Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSPComics MagazinesPop CultureSignatures

CBCS Crooks20753

I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickjones2549
Sent in two books to be verified and slabbed. They were returned, and one of the books (graded a 9.0) has a piece of plastic inside the slab and the bottom of the plastic in the slab is torn

So the books were returned...

Quote:
They have since stopped responding and STILL have my book, essentially stealing something that I sent in.

So the books weren't returned?!?!

Quote:
They also refused to give me a reimbursement, saying that they could only give me what a 7.5 was worth

So they didn't refuse to give you reimbursement?!?!

I'm sleep deprived and my brain may not be functioning properly, but this is the most confusing post ever.
Post 26 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Customer service brought this book to me today. I am the one who removed it from the case. The book had broken through the inner well, which is caused by the package taking a very hard impact on one side. Sometimes there is no visible damage to the package because the impact was squarely on a flat side of the box. (An object in motion wants to remain in motion.)

I did what I could to repair the book but there was color breaking damage on the edge that couldn't be completely fixed.

I took the book to the grading room to get a new (post-damage) grade, then returned it to CS with my assessment.

I don't know what was communicated to the customer, nor if the situation was resolved through them yet. I'll follow up with CS in the morning and get a status update, and we'll go from there.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts thanks Steve
Post 28 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Customer service brought this book to me today. I am the one who removed it from the case. The book had broken through the inner well, which is caused by the package taking a very hard impact on one side. Sometimes there is no visible damage to the package because the impact was squarely on a flat side of the box. (An object in motion wants to remain in motion.)

I did what I could to repair the book but there was color breaking damage on the edge that couldn't be completely fixed.

I took the book to the grading room to get a new (post-damage) grade, then returned it to CS with my assessment.

I don't know what was communicated to the customer, nor if the situation was resolved through them yet. I'll follow up with CS in the morning and get a status update, and we'll go from there.

Post 29 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:
Sent in two books to be verified and slabbed. They were returned, and one of the books (graded a 9.0) has a piece of plastic inside the slab and the bottom of the plastic in the slab is torn

So the books were returned...

Quote:
They have since stopped responding and STILL have my book, essentially stealing something that I sent in.

So the books weren't returned?!?!

Quote:
They also refused to give me a reimbursement, saying that they could only give me what a 7.5 was worth

So they didn't refuse to give you reimbursement?!?!

I'm sleep deprived and my brain may not be functioning properly, but this is the most confusing post ever.

He received the book the first time after verification but with broken plastic inside. He sent it back and that's where it is now.
As for reimbursement, he's saying they'll only reimburse him for the 7.5 grade, not the original signed 9.0 he sent in. But then they stopped responding altogether.

I get the reimbursement issue, although for that book I think it's worth throwing in the extra $50 difference between a 7.5 and 9.0 in good faith just to appease him. Since it's signed, ruined, and he's not going to be quiet about it.

I can see that their inner well wasn't strong enough to hold the book but the part I'm stuck on is how there is damage to the inside of the slab but not the outside, according to the OP.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Patrickjones2549 private msg quote post Address this user
I've messaged Steve directly and thanked him for responding. Hopefully he'll be able to talk some sense into the customer service department there. Yeah, and it was packaged with another magazine sized book that was just fine. You'd think if it were due to a hard hit, a. the box would show some tiny sign of being dropped, b. the outer slab would've been affected, c. the other slabbed magazine would have been affected, too. And yes, I did pay for some insurance through them. Here were my 9.0 graded notes prior to encapsulation and mishandling:

"small bend through book top right corner with small crease back cover barely breaks color
small impact left bottom edge with small bend through book & small crease front cover barely breaks color"

All I want is FMV for a signed and slabbed 9.0 and reimbursement for the $55 I paid to have it authenticated and slabbed, and I did not receive the service I paid for and now have a destroyed signed book. I had that signed by Claremont years ago and have been specifically waiting for CBCS to slab magazine sized books to send it in. It's just disappointing.
Post 31 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros

I can see that their inner well wasn't strong enough to hold the book but the part I'm stuck on is how there is damage to the inside of the slab but not the outside, according to the OP.

Consider a new vs old car - hitting an object that gives a bit that still results in rapid deceleration. The old car may not show much exterior damage. But force translated to the person inside is severe… new car crumples. Inside is protected as more of the energy of deceleration was transferred to deforming the exterior.

I mentioned this in a thread previously that had (highly unscientific) videos of impact damage differences between CGC and CBCS slabs. The damage to the slab is pretty meaningless… it is all about how external forces are distributed between the slab and book inside.

I can imagine a “well packed” slab that has very little give between the edges and the exterior box - and overly firm protection (cardboard around edges, for example). It can slammed down against one edge flat and the force is distributed sufficiently to cause no damage (including due to that firm padding). The deceleration force is borne by the book inside the inner well - the book acting as a wedge as the well edge-on from outside doesn’t give much).

