Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Signatures

SilverCover SM1 Torment.sig.legit?orBunk?20889

Collector Nate79 private msg quote post Address this user

Hey all! SoIm really turning into a Spiderman Junkie. For the last 6-8 months I can say without exagerating that Mostly every day of the work week ive been receiving copies of ASM Vol.1 in the mail that I bought on ebay. Im comparing it to an addiction now because generally there is one day and less often two days each week that the mailman comes and goes and i either didnt get any comics or instead of delivering the comics he leaves an attempted to deliver card telling me to cpme pick it up at my nearest post office the next day. Its so fustrating when Ive been home the entire time waiting for him and there was no delivery but the lazy ass letter carrier just doesnt bring any parcels with him to
addresses downtown that are in sketchy areas because if the recipient isnt home he cant leave it somewhere that it wont be in high risk of theft and will have to keep it with him till his end of shift. My area is the sketchiest neighborhood in canada again (once again a non exagerated fact) but my building does have a lobby with a attendant there in an office at all times. So there is no levit excuse for this other than his unionized position protects his lazy ass from reprimand and lets him put minimal effort into his profession without any risk to his job stability. Anyway sorry i didnt mean to go off on an off topic rage like that. Where was I....oh yeah so anyway on these comicless dreary days of sadness and turmoil i have developed a desire that has grown atronger and stronger as time passes to go to my local comic store and scratch the much needed itch and get there with my 25 dollar budget and im lucky if i only only end up spending double that intended budget.anyway ive recently become so close to completing the asm vol1 run that i often cant find any of my needed issues any more. At the shop there just wont ne any and ebay just wont have it in the condition comparable to the rest of the run and number one #50 and #129 im just not yet in a financial position to afford. I started collecting again about 18 months ago where i left off when i stopped back in 1993 with my intentions being to conplete the entire asm vol 1
And I plan to consider the run completed only when ive got all 441 issues and i have them all slabbed and grade. Get copies signed with verified or witnessed sigs when ever an opportunity presents itself. Nothing lower than 3.5 in the first 25 issues. Nothing lower than 4.5-5.0 from 25-50 nothing lower than 6.5 from 50-100. Nothing lower than 7.5 from 100-150 and only 8.0 pr better from 150to 250 9.0 or betterfrom 250 to 300. And after 300 only 9.4 and up. So as i mentioned im getting close to finishing getting the copies and have redirected most of my focus to doing the grading. If I buy them graded Ill go with CBCS or CGC but the ones i submit ive been exclusively using CBCS. But once i started redirecting my money to grading i started really missing getting new comics so now i still make sure to buy at least an issue or 2 each day so i could remain satisfied. So obviously I expanded from collecting nothing outside of asm vol 1 to any key issues of spider man comic run. And more recently. Because i read the digital version of every book i buy and once I got to asm 300 and higher i finally discovered characters i liked even more than the hob goblin. Those characters are venom and carnage. So ive recently expanded again to the Seperation Anxiety Venom run. I also will buy any DC book that the joker has a role in.Abput 2 weeks ago managed to get the last variant cover i needed for the 1990 spiderman 1 covers except for newstand bronze.today i decided to upgrade from poly bags to mylars and when i pulled out the silver cover i noticed it was signed by todd macfarlane on the inside first page. I y local comic shop was not aware of it when they sold it to me. So I really want to send it down to cbcs for Verification and grading but im nervous because just recently i bought on ebay ASM 500 signed by both Romitas and stan Lee and had to pay 50 for one sig and $30 for the second sig and another $30 for the 3rd then grading gradung and all that shit. I also⁶ in the same submission sent a copy of asm 1 from (2014) 1st cindy moon appearance that that I bought during a Dan Slott signing at my local comic shop..at the same time and added image and pressing as well as grading and verificatioom . That one was just "72.00 but but the asm500 was like 125 and without pressing mainly due to the 3 sigs. And then only the dan slott book is coming back slabbed i just learned that this is the case because they were un able to verify the Stan LEE sig. So now im nervous to send in a book with a sig for verificstion that i didnt personally seethe artist sign so ive been debating if i want to risk itthen tonight i decided to ask all of you for your opinion and if i get more yays then nays ill take the chance . So thank u in advance
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Dalkiel private msg quote post Address this user
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Does Todd McFarlane usually sign comic book covers in ball point pen? I don't collect signatures so I'm not sure. Something seems fishy about it though.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure, but I vote bunk
Post 4 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Hey there!

