Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Certified Comics For SaleComics Bronze AgeMovies TelevisionPop Culture

Silver Surfer #120688

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Some interesting facts which make SS1 V2 special (I know, it has been mentioned before, but in light of recent MCU announcements, it is worth noting)

1) This marked the first time that Stan Lee released complete control of a Silver Surfer, as John Byrne was allowed to Plot and co-write this comic. Yes, he did allow others to add Silver Surfer as a guest in some other titles outside of the original Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer Vol 1, but the main Silver Surfer stories and arc were Stan Lee.

2) A panel from this comic was used as the original album cover for Joe Satriani's 1987 Surfing With the Alien (see my avatar). Marvel would later pay homage back in first referring to the planet "Satriani" in Silver Surfer 13 Volume 3. Joe Satriani would, in turn, later title compositions "Back to Shalla-Bal" and "The Power Cosmic 2000". Unfortunately, in 2019, Satriani was force to change the Surfing with the Alien album cover as Marvel overpriced the re-licensing fee.

3) It is in this comic that Shalla-Bal is first endowed with the Power Cosmic, by the Silver Surfer, which she uses to revitalize their decimated home planet. Might this be the basis of the her purported entrance into the upcoming Fantastic Four?

4) Is this not one of the best covers ever?

Post 1 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
It's a goodie for sure!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector DoorCntyComicColl private msg quote post Address this user
Got this back from CBCS a few months ago and is still one of my favorite Byrne covers... Got it signed by him back in '82 at a Chicago Con. Only wish I handled the book with more care, hence the 8.5 grade!

I had a few books signed by him at that same Con but on the inside first page. Most collectors back then including the artists/writers didn't want to deface the covers. But I thought signing the board was too cool!

Post 3 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Way back when AOL was still a PC application ( anyone remember "You've got mail!" ) John Byrne was a regular contributor on one of the comic related threads, and you could actually converse with him on the platform if you were civil and polite. I was so dumbfounded by this that I actually contacted him in a private message to ask if he'd autograph some books for me. To my total surprise and delight he agreed on the condition that I pay all of the postage.

Without hesitation I packed up a few books, included a SASE for the return, and sent them off hoping not to be disappointed. A month or so later the books came back as promised. I've otherwise never met the man, nor seen him at any cons, but these remain firmly entrenched in a high place in my collection.

Post 4 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@figment That dial up noise was horrible. Once you've heard it, you can't forget it.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
@figment That dial up noise was horrible. Once you've heard it, you can't forget it.

You got that right!
Post 6 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I loved it. It was the sound the Gateway to Excitement made.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
I've met Byrne several times.
He's probably a great guy, but let's just say my experience all 4 times was quite a bit salty
Post 8 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Didn't know Satriani had to abandon the artwork...I still have a cassette somewhere with it though!
Post 9 IP   flag post
He never charged for signing books (how times have changed, but they earned it!!!) .. He did charge people $20 for any character he would pencil on one of those 10 x 12 sketch pads (I'm not an artist so I am not sure what you would call it...). This was in the midst of his Fantastic Four run in the early 80s and he drew me a sketch of Frankie Raye as Nova right after she appeared in FF in 1982. I did put up for auction at Heritage late last year after being in storage for over 40 years. I figure let someone else enjoy it...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/illustrations/john-byrne-nova-frankie-raye-illustration-original-art-1982-/a/322339-49036.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515
Post 10 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
Way back when AOL was still a PC application ( anyone remember "You've got mail!" ) John Byrne was a regular contributor on one of the comic related threads, and you could actually converse with him on the platform if you were civil and polite. I was so dumbfounded by this that I actually contacted him in a private message to ask if he'd autograph some books for me. To my total surprise and delight he agreed on the condition that I pay all of the postage.

Without hesitation I packed up a few books, included a SASE for the return, and sent them off hoping not to be disappointed. A month or so later the books came back as promised. I've otherwise never met the man, nor seen him at any cons, but these remain firmly entrenched in a high place in my collection.