A better design would allow deformation, and actually weaken the edge-on strength of the well.

Sometimes, though, it isn’t worth over-engineering for these exceptional circumstances. Always trade-offs.

My view is the fault was in the shipping and perhaps packing, not CBCS…
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave so someone different than CBCS is packing their slabs? I wouldn't think so.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry to hear the OPs book was damaged.

I think there are two only outcomes.

The book is returned to the OP as is.

Or CBCS keeps the book and reimburses what the value the owner valued the book when submitted.

The OP wants FMV, trouble is the OP hasn't stated what value they put down on the submission sheet?
Post 34 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:

Consider a new vs old car - hitting an object that gives a bit that still results in rapid deceleration. The old car may not show much exterior damage. But force translated to the person inside is severe… new car crumples. Inside is protected as more of the energy of deceleration was transferred to deforming the exterior.

I mentioned this in a thread previously that had (highly unscientific) videos of impact damage differences between CGC and CBCS slabs. The damage to the slab is pretty meaningless… it is all about how external forces are distributed between the slab and book inside.

I can imagine a “well packed” slab that has very little give between the edges and the exterior box - and overly firm protection (cardboard around edges, for example). It can slammed down against one edge flat and the force is distributed sufficiently to cause no damage (including due to that firm padding). The deceleration force is borne by the book inside the inner well - the book acting as a wedge as the well edge-on from outside doesn’t give much).

A better design would allow deformation, and actually weaken the edge-on strength of the well.

Sometimes, though, it isn’t worth over-engineering for these exceptional circumstances. Always trade-offs.

My view is the fault was in the shipping and perhaps packing, not CBCS…

Yea, I understand what you're saying. I guess with such a simple design as the 2 pieces of flat plastic, I can't think of a piece that would break off due to impact or even the jostling of the book. Probably just my ignorance.

I can tell by the type of cover damage shown this book must be a graphic novel, so it's heavier than a standard comic and it certainly will react differently upon impact. And I'm just taking his word that there was no exterior damage to the slab itself.

I also agree this isn't CBCS's fault necessarily, as long as that plastic was due to damage and not a "feature" like at CGC, lol. But certainly the bottom edge ripping due to the inner well's inability to hold the book is certainly due to shipping.

Very unfortunate this is a signed book. Otherwise it would be a simple replacement for him.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I get the reimbursement issue, although for that book I think it's worth throwing in the extra $50 difference between a 7.5 and 9.0 in good faith
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
THE BOOK SHOULD BE reimbursement FOR THE 9.0 it was in, as thus when it was DMG. not the other way around, trying to short hand some one with it now a 7.0 and that's what it worth now. the book was DMG at a 9.0.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion
THE BOOK SHOULD BE reimbursement FOR THE 9.0 it was in, as thus when it was DMG. not the other way around, trying to short hand some one with it now a 7.0 and that's what it worth now. the book was DMG at a 9.0.

But what value did the submitter put down on the form?

That's the books worth, why you put the value down when you fill out the form.

To insure for loss and damage.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Shipping insurance should take care of it not CBCS. JUST MY 2 cents.
Post 39 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head
Shipping insurance should take care of it not CBCS. JUST MY 2 cents.
Yes, but if you put $300 Declared Value on a $500 book, CBCS will insure it going back for $300. So that will be the limitation from either CBCS or the shipping carrier. Basically, in this example, the submitter under-insured it from the get go, his mistake, he eats the difference.
Post 40 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross Happy Birthday over there.....
Post 41 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
@Davethebrave so someone different than CBCS is packing their slabs? I wouldn't think so.

Fair enough. I should have said “…fault was in the shipping and perhaps packing, not CBCS grading.”

I read the post (as best I could decipher) as implicating CBCS grading/encapsulating specifically and saying packing and shipping weren’t to blame. Anything is possible - but I think you can end up with that damage and still have packing look solid and box intact.

Perhaps they graded with that damage and just shipped it out hoping the customer was blind. Or there was a whoopsie during encapsulation and QC missed it. It’s entirely possible. I still think it more likely that the box took an impact during shipping.

But who knows?
Post 42 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I believe it more likely happened during encapsulation process and was simply missed or ignored by QC. Books are packed far too well for any kind of shipping impact to do that kind of interior damage alone.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
https://nypost.com/2024/05/10/us-news/fedex-driver-fired-after-dana-white-videos-him-throwing-packages-into-truck-posts-it-online-report/

I think I figured out what happened…
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
https://nypost.com/2024/05/10/us-news/fedex-driver-fired-after-dana-white-videos-him-throwing-packages-into-truck-posts-it-online-report/

I think I figured out what happened…

Hardly enough impact with those tosses to impact a well packaged bubble wrapped slab. I would also venture to say that virtually all FedEx, UPS and USPS packages are tossed, thrown or dropped like this every day during transit. It takes a lot more than that to damage the high quality CBCS slab in a well pack bubble wrappped packaged IMHO
Post 45 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
I believe it more likely happened during encapsulation process and was simply missed or ignored by QC. Books are packed far too well for any kind of shipping impact to do that kind of interior damage alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
I am the one who removed it from the case. The book had broken through the inner well, which is caused by the package taking a very hard impact on one side. Sometimes there is no visible damage to the package because the impact was squarely on a flat side of the box. (An object in motion wants to remain in motion.)