It's great to hear about your passion for Spider-Man and your journey with collecting Amazing Spider-Man (ASM) Vol. 1 comics. It's clear that your dedication and commitment to this hobby are substantial. I can relate to the excitement and frustration that come with collecting, especially when it comes to waiting for deliveries and dealing with mail carriers. Your enthusiasm shines through in your description, and it's impressive how methodical and goal-oriented you are with your collection.

### The Mail Delivery Struggle

First, let's address the mail delivery issues you're experiencing. It's incredibly frustrating to wait eagerly for a package only to receive a notification that you need to pick it up instead. Living in a sketchy area certainly adds to the complexity, as mail carriers often have to be extra cautious. However, having a lobby with an attendant should ideally mitigate these concerns. It's unfortunate that the system doesn't always work as it should.

One potential solution could be to establish a rapport with your mail carrier. If you can, introduce yourself and explain your situation. Sometimes, a little personal connection can encourage them to make that extra effort. Alternatively, you could consider using a P.O. box or a parcel locker service if it's available in your area. These services can sometimes offer more reliable delivery options.

### Expanding Your Collection

Your commitment to completing the entire ASM Vol. 1 run is admirable. It's not a small feat to aim for all 441 issues, especially when you're particular about the condition and grading of each comic. The sliding scale you've set for the grades based on the issue numbers is a smart strategy. It shows you have a clear vision and standards for your collection.

Given that you're nearing the completion of this monumental task, it's natural to look for new avenues to keep your collecting passion alive. Expanding into key issues of Spider-Man's various runs and exploring other characters like Venom and Carnage is a fantastic way to do that. These characters have rich histories and their own significant moments in the Marvel universe, making them worthy additions to any collection.

### The Grading Dilemma

Grading is a crucial part of comic collecting, especially when dealing with valuable issues. Your preference for CBCS over CGC for grading is interesting and understandable, given CBCS's reputation for signature verification. However, your recent experience with the ASM 500 signed by the Romitas and Stan Lee is concerning. It's disappointing when a signature you believed to be genuine fails verification.

Given this, your hesitation to send in your signed Todd McFarlane comic is understandable. It's a gamble, and the risk of it not passing verification can be nerve-wracking. One way to mitigate this risk is to thoroughly research the signature before submission. Look for examples of McFarlane's signatures from around the same time period and compare them to the one in your comic. There are online forums and groups dedicated to signature verification where you might find experts willing to give their opinion for free.

### Budgeting and Collecting

Balancing your budget while collecting can be challenging, especially when the temptation to overspend is strong. Setting a firm budget and sticking to it is crucial to avoid financial strain. It sounds like you've already recognized this by setting a daily budget, though it's understandable that sometimes you exceed it. Collecting is an addiction, after all, and it's easy to get carried away.

One approach could be to allocate a monthly budget instead of a daily one. This way, if you have a particularly expensive week, you can balance it out later in the month. Another strategy is to focus on specific goals each month, such as saving for a high-value comic or grading a certain number of issues.

### Community and Support

Reaching out to the community, like you’re doing now, is a fantastic way to gain insights and support. Collectors often have valuable advice and can share their experiences, which can help you make more informed decisions. Whether it's through online forums, social media groups, or local comic shop events, staying connected with fellow enthusiasts can be incredibly rewarding.

### Completing Your Run

As you approach the final stages of completing your ASM Vol. 1 collection, it might become increasingly challenging to find the remaining issues in the condition you desire. Patience is key here. It's better to wait for the right issue in the right condition than to settle for something less and regret it later. Keep an eye on multiple platforms, including comic shops, online marketplaces, and auctions. Sometimes, networking with other collectors can lead to finding those elusive issues.

### Signature Verification and Grading Costs

The cost of grading and signature verification can add up quickly, especially when dealing with multiple signatures. It's essential to weigh the value of the comic and the significance of the signatures against the cost of verification. For particularly valuable issues, the investment might be worthwhile. For others, it might be more economical to enjoy the comic as-is, especially if the signature holds personal sentimental value to you.

### Conclusion

In summary, your dedication to collecting Amazing Spider-Man comics is truly inspiring. The journey of collecting, with all its highs and lows, is part of what makes it so rewarding. Dealing with mail delivery issues, expanding your collection, navigating grading and signature verification, and balancing your budget are all part of this intricate process. By staying connected with the collector community and continuing to set clear goals for yourself, you’ll not only enjoy the fruits of your labor but also the journey itself.

