Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
QuestionsSignatures

Autograph value20730

My Chihuahua is watching me in case I do something cool. ICConquest private msg quote post Address this user
I could be wrong, but mentally I expect to pay $80 - $100 more for a comic signed by Stan Lee. A little less for Neal Adams, John Romita, Roy Thomas, Gerry Conway, etc. Does anyone know what I should expect to pay for a comic signed by Jack Kirby or even Steve Ditko? Although they both seem hard to find, especially Ditko. Just curious in case I ever come across one of those two.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I've been an autograph collector for 40+ years.
I've come across... maybe... maybe.... 2 or 3 signed Ditko comics during those 40 years

He simply would not sign anything; except in his early years, and I know someone who literally went to his apt in Manhattan and he still would not do it.

There are fakes out there.
I think someone on this forum had a couple a few years back; but unsure if they were legit.
Suffice to say that finding his autograph and some type of autograph verification of his signature is a challenge amongst challenges.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
My opinion:

Ditko would be slightly more than Kirby purely based on scarcity.

Kirby more than Stan Lee....while Kirby signatures are not scarce, they are less common than Neal Adams, John Romita, Roy Thomas and of course Stan Lee.

Actual dollars: hard to say.

Ditko: $500+ maybe
Kirby: $500
Post 3 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICConquest
I could be wrong, but mentally I expect to pay $80 - $100 more for a comic signed by Stan Lee. A little less for Neal Adams, John Romita, Roy Thomas, Gerry Conway, etc. Does anyone know what I should expect to pay for a comic signed by Jack Kirby or even Steve Ditko? Although they both seem hard to find, especially Ditko. Just curious in case I ever come across one of those two.

Supply, demand, risk.

Supply and demand are pretty clear… though I wouldn’t treat a signature in isolation for calculating premium. The match between sig and book will have an impact too.

Kirby will have very low supply (relatively) and very high demand. But risk (or certainty) on authenticity will be lower.

Personally, I’d place an authenticated Kirby signature (authenticated by a reputable service) well above a Stan Lee signature. Premium goes up if authenticated several times or if the provenance is known.

I’m not the market, however… but I think the market hierarchy puts Kirby high…
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
The short answer regarding the value that a signature adds to a conic book is that its complicated.

If the person who signed the book is no longer willing or able to sign the book then the supply of books signed by that person can only decrease as more books are damaged or lost in the future.

Otherwise, in addition to the price the person would charge there are other costs such as admission, mileage, parking, tolls, and lodging to get to the event. Time and effort to get the signature should also be factored in.

A witnessed or verified book that has already been graded also gives the owner the certainly of getting an unrestored copy of the book with the desired grade and page quality.

Keep in mind that taking a high grade raw book to a convention and trusting a celebrity or comic creator to sign a book without any damage to the book before it can get graded is not a sure thing.

Whether the book is for sale at auction or fixed price it only takes one person who wants it more to increase the price.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Nickrob1234 private msg quote post Address this user
How much value does a sketch or remark actually add to a graded comic? I know it has to correlate with the grade. I just got 7 with all different grades.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector smeninc private msg quote post Address this user

How much is this worth to people is anyone's guess. I got it signed by Jim Stalin in person. George Perez (RIP), Robert Downey Jr. and Elizabeth Olsen was submitted to CGC. I was thinking of submitting it for Jeremy Renner, since Hawkeye is a character in this book or Paul Rudd. Or not submit it at all and not risk getting a lower grade. I feel like Thanos at this point but collecting signature instead of Infinity Stones.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I have some older signatures verified, but looking at EBay over the years there have been some obvious fakes, plus I had a Kirby I am fairly sure was signed by his wife.
A little aside, I had a friend who owned a resort in Hawaii years ago who tells me this story. Salvadore Dali was staying there. He was signing a stack of blank canvases so he says hi, welcome, what are you doing? “Signing these for $50 per signature” Dali and Picasso’s are the most faked artists in the world, some with original signatures apparently.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector radd76 private msg quote post Address this user
I have this one verified

Post 9 IP   flag post
And I have this one…

Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott

LOA’s from both JSA and PSA

Post 10 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
It's a tough one.....
Kirby is for sure on the want list and if it was the right book etc. etc. and what my budget was I could pay multiples of what I would for other signatures.

I've been lucky enough to get most of the creators I wanted signatures etc. from who were still with us when I started going to conventions (late 90's early 2000s)

A few I missed out on but was able to get later - still kicking myself for missing out on a Jerry Robinson sketch....I will get one, one day, and it will cost 10x or more than the $50 (that I did not have) way back when - but I did get print and S/N hardcover later for original purchase price

I will say this though - some signatures may not decrease a value of a book but may cause some potential customers to not look at a book.

Not to pick on you or your beautiful book @smeninc but I'll use it as an example.
For me personally - I don't want signatures from actors on comics - unless say its a comic based on a show rather than a show that was based on a comic i.e. Shatner on a Star Trek book or maybe photo covers are for some reason ok in my twisted mind.
Comic collectors are weird - to each their own, as long as it brings you joy there is no wrong choice!

p.s. -I also don't understand explicit covers....but good girl covers are a yes for me..but even then more Gold and Silver than modern (i.e. Campbell or what's his nuts marvel covers)
Artgerm! - remembered the name...I mean..yeah..they are nice...but I'll take a Gold/Silver good girl first please
Post 11 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICConquest

It’s a shame that Ditko didn’t embrace autographs.

