Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkComics Modern AgeQuestions

Help Identifying Mystery Page of Art20703

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Won this page of original art from the St Jude's charity auction at New York Comic Con back in 2012.

It has a sheet in the back identifying the piece as Lot # 63.

The signature in the bottom left corner is Dexter Vines who most likely inked the page.

Aside from the Sam Jackson version of Nick Fury I am not sure who the other characters are.

As Samuel Jackson didn't show up in the MCU until the first Iron Man movie in 2008 and I purchased the page in October of 2012 the comic book was published in that window.

Any help identifying the title and possibly the issue number of the book this page came from would be greatly appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Herr is the page:

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector sborock_ComicLink private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos Picture?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector soonerjudd81 private msg quote post Address this user
I’d say the timeline might be a bit earlier than you’re expecting - the Nick Fury in the early 200’s Ultimate Marvel line was actually inspired by Jackson, leading to Jackson being cast for the movies. Looks like Dexter Vines inked a few issues of Ultimate Avengers, so might be one of those.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerjudd81
I’d say the timeline might be a bit earlier than you’re expecting - the Nick Fury in the early 200’s Ultimate Marvel line was actually inspired by Jackson, leading to Jackson being cast for the movies. Looks like Dexter Vines inked a few issues of Ultimate Avengers, so might be one of those.

Thanks!

Memory is fuzzy about what the auctioneer told us 12 years ago but Ultimate Avengers sounds like a pretty good guess to me.

If anyone else has input maybe we can get closer.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector soonerjudd81 private msg quote post Address this user
BTW - that’s a great piece, congrats!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
BTW - that’s a great piece, congrats!

Thanks, I appreciate it.

This was one of my first experiences buying original art.

I bid higher on some pieces that went at least twice my highest bid but managed to win three pieces similar to this one.

The fellow next to me who was more aggressive won the Walt Simonson, Beta Ray Bill sketch for two grand.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector TheShocker private msg quote post Address this user
If I had to guess it would he in Ultimate Agengers (2009) series #2-6. I don't have those so I can't verify but that's my best guess.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
From Ultimate Avengers #4

Post 9 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

the story behind that was marvel used his likeness without permission (they wanted him because they wanted Ultimate Fury look like the most BA man...and who is that in real life). he had no idea till he saw a copy of an Ultimate comic with Fury on it and was like "did I give them permission and forget?" he wasnt even sure. so he called.

they apologized and promised if he didn't sue and let them continue....if they ever did a movie with Nick Fury they'd cast him. Jackson happily accepted.

when it came time, he didn't call them to remind them of the promise....they called him basically saying "hey remember that promise we made you"

learned this from Jackson's autobiography
Post 10 IP   flag post
@robertofredrico

Awesome, thanks for the detective work.

Do you know which page it is?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@robertofredrico

Awesome, thanks for the detective work.

Do you know which page it is?

It's story page 17 (out of 22).
Post 12 IP   flag post
I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
Now that you have BOTH the original art and a color image of the page, might I suggest you do what I do?

Post 13 IP   flag post
602981 13 13