Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCertified Comics For SaleQuestions

What would the CBCS Forum members do/prefer?20789

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Feel free to use this thread for other questions that you might have and would like to hear Forum members thoughts.

Let me start off with this:

If you were to buy a complete graded run (mini-series or general title) of mostly 9.8's w/one 9.9 or 10.0, would you prefer (and maybe even pay more) for a run that had they exact same previous generation labels on 100% of that rune or would you prefer/even care if all but one of the labels was in the that previous generation but for the one that is graded 9.9 or 10.0 in new/current style which hilites that rare grade?

Do you

A) OCD for label uniformity?
B) Go for showcase of the grade?
C) Not care one way or the other?

What say the Forum members?
Post 1 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
I collect comic books. I love comic books. I don't care if they are in mylar, a cbcs old/new slab or a cgc old/new slab.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
For my collection or runs: My preference is label generation match...but I feel it's next to impossible to make that a reality. If I come across a run with the same generation labels.....I notice it, I like it, I may consider paying a small premium for it, but that's about it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm probably the lone outlier because I really do not like graded books and only slab mine with the intention to sell.

That said, my answer is whichever set will sell for more is what I'd want.
Post 4 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmccoy74
I collect comic books. I love comic books. I don't care if they are in mylar, a cbcs old/new slab or a cgc old/new slab.

This.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I like the uniformity of labels of a collection but I realize that, that is just for me....its so hard to actually do that and when the collection gets sold, it'll be broken up anyway.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Little of A mostly C?
Mostly I don't care one way or another...but...in very specific cases I would like...if possible...all the same

i.e. My Kravens last hunt run I had signed by Zeck...before I knew pressing was a thing. So now I have some of the run that would 100% benefit from a press but would result in non-conformaty...unless I moved all from CGC to CBCS?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, lack of uniformity does annoy me, but at end of the day, the collection would be unique to me and my wallet overrides any significant price markups. Also, whenever a new label comes out in the future, I would not update all the labels for that consistency. When will that end?!

What bothers me more is if it’s in an old case with defects and/or wear-and-tear, rather than version.
Post 8 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I don't care which label is which. That said I tend to steer clear of books with the new cgc label. I feel more comfortable buying the old, older, and oldest label books.

I'll buy any CBCS label. I'm not that fond of the rivets label, but I can usually get those cheaper.

When I look at my graded books, from the top down, the various label, slab, and company combinations make my collection look more diverse than a Disney production.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector NDS private msg quote post Address this user
I have the Spider-Man (1990) McFarlane run plus the first couple Larsen. Direct Editions... All CBCS Blue, 9.8's (not the new ones, generation before, don't like the new ones). I had a couple opportunities to fill the run with CGC Blue labels, but decided against it because I wanted consistency with the runs slab appearance. Part of it was OCD, but the other part was to see if I could do it. I was able to which is satisfying, but I passed on a couple #17 (Thanos Leonardi cover) and my OCD makes me regret it, because it is now hard to find in the CBCS Blue label of the run at a reasonable price. Thought I might break it out one day and have Todd sign them all... pipe dream really. So while, I'd like to say C... A def comes into play...
Post 10 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmccoy74

100%
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I collect comic books (95% MARVEL) pre-1982. I only buy CBCS slabs. I don't like or trust CGC.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I collect cool sh!t I like. 1st appearances, #1's, and sexy art.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I am now of the age where I am whittling down the pile, but still buying anything I think is cool enough. Since I sell my graded books individually, as one offs, the label year, company, design means little. (Although I own none of the horrible company)
It must be tough for those who collect runs though, breaking them up is the only way to maximize value.
Post 14 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Doesn't matter as long as I like the book. After all it's for me
I do like the cgc pedigree label for those books. But those are a tiny portion of the overall collection.
They mostly sit in a box anyway, so I don't look at them everyday or even every month.
Although I am a bit behind on my filing away, so there are a few stacks sitting about.
I have a couple of buddy's that have bad OCD issues. I just tell them to breathe. It's going to be alright....
So blue label - yellow label - dark bronze label - label schmabel... it's all about the books.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
It must be tough for those who collect runs though, breaking them up is the only way to maximize value.