Here’s a great article about Ditko that’s about 12 years old that gives you a look into his personality, which might explain why he didnt sign.

https://nypost.com/2012/07/03/the-secret-hero-of-spider-man/
Post 12 IP   flag post
@multi007 Ditko passed away in 2018 dude
Post 13 IP   flag post
@multi007

Post 14 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by radd76
@multi007 Ditko passed away in 2018 dude

oops..
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickrob1234
How much value does a sketch or remark actually add to a graded comic? I know it has to correlate with the grade. I just got 7 with all different grades.

Honestly remarks and sketches are basically regarded buy most collectors--and I'm one of them--as part of the autograph. In short it doesn't mean anything more to me than the autograph. But that's just me.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesidio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickrob1234

Honestly remarks and sketches are basically regarded buy most collectors--and I'm one of them--as part of the autograph. In short it doesn't mean anything more to me than the autograph. But that's just me.

A sketch is an original work of art and should be regarded as such.

It is something distinct and beyond just the signature.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
I have seen very few remarques that really added appeal to a signature. Either they don't stand out well against the cover art, are unrelated to the book they are on, or they are too rushed to really be representative of the artist's professional style. Occasionally I see one that is amazing, but for the most part they are "meh" at best. I would never pay an extra fee for a remarque.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
The foulest of the fouls is when an artist (Rubinstein & Milgrom are primary on this) whites out an area of the cover art and then does a remarque.

I realize the beauty in the eye of the beholder, but wtf.
It is utter and pure destruction of the cover, beyond graffitti, and is abysmal
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
The foulest of the fouls is when an artist (Rubinstein & Milgrom are primary on this) whites out an area of the cover art and then does a remarque.

I realize the beauty in the eye of the beholder, but wtf.
It is utter and pure destruction of the cover, beyond graffitti, and is abysmal

Rubenstein did this to one of mine at ft lauderdale con before I even realized it. Luckily he did it in the bar code box but still, i wasnt happy about it.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
Rubenstein did this to one of mine at ft lauderdale con before I even realized it. Luckily he did it in the bar code box but still, i wasnt happy about it.

Baltimore Comic-Con many years ago, Garth Ennis is guest of honor.
Plopped down my Preacher 1 (when it was a substantial amount of money); I get distracted for a second. Then he's chatting away with me and asks me my name. I'm distracted again.
I see "To Bill[i]" in GIANT, Monstrous size lettering scrawled across the cover.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Teached me a lesson to not pay attention for even a split second with these guys. They just take the book and go to work on it like Speedy Gonzalez
Post 21 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007

Baltimore Comic-Con many years ago, Garth Ennis is guest of honor.
Plopped down my Preacher 1 (when it was a substantial amount of money); I get distracted for a second. Then he's chatting away with me and asks me my name. I'm distracted again.
I see "To Bill[i]" in GIANT, Monstrous size lettering scrawled across the cover.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Teached me a lesson to not pay attention for even a split second with these guys. They just take the book and go to work on it like Speedy Gonzalez

Steranko did something similar to me once. I didn't even care, since it's a PC book I will never sell.

Post 22 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Don Rosa did the same thing, but I was okay with it. Like you, I don't have any plans to sell it. That said, and evidenced by your post, the world is full of Jims and Jameses.

Post 23 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
I requested this one, it’s been the one and only time……

Post 24 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
I'm surprised that Rosa did not put "Do Not Slab" on the comic.
He did it with mine and I'm still itchin' to send it in just as a "I will do what I want"

Post 25 IP   flag post
He bought some books from a booth I was working. The sketch was part of the deal.

He's the human equivalent of Scrooge McDuck and the poster child for a grumpy old man. That said, the grouchy bastard is a talented artist.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Not only is he the living embodiment of Scrooge McDuck.
But he also changes his "rules" every darn time I see him. And for me, that's the bigger issue

"I won't do this". "I will do that", "No I don't think so with this".
Then next year the No's becomes Yes's and the Yes's become "No's".

I can deal with the curmudgeon attitude. But I can't deal with the changing of his rules on what he will and won't do every single darn year.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'm surprised that Rosa did not put "Do Not Slab" on the comic.
He did it with mine and I'm still itchin' to send it in just as a "I will do what I want"

If it were mine and I wanted it slabbed, I would find a colorist or another artist to color or ammend the sketch getting rid of the Not to be Slabbed.

It would be like a tattoo artist fixing a botched tattoo.

He's scared shitless that someone might make a dime off his back. It's cost him money in the long run.

Where does he think he would be without Carl Barks leading the way?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Artists are, well, a different breed..

Personalization of a comic? Really? That’s just insane.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I don't have a problem with personalized autographs.

However, if I am paying for the autograph, then I think I should have some input on what it says.

And that Not to be Slabbed business if for the birds.
Post 30 IP   flag post
616096 31 30