Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC Partner Points Out CGC/CBCS Value Differences20872

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics need to correct the issue numbers for JO. Says 34 and 34. I’m guessing you mean 134 and 135?

When auctions on commonly available books are ending close to 90 day average, as yours did, I typically consider that to be a good result.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
@KatKomics need to correct the issue numbers for JO. Says 34 and 34. I’m guessing you mean 134 and 135?

When auctions on commonly available books are ending close to 90 day average, as yours did, I typically consider that to be a good result.

whoops!!
134 and 135 it is!!

and agreed! coming in and around the GPA is a win...now...if this was a mixed auction would the CBCS books get the same as the CGC - who knows! but on this small data set I would say CBCS is netting the same FMV as CGC (since GPA is only CGC)
Are these CBCS getting FMV because it is CBCS buyers looking for CBCS books...heaven forbid are there CGC buyers looking at CGC books and without a CGC option to bid on they end up at FMV??

Maybe the takeaway is I should only sell in CBCS only auctions???
MCS - make this type of auction happen more than just for a 10th anniversary!!
Post 52 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Where did Xmen 1 land?
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
on this small data set I would say CBCS is netting the same FMV as CGC (since GPA is only CGC)
Are these CBCS getting FMV because it is CBCS buyers looking for CBCS books

If your experience holds up in general, I think it's worthy of analysis from a "social behavior" standpoint. I was recently reading that quite possibly the most compelling form of persuasion is "seeing that other people in your peer group are doing it". Auction results probably highlight this behavior in a very tangible way. Perhaps it's a grouping of CBCS friendly buyers. I think also there is the psychological effect from seeing a very large grouping of CBCS books in one selling venue. Establishing confidence that the service has been used quite extensively by other collectors. As opposed to a mixed auction where a small spattering of CBCS books are mixed in with a large grouping of CGC books. Enforcing the opposite conclusion in a buyer's mind. I would also consider the credibility that MCS lends to the CBCS brand by hosting such an auction.
Post 54 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia
I have a feeling the moderns are going to let me down....maybe I'll be wrong?
Post 55 IP   flag post

Quote:
@EbayMafia
I have a feeling the moderns are going to let me down....maybe I'll be wrong?

@KatKomics I agree. In particular, I think that the irrational premium sometimes paid for 9.8's is territory fully owned by CGC. Kind of makes sense though. The mindset that would pay an inexplicably high premium for 9.8 over 9.6 would also be likely to pay an irrational premium for one company's label over the other.
Post 56 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
The cgc Registry.
Post 57 IP   flag post
well....2 more settled and 1 to go

New Teen Titans #1 8.0
Final $50
no GPA data - call it a win - wanted this book out of my sight - feelings hurt and heart saddened with grade

Spider-Man 2099 #1 9.8 verified Peter David
Final $130
GPA 12 = $144
GPA 90 day = $118
A Win!! - beat 90day GPA - maybe due to the signature ??

so again - super small sample - but almost all my 7 books so far have been at or above or maybe just shy of GPA/FMV - no penalty for being CBCS!!!
Post 58 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
the irrational premium sometimes paid for 9.8's is territory fully owned by CGC. Kind of makes sense though. The mindset that would pay an inexplicably high premium for 9.8 over 9.6 would also be likely to pay an irrational premium for one company's label over the other.

This is soooooooooooooo 100%!
Post 59 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Did the original CGC Partner point out that the reason CGC sells for higher than CBCS is because people are stupid?
Post 60 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
Did the original CGC Partner point out that the reason CGC sells for higher than CBCS is because people are stupid?

I don't think stupid recognizes its own stupidity.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Quote:
New Teen Titans #1 8.0
Final $50
no GPA data - call it a win - wanted this book out of my sight - feelings hurt and heart saddened with grade

Last GPA sales March 2024. Direct sale 8.0 $33. Newsstand 8.0 $54
Post 62 IP   flag post
Wondering if anyone can shed some light on my one pleasant surprise from the auctions:
X-Men 130 CBC 9.4 final price $432.
I don't think I've seen any history of CGC 9.4's selling at this price. I think I had it listed around $350 before the auction. There's a CGC 9.6 on MCS website offered at $470.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=60439834
Post 63 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by figment

I don't think stupid recognizes its own stupidity.

One must be at least partially awake in order to recognize that they have been asleep.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Quote:
Wondering if anyone can shed some light on my one pleasant surprise from the auctions:
X-Men 130 CBC 9.4 final price $432.
I don't think I've seen any history of CGC 9.4's selling at this price. I think I had it listed around $350 before the auction. There's a CGC 9.6 on MCS website offered at $470.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=60439834

Just sn educated guess on my part, but it's usually one of two things. 1) You have two very determined bidders caught up in auction fever. 2) Someone believes it has pressable defects that will bump the grade enough to warrant the purchase price. You can also have a combination of the two.

Another explanation can be seen in the above comments that reference the word, "stupid."

A cgc 9.4 sold for $425 back in May and April. One sold for $450 back in January.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
New Teen Titans #1 8.0
Final $50

Last GPA sales March 2024. Direct sale 8.0 $33. Newsstand 8.0 $54

huh...I've just been going by the GPA data that MCS provides for free on your listings - they must have got it wrong?