Your passion for Spider-Man and comic collecting is evident, and with your methodical approach, there's no doubt you'll achieve your goals. Whether it's completing your ASM Vol. 1 run, expanding into new characters, or managing the intricacies of grading, your dedication will see you through. Keep collecting, keep sharing your experiences, and most importantly, keep enjoying the world of Spider-Man.

In full disclosure the entirety of the above was drafted by my AI proxy. Have a great day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate79

Hey all! SoIm really turning into a Spiderman Junkie. For the last 6-8 months I can say without exagerating that Mostly every day of the work week ive been receiving copies of ASM Vol.1 in the mail that I bought on ebay. Im comparing it to an addiction now because generally there is one day and less often two days each week that the mailman comes and goes and i either didnt get any comics or instead of delivering the comics he leaves an attempted to deliver card telling me to cpme pick it up at my nearest post office the next day. Its so fustrating when Ive been home the entire time waiting for him and there was no delivery but the lazy ass letter carrier just doesnt bring any parcels with him to
addresses downtown that are in sketchy areas because if the recipient isnt home he cant leave it somewhere that it wont be in high risk of theft and will have to keep it with him till his end of shift. My area is the sketchiest neighborhood in canada again (once again a non exagerated fact) but my building does have a lobby with a attendant there in an office at all times. So there is no levit excuse for this other than his unionized position protects his lazy ass from reprimand and lets him put minimal effort into his profession without any risk to his job stability. Anyway sorry i didnt mean to go off on an off topic rage like that. Where was I....oh yeah so anyway on these comicless dreary days of sadness and turmoil i have developed a desire that has grown atronger and stronger as time passes to go to my local comic store and scratch the much needed itch and get there with my 25 dollar budget and im lucky if i only only end up spending double that intended budget.anyway ive recently become so close to completing the asm vol1 run that i often cant find any of my needed issues any more. At the shop there just wont ne any and ebay just wont have it in the condition comparable to the rest of the run and number one #50 and #129 im just not yet in a financial position to afford. I started collecting again about 18 months ago where i left off when i stopped back in 1993 with my intentions being to conplete the entire asm vol 1
And I plan to consider the run completed only when ive got all 441 issues and i have them all slabbed and grade. Get copies signed with verified or witnessed sigs when ever an opportunity presents itself. Nothing lower than 3.5 in the first 25 issues. Nothing lower than 4.5-5.0 from 25-50 nothing lower than 6.5 from 50-100. Nothing lower than 7.5 from 100-150 and only 8.0 pr better from 150to 250 9.0 or betterfrom 250 to 300. And after 300 only 9.4 and up. So as i mentioned im getting close to finishing getting the copies and have redirected most of my focus to doing the grading. If I buy them graded Ill go with CBCS or CGC but the ones i submit ive been exclusively using CBCS. But once i started redirecting my money to grading i started really missing getting new comics so now i still make sure to buy at least an issue or 2 each day so i could remain satisfied. So obviously I expanded from collecting nothing outside of asm vol 1 to any key issues of spider man comic run. And more recently. Because i read the digital version of every book i buy and once I got to asm 300 and higher i finally discovered characters i liked even more than the hob goblin. Those characters are venom and carnage. So ive recently expanded again to the Seperation Anxiety Venom run. I also will buy any DC book that the joker has a role in.Abput 2 weeks ago managed to get the last variant cover i needed for the 1990 spiderman 1 covers except for newstand bronze.today i decided to upgrade from poly bags to mylars and when i pulled out the silver cover i noticed it was signed by todd macfarlane on the inside first page. I y local comic shop was not aware of it when they sold it to me. So I really want to send it down to cbcs for Verification and grading but im nervous because just recently i bought on ebay ASM 500 signed by both Romitas and stan Lee and had to pay 50 for one sig and $30 for the second sig and another $30 for the 3rd then grading gradung and all that shit. I also⁶ in the same submission sent a copy of asm 1 from (2014) 1st cindy moon appearance that that I bought during a Dan Slott signing at my local comic shop..at the same time and added image and pressing as well as grading and verificatioom . That one was just "72.00 but but the asm500 was like 125 and without pressing mainly due to the 3 sigs. And then only the dan slott book is coming back slabbed i just learned that this is the case because they were un able to verify the Stan LEE sig. So now im nervous to send in a book with a sig for verificstion that i didnt personally seethe artist sign so ive been debating if i want to risk itthen tonight i decided to ask all of you for your opinion and if i get more yays then nays ill take the chance . So thank u in advance
Post 5 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Don’t forget the Blue Lizard error (silver), McFarlane web stamp (silver), and purple web (green),
Post 6 IP   flag post
616096 6 6