Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSPComics MagazinesPop CultureSignatures

CBCS Crooks20753

Collector Patrickjones2549 private msg quote post Address this user
Sent in two books to be verified and slabbed. They were returned, and one of the books (graded a 9.0) has a piece of plastic inside the slab and the bottom of the plastic in the slab is torn. And the bottom of the book is torn and marked from being put in the plastic. It did NOT have these marks before. This is just negligence in regard to slabbing. They claimed it was the shipping of the book that did it, but it was packaged well, and, if it had jostled around during shipping, the outside casing would be harmed. They refused to reslab it at a 9.0, stating it was no longer that grade. They also refused to give me a reimbursement, saying that they could only give me what a 7.5 was worth, since that what is was now. This is a company of crooks now that Steve Borock and Daryl Hayden are gone.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector TheShocker private msg quote post Address this user
Damn I would think reinvestment of a 9.0 would be fair since it got damaged at some point after grading and before you got it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the info. This helps.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector BecTech private msg quote post Address this user
or, at the very least. "store credit" for future grading and slabbing, at the 9.0 value
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I’m sorry this happened to you. It’s obvious the book was damaged in house by poor quality control. It’s a shame they wont own up to it and do the right thing. Customer service has never been a CBCS strong suit. Hopefully they will come around and do the right thing.
Post 5 IP   flag post
They have since stopped responding and STILL have my book, essentially stealing something that I sent in. They took my money for the faulty slabbing and now refuse to respond with going about returning my book to me. I just wish there was some way to hold these people accountable that didn't take into . I'm officially done with CBCS.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
I’m sorry this happened to you. It’s obvious the book was damaged in house by poor quality control. It’s a shame they wont own up to it and do the right thing. Customer service has never been a CBCS strong suit. Hopefully they will come around and do the right thing.

Customer service was slow, but I always got a response after emailing Daryl Hayden or Steve Borock when they were here. Whoever is calling the shots now is nothing more than a thief.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
Makes it very hard to submit more books seeing that this is their response when they damage an item. This company is their own worst enemy, they have every opportunity to blow the opposition out of the water, then you see them shoot themselves in the foot time and time again by not making things right with what could be potential repeat business. SMH
Post 8 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbolton
Makes it very hard to submit more books seeing that this is their response when they damage an item. This company is their own worst enemy, they have every opportunity to blow the opposition out of the water, then you see them shoot themselves in the foot time and time again by not making things right with what could be potential repeat business. SMH
I was literally just about to send in some books for the first time in 3 years. Now, I don't think I will.
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I had something similar happen to me about a year ago except that I (eventually) got the complete opposite response.

I got an autograph and submitted a book through an Authorized Witness but when I received the book the inner seal had failed and the book burst through it causing damage to the corner of the book.

It took a while to get a response but CBCS volunteered to regrade the book (apparently they also pressed it but that’s hard to confirm) and threw in a $75 credit. It obviously graded lower, that much was clear from the start and lord knows I would’ve been more upset had it been a more valuable book

Post 10 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@Patrickjones2549 Did you have insurance on the book?
If so, make a claim with the shipper.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Remember when dealing with raw books was considered a "hassle"; thus the advent of grading & "hassle free" services.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The good ol days

Ohhhh yea... my bad... preservation & restoration. Can't forget them
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector chillincolorado private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for posting. This makes the decision on grading some of my Silver Age keys an easy one. And I'm sorry for your hassles!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Batworldfan private msg quote post Address this user
I wish you would more clearly explain what happened, the details matter, these were graded when you sent them in, (correct?) was the other graded book undamaged, when did you send it back, etc.? Do you have before photos of comic undamaged, to prove your case?
It sucks if CBCS bad case or slabbing damaged your comic, and now are not making this right, I hope someone can reach out to help you!
I would still lean to CBCS for grading, even though the customer service is bad, because if you care about protecting comics CGC case/slab is (based on my knowledge and experience) more likely to damage the comics especially during shipping. When I buy CGC slabs, I really need to examine them carefully for post grading defects which shouldn't be, if they would just improve their case/slab, it's outdated. Both companies make grading, shipping and handling mistakes, obviously it hurts a lot more when you get personally affected by them.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t understand the justification behind not helping the customer in situations like this. The costs are minimal to fix this, especially when people notify social media when things go bad and good.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Sometimes we tend to get a little emotional when something like this happens. This is certainly not an issue unique to CBCS as this could happen with any grading service out there. What makes it unique is how any said company responses.

Take a deep breath and I believe CBCS will do the right thing here.
Post 16 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
So they're claiming that the shipper caused damage to just the inside of the slab?
Lol..

Keep trying with customer service. They're well known in the industry to be horrible. I can vouch.
They probably meant to say they'd reimburse you the FMV difference between a 7.5 an 9.0, not reimburse the value of a 7.5.....because that's what any decent company would do.
But, of course they can't reslab it with the old grade now that it's damaged. That's the only part of this that makes sense.

It's too bad they don't have staff monitoring the forum to help you out like CGC does. I thought they added that with someone named Wade but I haven't seen him much since the announcement. That Saud, I don't read every thread. If you have Instagram, you can try to get help via the CBCSComics account there.

Sucks to be ignored.
I don't blame you for being upset at this.
Post 17 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
I don’t understand the justification behind not helping the customer in situations like this. The costs are minimal to fix this, especially when people notify social media when things go bad and good.

