each, one correctly manufactured copy and one defect copy.

I ended up sending in one copy unpressed.

Post 2 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Hook a brother up! I'd be interested in any Swamp Thing 1-10.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The books being unread had the gripper holes of the pages stuck together like I use to remember from newspapers and unopened comic books printed on newspaper from newsagents.

I had posted the Doc Savages on the CGC forum and there were two collectors that thought they were in very nice shape.
So I ended sending a copy of issue 2 to one forum member and a issue 3 to another forum member for free.

I ended up sending a copy of issue 2 in for grading without a press.

Post 4 IP   flag post
Demon 1s came into the store.
Though some have the mis wrapped with the white of the back cover appearing partially on the front like a border.
The books had lovely gloss and white pages.

I bought this copy and sent it in as is.

Post 5 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Once in a lifetime. You always hear stories like this but few have the opportunity to purchase books like this!
Post 6 IP   flag post

Copy sent in without a press

Post 7 IP   flag post

I ended up buying two copies of issue 3 and 6.

I gave a copy each to a forum member on the CBCS boards here for free.

If they ever get their copies graded I'd like to know what they got.
Post 8 IP   flag post
These are how the books come in like.

Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Once in a lifetime. You always hear stories like this but few have the opportunity to purchase books like this!

They are amazing. Even copies that have corner dings and small color breaking spine creases from storage are beautiful.

Nice cover gloss and most having exceptional page quality.
Very strange opening a fifty year old book knowing you're the first to read it.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Hook a brother up! I'd be interested in any Swamp Thing 1-10.

PM sent.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Some books I've not bought a copy of.

Post 12 IP   flag post

Post 13 IP   flag post

The page quality wasn't the same on these books and another copy I sent in came back 9.0 cream/off-white pages.
So I've kept two copies raw.

Post 14 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross

I ended up buying two copies of issue 3 and 6.

I gave a copy each to a forum member on the CBCS boards here for free.

If they ever get their copies graded I'd like to know what they got.

I will definitely let you when I send them in and I will post them for the group to see.
They are amazing.....
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross Does he sell them to you, have them on consignment?
Post 16 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I'd be interested in buying as well. Please let us know how and what is available.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Also interested, especially in the Doctor Voodoo 1st appearance.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Heck, even I might be interested in one of those Sinister House books. Do let us know!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@southerncross Does he sell them to you, have them on consignment?

The owner of the books has dropped them in to the lcs to sell on consignment.

And I buy from the lcs.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector x860x private msg quote post Address this user
What is the LCS? I’d be interested in some.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Yup...interested in a Demon #1 book.

Great find!!!
Post 22 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Me too
Post 23 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross I want one of each also.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I'm interested in any early MARVEL'S also.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@Zombie_Head @Rafel PMs sent.
Post 26 IP   flag post

Post 27 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross You should get commission for the influx of purchases. lol! Cheers!! 🍻
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@southerncross You should get commission for the influx of purchases. lol! Cheers!! 🍻

I kind of get a employee discount and I'm happy to cherry pick thru a stack of unread books. I kind of turned into a condition snob.
Books that I would be admiring because of the condition I'm picking out very small flaws and going nah, next copy, nah next copy.

Strange for me 😂
Post 29 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I kind of get a employee discount and I'm happy to cherry pick thru a stack of unread books. I kind of turned into a condition snob.
Books that I would be admiring because of the condition I'm picking out very small flaws and going nah, next copy, nah next copy.

Strange for me 😂

That's funny... I've been that way for over 30 years.. lol....
Post 30 IP   flag post
618085 153 30