Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

A mini tragedy in four parts20762

Collector Cerebus3000 private msg quote post Address this user
As a kid I wanted to protect and preserve my comics. That included the mini comics that I collected. Alas, no bags and boards for mini comics. For some reason I thought my photo album would keep them safe. Flat surface, plastic covering, hard cardboard binder protecting everything. Oh, and that slightly sticky surface will keep them from sliding around! Perfect.

Almost 45 years later and I am surprised to learn how slightly sticky became some approximation of crazy glue.

Post 1 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
sucks!!!

use a hair dryer behind the book...it might loosen the book...might get gummy though.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe mineral spirits…. VERY little?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@Cerebus3000 - Yes, try a blow dryer. Slow and cautious, but may work. Then send to @SteveRicketts for clean and press to help remove/reduce residue.
Post 4 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I'd leave them. I think that's very cool. Part of what makes comics a great hobby is the history and that's great history.
Post 5 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
I unfortunately had this same discovery with the Marvel cards, I had an old album like that and when they got popular during the boom and that stan lee was selling good I thought I'd take mine out, but it left half of the back layer of paper on the page 😔
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Optic_Blast private msg quote post Address this user
Cool 1st appearance of Heman and the Masters of the Universe. It looks to be in pretty nice shape. I've had old photo albums like yours and after 30+ years they lost a lot of tack so the pictures weren't as stuck as they were when it was new. As others said, you may try to warm up the back side of the album sheet to see if it'll release the book from the page.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
lol...I did not have many mini comics but I did have a sticker album - still around somewhere - I dig those scratch and sniff stickers!!!!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector donutsdad private msg quote post Address this user
98% of the value of comics are in the front cover, the back cover is like your back teeth, only needed when chewing on 7 day old pizza and that never happens unless you're in college
Post 9 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
In case you are curious, here’s a view of the rear cover of the Secret Origins mini-comics. It’s interesting (and also ironic) that they wanted us to buy their collector’s album for safe storage. They must have been psychic! (Not so fond memories of the snail mail of the past - wait 8 to 10 weeks for delivery!)

Post 10 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I'd leave them. I think that's very cool. Part of what makes comics a great hobby is the history and that's great history.

Was my first thought as well...don't undo the very real and organic nostalgia.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@AndyRexia - Welcome back!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Cerebus3000 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967

Was my first thought as well...don't undo the very real and organic nostalgia.

I think if I could extract them with minimal effort and zero damage I think I would. However, that seems unlikely, and the nostalgia factor is real. I have vague memories of taking my time to line them up just right, but looking at the pictures I do wonder at what my younger self considered precision placement.
Post 13 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebus3000
I have vague memories of taking my time to line them up just right, but looking at the pictures I do wonder at what my younger self considered precision placement.

And I'm betting that, once you got them lined up just right (by younger self standards) you were pretty proud of how they looked. If it's me, I keep that memory intact. But, that's just me. 🙂
Post 14 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
In case you are curious, here’s a view of the rear cover of the Secret Origins mini-comics. It’s interesting (and also ironic) that they wanted us to buy their collector’s album for safe storage. They must have been psychic! (Not so fond memories of the snail mail of the past - wait 8 to 10 weeks for delivery!)

they were probably made with asbestos, lead, mercury treated felt, and pvc.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
they were probably made with asbestos, lead, mercury treated felt, and pvc.

With a little bit of Benzene and Arsenic
Post 16 IP   flag post
611380 16 16