@BigRedOne1944 - So, believe that a well respected comic industry veteran who has probably forgotten more incidents and issues than all of us forum members have cumulatively seen, is what? Lying? Or maybe you just think he doesn’t know what he is talking about. 🫤

Having shipped and received products, large and small, heavy and light, in well designed/professional packaging for years, one thing I am certain of, you do not need to see external package damage for the internal contents to be damaged in transit.
Post 46 IP   flag post
I never said anything about Mr Ricketts lying or not being an experienced hobby person, those are your words and spin.

Im simply of the opinion that the type of impact damage to a High Quality CBCS slab could just as likely or more be due to improper handling in the encapsulation process or being dropped in the in house shipping department than it is once inside a well packaged bubble wrapped finished shipping package.

I’ve shipped thousands of books out over the years myself and never once had a damaged slab like this. If there is no outside box damage that means the book was improperly packaged in the first place in which the slab was allow to move and or bounce inside IMHO

So my question would be to Steve…. Can you verify the condition of the slab after it went through encapsulation, quality control and the in house shipping department?

If not could you please verify when was the last time you seen the slab in the CBCS facility before opening the returned package?

Post 47 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user

Post 48 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Your opinion came after the post/explanation from Ricketts. As such, your comment was either unintentionally ill-timed, or was an intentional credibility assault to him, or perhaps just your taking an opportunity to cr@p on CBCS.

Now, your direct question to him as to his verifying the pre-ship condition very much suggests that you were indeed questioning his credibility and expertise.

Not surprised. Reply, don’t reply, I have said my piece and am out.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector Grzegorzgrd private msg quote post Address this user
Ya sending books in for re-grading and signature verification definitely has its risk. A while back I sent in a Spiderman 2099 #1 CGC 9.8 qualified signed by Rick Leonardi. Took probably about 1.5 years to come back, got it back a couple months back. Came back a CBCS 9.2 with a new crunch on the spine below the bottom staple. I assumed the book was damaged during removal. However I did not do my due diligence and take good pics before sending so really had no recourse and with the book dropping in value quite a bit did not really want to go through the back and forth just to be get a few bucks back. It's definitely something to thing about when sending in. There is that unknown part of "what if they fuck it up" aspect. Its like gambling but the payoff coming way way way later.... or not .
Post 50 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
I had a book break in shipment to a buyer. Shipped with UPS. Arrived very damaged. I paid for $200 insurance. It was very well packed…. But not well enough I guess. I got reimbursed, but Problem is, it wasn’t for the value of the book, it was for the sales amount on the eBay sale. Was told “if the book sold for x, it can be replaced for x. Therefore that’s the reimbursement amount.” Lesson learned. Never insure for more than you sold it for. (And pack better than I did)
Post 51 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Actually, I think CBCS should keep cordless high resolution cameras in every single order they fulfill. They could have constant monitoring, from the time it enters the building, to the time the customer opens the package. Each camera would be monitored by a trained professional to ensure nothing happens to the book once it leaves the facility, and if something does happen, then they would know exactly what, when, and where. Not only should they have cameras, but they should also include a microchip in every slab that would monitor the vital signs of the comic book. If any abnormal change occurs in the vitals, then they would immediately dispatch emergency response personnel to the location. They could even offer additional services as an ad on, if not for free. New comics could be $25, Moderns for $35, Bronze and Silver for $55, and Gold & Platinum for $65.
Post 52 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Plutonium for $100
And add shock indicators in every slab
Post 53 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 lol. Sicne then, Ive made it a habit of double boxing all books valued over $500. The hoops it took to jump through just to get my refund above isnt worth the extra $15 I have to pay for insurance. The lady over the phone said basically for you to get a refund for the sales price instantly without going through this 2 months of "send us this, upload that, did you take pictures of the unboxing?" the item would have to be "lost in transit". She said there's just too much fraud out there straining the insurance program. Then I read this article - and now I know why they deny claims...

https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdtn/pr/texas-man-charged-400000-shipping-scam-against-fedex

This is just one case that we know of... so now every legit damage case gets screwed i guess...
Post 54 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
The title of this thread is too provocative and slanderous.
Post 55 IP   flag post
615422 78 30