There may be a misunderstanding, because yes, this will get around. CGC members read these boards and report back over there... then suddenly its on IG, etc. Seems to be a very affordable fix for them, to appease a customer and save some face. Whether they think is their fault or not.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
It’s CBCS’s fault the book took enough of a shock to get damaged? As well packed as they are the book can and will shift with enough force without the case being damaged.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Quote:

There may be a misunderstanding, because yes, this will get around. CGC members read these boards and report back over there... then suddenly it’s on IG, etc. Seems to be a very affordable fix for them, to appease a customer and save some face. Whether they think is their fault or not.
OP said they refused to reslab as a 9.0. Not that they refused to help. They also offered reimbursement of the current grade value.

It’s sucks, but the OP has not been left in the lurch.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
It’s CBCS’s fault the book took enough of a shock to get damaged?

What kind of shipping would cause inside pieces of plastic to break and become loose without damaging the outside, according to him?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There may be a misunderstanding, because yes, this will get around. CGC members read these boards and report back over there... then suddenly it’s on IG, etc. Seems to be a very affordable fix for them, to appease a customer and save some face. Whether they think is their fault or not.
OP said they refused to reslab as a 9.0. Not that they refused to help. They also offered reimbursement of the current grade value.

It’s sucks, but the OP has not been left in the lurch.

I guess I read this differently...

"They have since stopped responding and STILL have my book"
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
It’s CBCS’s fault the book took enough of a shock to get damaged?

What kind of shipping would cause inside pieces of plastic to break and become loose without damaging the outside, according to him?

I’m not sure; I wasn’t there. Smart-assery aside; there are clear indications of impact damage at points of the inner well breaks and where it would have impacted hard edges after splitting open. Which are very good evidence for shipping insurance claims.

Post 23 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Directly responding to one aspect - the package not being damaged so it couldn't be the shipper....

Well - it can and does happen that way. I've not had this issue with CBCS - but I've had multiple shipments from CGC where slabs were cracked - a few times busted up really good - and the shipping box looked just fine. No damage showing. And I've received boxes that were beat all to hell - and the encapsulated books inside were fine.

So somehow - some physical motion phenomena - slabs get damaged in boxes that show no damage.

IF - and I mean IF - the OP purchased the optional return shipping insurance from CBCS, then CBCS needs to write a check for the value of the book in 9.0 - up to a maximum of the declared value of the book when submitted.

The OP has not said if insurance was purchased. It's optional but when submitted you are nagged and warned to select the insurance because without it there is no insurance coverage by CBCS. You cannot miss this during submission. Nor do we know what the declared value was when submitted

If the conditions mentioned above are met (insurance purchased, declared value at or more than the books FMV) then CBCS should be writing a check for the FMV of book in 9.0.

EDIT
I should also mention how insurance works. Think of your car damaged. If a check is written for the value of a 9.0 - then the (damaged) book belongs to CBCS. Otherwise the insurance settlement is actually for the value that was lost by damage. If the OP wants to keep the book he's owed the difference in value. You don't get all the value and get to keep the book. Just like if they total your car it's not your car anymore.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
sorry to hear!
Post 25 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickjones2549
Sent in two books to be verified and slabbed. They were returned, and one of the books (graded a 9.0) has a piece of plastic inside the slab and the bottom of the plastic in the slab is torn

So the books were returned...

Quote:
They have since stopped responding and STILL have my book, essentially stealing something that I sent in.

So the books weren't returned?!?!

Quote:
They also refused to give me a reimbursement, saying that they could only give me what a 7.5 was worth

So they didn't refuse to give you reimbursement?!?!

I'm sleep deprived and my brain may not be functioning properly, but this is the most confusing post ever.
Post 26 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Customer service brought this book to me today. I am the one who removed it from the case. The book had broken through the inner well, which is caused by the package taking a very hard impact on one side. Sometimes there is no visible damage to the package because the impact was squarely on a flat side of the box. (An object in motion wants to remain in motion.)

I did what I could to repair the book but there was color breaking damage on the edge that couldn't be completely fixed.

I took the book to the grading room to get a new (post-damage) grade, then returned it to CS with my assessment.

I don't know what was communicated to the customer, nor if the situation was resolved through them yet. I'll follow up with CS in the morning and get a status update, and we'll go from there.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts thanks Steve
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Customer service brought this book to me today. I am the one who removed it from the case. The book had broken through the inner well, which is caused by the package taking a very hard impact on one side. Sometimes there is no visible damage to the package because the impact was squarely on a flat side of the box. (An object in motion wants to remain in motion.)

I did what I could to repair the book but there was color breaking damage on the edge that couldn't be completely fixed.

I took the book to the grading room to get a new (post-damage) grade, then returned it to CS with my assessment.

I don't know what was communicated to the customer, nor if the situation was resolved through them yet. I'll follow up with CS in the morning and get a status update, and we'll go from there.

Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:
Sent in two books to be verified and slabbed. They were returned, and one of the books (graded a 9.0) has a piece of plastic inside the slab and the bottom of the plastic in the slab is torn

So the books were returned...

Quote:
They have since stopped responding and STILL have my book, essentially stealing something that I sent in.

So the books weren't returned?!?!

Quote:
They also refused to give me a reimbursement, saying that they could only give me what a 7.5 was worth

So they didn't refuse to give you reimbursement?!?!

I'm sleep deprived and my brain may not be functioning properly, but this is the most confusing post ever.

He received the book the first time after verification but with broken plastic inside. He sent it back and that's where it is now.
As for reimbursement, he's saying they'll only reimburse him for the 7.5 grade, not the original signed 9.0 he sent in. But then they stopped responding altogether.

I get the reimbursement issue, although for that book I think it's worth throwing in the extra $50 difference between a 7.5 and 9.0 in good faith just to appease him. Since it's signed, ruined, and he's not going to be quiet about it.

I can see that their inner well wasn't strong enough to hold the book but the part I'm stuck on is how there is damage to the inside of the slab but not the outside, according to the OP.
Post 30 IP   flag post
615415 78 30