@doog - Not true...'from a certain point of view', if one intends to keep a collection until one Force Ghosts -
Post 16 IP   flag post
Love seeing the feedback. Others, continue to chime in.

As I have, and will continue to display comics in my personal UV protected vault (converted closet), here is where I was going with this...

As an example, I have full Deathmate run including the Tour Book, the standard issues, the Gold variants, and the 4 Preview versions (Advance Comics Green - If not for Profit, Comic Defense Green - If not for Profit, Previews Orange - Harbinger of Death, and Previews Pink - Harbinger of Death). Almost all are 9.8. The one exception is the 10.0 Preview Advance Comic variant (SHGE).

Normally, I would only give this a partial thought. Which is exactly what happened. What was more important to me? The uniformity of all 9.8's or having the SHGE. SHGE won out over my OCD.

Then, CBCS brought out the new labels. Not an issue...but then, I noticed that CBCS did something insidious. The made the 9.9 and 10.0 labels with special grade font and box arrow colors for the to further hi-light the specialness of the grade. Ooooohhhh.

So, for my OCD'ers, I ask the additional question...Do you:

A) find/buy a 9.8 with the legacy label and sell the 10.0?

B) Re-Holder the 10.0 for the special label?

C) Refill your prozac prescription so you can cope with the oddity?

D) Re-Holder the whole lot?

Examples below:

Post 17 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
It wouldn’t bother me for a larger run. Uniformity for a short series like Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe for display would be nice. Overall I wouldn’t care and that signed copy would throw it all off anyway.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
I have and buy all generations of slabs from both companies, but of late have been reholdering the oldest CBCS ones in favor of the sonic weld cases. Would love have all the CGC ones (of which there are far greater numbers) in CBCS sonic welds as well, but that's not financially realistic.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
I literally do not care. As long as the slab is in decent shape, I will leave it be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Little of A mostly C?
Mostly I don't care one way or another...but...in very specific cases I would like...if possible...all the same

i.e. My Kravens last hunt run I had signed by Zeck...before I knew pressing was a thing. So now I have some of the run that would 100% benefit from a press but would result in non-conformaty...unless I moved all from CGC to CBCS?

I was having some of mine signed by Zeck, and he asked me if I wanted Bob McLeod to sign them too. I said, "Sure!" He leaned back and yelled over his shoulder, "Hey, Bob! Come sign this guy's stuff!"

I swear, it was one of the funniest interactions I have ever had with a creator at a show.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@James42 - Cool story. Congrats on the bonus signing.

That picture looks like how finger nails on a chalkboard sounds.
Post 21 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator lol... Rich you know you want your file cabinet to look like that...
Purple, yellow, red, blue, green labels all mixed together...lol.....
Post 22 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I don't mind a purple label, depending on what has been done to the book.

Green labels are the "What If?" and DC imaginary tales of the comic book grading world. Practically worthless in my opinion. The ONLY exception might be where a signature is involved. At least those can now be verified, to some degree. Still, no real need for a green label.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@DrWatson That sounds like a good thread
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
@DrWatson That sounds like a good thread
@OGJackster -As soon as i saw your new thread,I thought I wonder if this thread inspired that thread. Then I see you post. 🍻
Post 25 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson Green labels are stupid. Also, all green label grades should be 10.0; if we are grading the book as if it doesn't have flaws, it's gen mint.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42
@DrWatson Green labels are stupid. Also, all green label grades should be 10.0; if we are grading the book as if it doesn't have flaws, it's gen mint.

Pretty sure CGC has a fee to pay now to receive a 9.9 or 10 grade...
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:

Pretty sure CGC has a fee to pay now to receive a 9.9 or 10 grade...

Sooooo....CGC charges an extra fee for 9.9 or 10 grades?? What kinda crap is that? And what happens if you don't pay that "fee"? Will CGC keep your comic book or give it a lower grade?

More reasons why I will never use CGC.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Pay to play.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I have a different opinion. I think it’s reasonable to differentiate between two books that have a major flaw in common but otherwise are in completely different condition. Certainly reasonable people would value them differently, so why not have an option for third-party graders to evaluate them differently?
Post 30 IP   flag post
618083 39 30