WHAT???? You had to pay for the postage!!!! Unbelievable. How could you agree to that???

Congrats! He and Michael Golden remain two of my favorite comic talents.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Didn't know Satriani had to abandon the artwork...I still have a cassette somewhere with it though!

New cover 2019 to current sans Mr. Radd
Post 12 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
I remember when 9.8's were $50 and couldn't sell. Ahh, the good ol days
Post 13 IP   flag post
The good old days where when I was paying $0.60 a book!!!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector sborock_ComicLink private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorCntyComicColl

Maybe. I was paying 12-15 cents a comic..... I'm old! 😥

Anyway, loved that SS 1 issue!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I think some Star comics were 60 cents when I started collecting, but I think 75 cents was the standard price point across the board.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock_ComicLink
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorCntyComicColl

Maybe. I was paying 12-15 cents a comic..... I'm old! 😥

Anyway, loved that SS 1 issue!

Yeah, you are old, but hippies just Keep truckin' on....
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector KYDU private msg quote post Address this user

Post 18 IP   flag post
@KYDU - Oohhh, that is Amazi..no, Spectacu…no, Supe.. no, it’s Fantast.. no, that is RADD!!!! Would love to have that. Congrats!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector KYDU private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
@KYDU - Oohhh, that is Amazi..no, Spectacu…no, Supe.. no, it’s Fantast.. no, that is RADD!!!! Would love to have that. Congrats!

@Scifinator It doesn't belong to me, I don't think it exists. It's the original pencils before Mr. Palmers heavy inking. Just in case some of you haven't seen it.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@KYDU - Thanks for sharing. I had not seen it, and would still love to have it if it ever did pop up.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Travis private msg quote post Address this user
I bought a copy of silver surfer 1 because of this post actually
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
I bought a copy of silver surfer 1 because of this post actually

@Travis - Welcome to the club. It was and remains one of my favorite covers and comics. The story gave enough origin and new storyline to be both relevant and enjoyable.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Not that I'm trying to hijack the thread, but...

SILVER SURFER #1 CGC 9.4

Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Travis private msg quote post Address this user

https://youtu.be/ohCesWMDGDk?si=0_JINxuJvNu4nLwa I finally had a little time to give silver surfer a read through and I will tell you all that it’s true it’s a wonderful comic it’s the type of comic as a comic book collector if you can only have one short box this silver surfer deserves a spot in that short box. it’s that good silver surfer 1 has some emotions to it. it’s also a complete story and it’s well done with beautiful art to look at. It’s a home run. I am glad I saw this post and purchased the comic. Hope my review on YouTube convinces others one day on how good it is. I probably didn’t do it the justice it deserves Iam just a guy with a cell phone. And At the price that one can afford as well silver surfer 1 comic it’s worthy of its place in my short box. Can’t praise it enough only regret is it took me so long to discover the comic I wasn’t even looking at this comic it wasn’t even on my radar as to something I would of wanted to pick up and I am glad I did.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Did anyone see this?
I sent the seller a message while it was listed with an "lol..." and some LMAO emoji's.
He immediately ended the listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/296440858559?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11050.m43.l1123&mkcid=26&ch=osgood&euid=7cddc79456f24e5ba35e3f2603a77fba&bu=43139005592&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20240524162929&segname=11050
Post 26 IP   flag post
Not a bad price for a reprint but not as fun as this one though we should think about starting a new thread of crazy stuff for sale

clickable text
Post 27 IP   flag post
@DoorCntyComicColl They ate the wrong mushrooms...
Post 28 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
@Nearmint67 Thanks for this.

I blocked that seller now.
I don't need sh&t like this in my collecting life.
He thinks it's funny; I don't.
Yea this one is easy to spot, clearly.
But my worry is the comic that he plays games with that even a veteran in the hobby can get fooled with on some aspect he chooses not to disclose.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 Anyone listing reprints for that kind of cash is tripping on bad shrooms.
Only thing worse would be the one on bad shrooms that actually buys it...
Post 30 IP   flag post
615415 39 30