Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and ConservationQuestions

Whats this?? (Batman #404)20743

Collector TheShocker private msg quote post Address this user
Just we t back home and went through my short boxes and foind my Batman #404. Upon closer inspection i can see discoleration on the cover. Not sure what this is or if it was already there when i got it (10 year's ago)

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector DoorCntyComicColl private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like it may be foxing...
Post 2 IP   flag post
@DoorCntyComicColl gotcha, what are you looking at that makes it foxing? Just trying to learn.
Post 3 IP   flag post
CBCS Finalizer Wade_Story private msg quote post Address this user
@TheShocker Are you talking about the small brownish spots?
Post 4 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Foxing is an age-related process of deterioration that causes spots and browning on old paper documents such as books, postage stamps, old paper money and certificates. The name may derive from the fox-like reddish-brown color of the stains, or the rust chemical ferric oxide which may be involved.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector DoorCntyComicColl private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC is correct... Problem is that it's not possible to completely remove. There are methods that can diminish it and I have tried the HOP method which helped but the stains are faint but noticeable on a handful of books that are in perfect condition only to have a bit of foxing so I can kiss that 9.8 grade goodbye!

Anyone have a magic solution?
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Wade_Story basically any spots of discoloration including the dark brown spots, green spots, and yellow spots
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Yep, foxing.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShocker
@Wade_Story basically any spots of discoloration including the dark brown spots, green spots, and yellow spots
@TheShocker

Those reddish brown spots are definitely foxing. That color/pattern is typical for foxing.

As for the yellow & green- somewhat hard to say. The yellow spots look way more like some sort of moisture may have been trapped inside where the comic was stored, and ate away/discolored that ink. It could also be from acid degradation of the ink as well. Storage over a long period of time without rotating a backing board, bag, or micro chamber paper can lead to this sort of damage. The green is particularly interesting. I actually thought that was just lighting from the photo at first.

If the yellow/green were already there when you purchased, it is definitely more possible it could be from some light moisture that stained the paper and discolored the ink. (My opinion)
Post 9 IP   flag post
Okay I'll be swapping backboard and bag on it. Is it safe to store with other non foxing books?
Post 10 IP   flag post
As long as the books are individually bagged and boarded, what one book has should not affect another. The larger concern may be environmental. If the environment the book is stored in is what has caused the damage (foxing, moisture stains, etc.) then you may need to move ALL the books to a better environment to prevent the damage to them.

Foxing itself actually occurs over time to paper somewhat naturally. The environment can quicken the process, but you actually have to fight foxing to keep it away as long as possible. Swapping storage materials out occasionally, making sure the environment is not too hot, cold, dry, or moist are all things that can help. Basically as neutral as possible.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thank you, I recently moved out of state but could not take my whole collection. The unit is suppose to be temp controlled but when I was there it was hotter than normal. I will do my best to.move everything over and swap bag n boards asap. Thanks to everyone for their input on this.
Post 12 IP   flag post
611409 12 12