In that case -$50 realized vs $54 GPA = on target!
Post 66 IP   flag post
@KatKomics Data directly from the gpanalysis.com web site. Maybe MCS needs to run an update.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
You all have forgotten the third option.

I wanted (won) that X-MEN #130 because it was one I wanted.

Now, I may have over paid for it, but this time next year I can (might) say I got a good deal for it.

Either way. I'm happy.

Post 68 IP   flag post
@Rafel glad to hear it! Thank you for your bids, and the immediate payment upon winning is always a classy touch. That book was originally from the @Scifinator Pedigree. We met up in person when I bought it from him. If I remember correctly, we were pretty much the only people in the area as the whole state was staying home in lockdown at the time.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel

Now, I may have over paid for it, but this time next year I can (might) say I got a good deal for it.

Either way. I'm happy.

I was the same way with my Avengers 196 CBCS 9.6. I wanted it.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Last sale finalized

Detective #880 9.8 foil
Final $96
a miss

GPA 12 = $166
GAP 90day = 149

and..while a miss I still think it is ok?
supposedly only 7 sales in las 12 months so it seems like momentum was gone on this book - now I had cover price and grading fee in on this one - so still did just fine.

All in a mixed bag?
I was hoping for $800, mix of GPA and last MCS sales said I should be at $839ish..but some books did not have sales since 2021 etc.

I ended at $783

Since my initial guess was $800 - not bad
Even missing by $56 vs the $839 GPA/last sale mix is only a miss of around 7% -nothing horrible!

Next up MCS should be picking up a full run of verified Tim Sale Batman Long Halloween books
None pressed to save $ and should all be in the 9's
My hope for those is to make back the grading/verification fees so $55 per book average to add to the pot - then go looking for 1 decent book- sell 20 buy 1...a good trade!
Post 71 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics sorry. what was the $800 book
Post 72 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

no, no - $800 was my total 'goal' for this event with the 8 books I sent in

Some hit the FMV, one or 2 beat, some missed by a small amount, some I probably had unjustified expectations for since there was little or no sales for a few years -all in I landed right about where I wanted though, and did not experience the % loss that the CGC/CBCS article had posited - with a super small sample though

These were all duplicates from my collection -so needed to go
Chances are I would not part with an $800 value individual book!
Post 73 IP   flag post
Here are my auction results in case anyone is interested in seeing them:

Uncanny X-Men (1963 1st Series) 49 CBCS 4.5 $131.00
Weird Fantasy (1951 E.C. Comics 2nd Series) 13 CBCS 5.5 $281.00
Uncanny X-Men (1963 1st Series) 130D CBCS 9.4 Direct Edition $432.00
Spawn (1992 Image) 1D CBCS 9.8 Direct Edition. $125.00
Weird Science (1950 E.C.) 7 CBCS 6.0 $280.00
Whiz Comics (1940 Fawcett) 21 CBCS 3.5 (20-48E05B5-015) Centerfold detached. $240.00
Post 74 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Rafel glad to hear it! Thank you for your bids, and the immediate payment upon winning is always a classy touch. That book was originally from the @Scifinator Pedigree. We met up in person when I bought it from him. If I remember correctly, we were pretty much the only people in the area as the whole state was staying home in lockdown at the time.

Why thank you kind sir. I didn't pay for it with a credit card. I didn't want to pay that 3% fee so I sent my check in about 3 hours ago. @Scifinator is a Pedigree? I didn't know that but it's cool. I wanted to be a "Pedigree" myself and not sure why I didn't qualify. I start in 1968 and quit in 1982. Maybe the 1967's and back I picked up here and there, but from 67' to 82' everything was bought off the rack including my HULK 102 and 181, Spidey 129, Subby 1, Iron Man 1, Captain America 100 and GSX #1. Alllll at cover price too.
Post 75 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Either way. I'm happy.

I was the same way with my Avengers 196 CBCS 9.6. I wanted it.

And now it's yours and you're happy.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

no, no - $800 was my total 'goal' for this event with the 8 books I sent in

Some hit the FMV, one or 2 beat, some missed by a small amount, some I probably had unjustified expectations for since there was little or no sales for a few years -all in I landed right about where I wanted though, and did not experience the % loss that the CGC/CBCS article had posited - with a super small sample though

These were all duplicates from my collection -so needed to go
Chances are I would not part with an $800 value individual book!

oh got it thanks
Post 77 IP   flag post
Quote:
Why thank you kind sir. I didn't pay for it with a credit card. I didn't want to pay that 3% fee so I sent my check in about 3 hours ago.

That's odd, on my MCS dashboard it showed as "sold" pretty much right away.

Quote:
@Scifinator is a Pedigree? I didn't know that but it's cool.

Not officially, no. Just has (or had) the largest collection of CBCS graded books that I've ever come across.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Why thank you kind sir. I didn't pay for it with a credit card. I didn't want to pay that 3% fee so I sent my check in about 3 hours ago.

Quote:

Not officially, no. Just has (or had) the largest collection of CBCS graded books that I've ever come across.

Sweet!! My CBCS graded books is growing also.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

It will show sold but it will not ship or move to "payment pending" until the cheque has cleared
Post 80 IP   flag post
611380 80 30