Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I almost wish the terminology is changed from the euphemistic "Re-holder" to "Re-grade CBCS graded".
Y'know - kinda state what you actually do to the book and not mislead your customer base.
Post 26 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
They're not automatically regraded.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
I think I'm in the Twilight Zone.
They're graded.
They're not regraded.
They're regraded only if damage
They're checked
They're not checked
They're re-graded only if tampered
They're assessed.
They're reviewed
They're examined
They're inspected

Does anyone have the effin policy?? For chrissakes it's like pulling teeth. And then you ask and you get a stupid ass response like "it's alway been this way"

What is the effin policy in clear and concise terms? What are the triggers? Is it only damage or tampering? Specifics specifics specifics. I'm tired of weasel words embedded in corporate policies
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
It could be really simple. I think they should just do away with the term reholder. Have it be that if you send your book back in, it gets regraded. And if you send the book in it's old case, there should be a discount on the grading.
Post 29 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
The policy should be:
* cases and books inspected for evidence of tampering
* cases and books inspected for indications of post-encapsulation damage
* in cases of tampering potential / evidence, full re-grade and re-authentication and additional follow-up as needed
* In cases where post-encapsulation damage clearly evident based on review, book regraded.

There should be no general re-grading as matter of policy - in other words, 9.8 or 9.9 or 9.6 to one grade lower shouldn’t happen except in the rarest od cases. If there was a wayward grader or some process lapse, books with those certs should be “recalled” for regrading with some payment to owners to reflect the difference in FMV between correct vs incorrect grade. If grades increase (if issue was symmetrical) of course no payment owed.

The unusual fact pattern in the recent “event” was admittance of “incorrectly“ graded books. Suggests something beyond subjective variance… if they know of the grader, they should know of all books potentially affected. Recall suggestion above is because of the reputation harm of this admittance (if true).

Damage issues should be quite clear. The types of damage most encapsulated books are subject to are limited in nature. At least when the case itself is not damaged. It will be impact related. It would also be rare for the damage to drop a high-grade book only one grade increment.

Finally, a 10.0 or 9.9 book is inherently subject to damage. Handling for grading itself could cause it. Handling to re-holder could also do so. Not sure if any policy will logically address the 10.0 or 9.9 conundrum. Is it a 10.0 if by opening the case and inner well there is a high probability it won’t retain that grade? Personally, I’d suggest the same policy as above. Buyers of those books should just bear (and realize) the risk…

A part of the market I couldn’t care less about… but the implications of a stupid policy on the rest of the market driven by that exception… stupid indeed.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Splotches is gettin old!
@Davethebrave Thank you. This all makes sense. And it would be wonderful if CBCS could confirm what is stated and change the "should be" policy to "is the policy".

Either way, a well thought out answer is always appreciated over 1 sentence with implications of "I should already know exactly what it is"
Post 31 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I think I'm in the Twilight Zone.
They're graded.
They're not regraded.
They're regraded only if damage
They're checked
They're not checked
They're re-graded only if tampered
They're assessed.
They're reviewed
They're examined
They're inspected

Does anyone have the effin policy?? For chrissakes it's like pulling teeth. And then you ask and you get a stupid ass response like "it's alway been this way"

What is the effin policy in clear and concise terms? What are the triggers? Is it only damage or tampering? Specifics specifics specifics. I'm tired of weasel words embedded in corporate policies
maybe @Wade_Story has the answers
Post 32 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Reholdered......regraded.

Post 33 IP   flag post
1.) COAs do not mean anything.

2.) Always press.

3.) Uh-oh. That would cause me to pause on sending in anything for a straight reholder.
Post 34 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
1.) COAs do not mean anything.

2.) Always press.

3.) Uh-oh. That would cause me to pause on sending in anything for a straight reholder.

Right on all 3....I just posted the video to show evidence that yes, reholdering, can result in a re-grading of a book.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Well .... I guess that's the definitive end of that unknown.

Now that I know definitively, I can send in my books I feel are undergraded for a paltry $15 "reholder" that includes grading, instead of having them cracked out and graded for $40.

They both achieve the same end result of a newly graded comic; so why pay $40 for vintage when you can pay $15?
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Well .... I guess that's the definitive end of that unknown.

Now that I know definitively, I can send in my books I feel are undergraded for a paltry $15 "reholder" that includes grading, instead of having them cracked out and graded for $40.

They both achieve the same end result of a newly graded comic; so why pay $40 for vintage when you can pay $15?

I suspect the re-grade only goes one way...down....I've never heard of a single example where it went up.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I suspect the re-grade only goes one way...down....I've never heard of a single example where it went up.

Ugh! keep your eyes open bud. If you see any example of going up, I have a few "re-holders" to send it that I don't agree with the grade.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
I really wish, for transparency, they'd publish their policy(ies).

It burns my ass to have to learn of this nonsense through others experiences and youtube videos.

I personally find that lack of information of this policy is purposely oblique and downright unacceptable.

Grade can go down but not up during reholdering is important and needs some blurb somewhere. Unacceptable

But that's what these two companies do best - not grading, but angering and frustrating hobbyists

If it's not one company, it's the other. I'm sick of it
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:

Grade can go down but not up during reholdering is important and needs some blurb somewhere. Unacceptable

I didn't say or mean that it can never go up, just that I've never seen or heard of a grade going up on a reholder.

That being said...it sort of makes sense that if there ever was movement on a grade from a reholder, it's far more likely the grade would drop as opposed to rise. For the grade to rise, that implies the grade wasn't accurate to begin with. To come to that conclusion on a reholder request, something about the book would need to trigger a full re-grade of the book...that is way more likely to happen, and way easier to notice, on a book where the grade appears higher and does not match the book.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Yep - Understood.
I just wish these companies would start doing something "positive" for hobbyists.
An informed hobbyist is a happy hobbyist
It's been a damn long time.
A series of negative news dating back to covid has been the norm and it needs to start changing.
There's been a few good things, but nothing in comparison to the complaints that are now manifesting themselves every 2 months on average.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
This is all I need to be a further informed hobbyist where my money is involved.

Post 42 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I noticed something crazy and possibly inaccurate. If I use my own Fedex account, the shipping drops from $25 to $7 from CBCS to Los Angeles for one comic. I'll up the comic count and see how it affects the shipping rates.

For 26 books it drops from $80 to $28:

There's no insurance but no need since I have my own collector's policy. Maybe I'll send something in (obviously no reholders), since the main hurdle was the outrageous shipping charges.
Post 43 IP   flag post
I've always used my own fedex account. I think I even suggested to lawguy to do the same and it saved him big bucks.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
How do you get a FedEx account and how much does it cost?
Post 45 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
It's free. Sign up on the FedEx website. Say you ship more than you actually do if they ask.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
cool
Post 47 IP   flag post
618083 47 22