Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Golden AgeComics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help Needed

CBCS boss please look at this.20683

I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
I was watching this channel tonight and seen this video and thought what a great opportunity for CBCS. If CBCS would offer to regrade his book for free and have such a rare book in a CBCS case could be a win for all. Since he had such a bad experience with CGC.

Just a thought. What do you think?

https://youtu.be/c9ur3Qli1Sg?si=TiPP9A0tlAm1KaDK
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I watched this and it's waaaaay too long. He could have cut 15 minutes and still got his point across.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector BrashLimburg private msg quote post Address this user
How about they start with compensating the guy who got screwed on the Spider-Man 2099 and then worry about correcting another company’s mistakes.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
@BrashLimburg I never seen any real proof just hearsay when it comes to that. Where is the owner of the book at showing proof of all the claims? Still not totally believing it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrashLimburg
How about they start with compensating the guy who got screwed on the Spider-Man 2099 and then worry about correcting another company’s mistakes.

I really don't have much sympathy for that person, or anyone who actually believes that grading is purely an exact science. I also don't have much sympathy for grade chasers or people who buy the grade, not the book.

In the past 15 years we've cracked and regraded roughly 30 books from both companies. About half come back the same grade while the other half come back different. Of the ones that come back different, more than half come back with a lower grade and the rest come back a higher grade. It is what it is and if anyone thinks that books can't be damaged (even slightly) in their holders then they're only deluding themselves.

During that same period we've also submitted about 20 books for reholders, again from both companies. They've all come back exactly the same.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
@Zombie_Head Did you watch his other video about Megacon. He attended a CGC panel where they discuss grading. He said they told him they spend an average of 10 seconds grading a book. He also said the grader said he once did an Action #1 in three minutes. That's insane!

@Rafel Yes he is extremely long winded. The other video is just as long.

Overall interesting take on CGC and their lack of concern for their customer. We've all speculated the bottom line is all they care about and his experience shows that.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Belarak I agree and yes I watched it last night. It’s crazy some of the things he says about CGC practices. That’s what I kinda figured and that’s why I don’t use them.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
50% accuracy - that's roughly about what I've seen with other test cases over the years with crack and re-slab.
50% is a number to be proud of. 50% the same & 50% different. Bravo.

And one wonders why I call this whole thing one big giant scam that the hobby has fallen for hook, line, and stinker; thinking we need that kind of accuracy. Flipping a coin gets the same results. But oh yea... the weasel words "but it's all subjective". Makes me feel so much better now.

Just what I need in my life - 50% accuracy and the added benefit of constant frustration from their behaviors/actions/policies.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
50% accuracy - that's roughly about what I've seen with other test cases over the years with crack and re-slab.
50% is a number to be proud of. 50% the same & 50% different. Bravo.

And one wonders why I call this whole thing one big giant scam that the hobby has fallen for hook, line, and stinker; thinking we need that kind of accuracy. Flipping a coin gets the same results. But oh yea... the weasel words "but it's all subjective". Makes me feel so much better now.

Just what I need in my life - 50% accuracy and the added benefit of constant frustration from their behaviors/actions/policies.

To be honest, even if the grade is off (subjective), I am glad to have a 3rd party grade them with some guidelines. Rather than a dealer and I have a monster disagreement about book grade. The other reason why I am down with 3rd party grading is, I like the protection that slabbing offers my better books.

My personal two cents.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
To be honest, even if the grade is off (subjective), I am glad to have a 3rd party grade them with some guidelines. Rather than a dealer and I have a monster disagreement about book grade. The other reason why I am down with 3rd party grading is, I like the protection that slabbing offers my better books.

I hear ya. And I get it. And long ago when these companies behaved like companies, I get it even more.
But with what I've seen from these 2 companies (particularly the 1 in Sarasota), I don't need this kind of competence COMBINED with their recent behaviors ands situations. It's like take any topic,... any topic... and they'll screw up that wet dream.

I can do that on my own and pay a whole lot less for doing so. When the money was good coming from buyers who bought into this stuff, I didn't care. But now with the increasing depressed value of slabs, I really need to be considering an exit strategy from something I've known all along is B.S.

Side note: that regrading of re-holders has me as fired up & irate as anything. It was the final straw
Post 10 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I really need to be considering an exit strategy from something I've known all along is B.S.

On the margins, the 3PG thing really has become a pretty stupid game. It serves a useful purpose on the whole, when utilized for what it was originally intended to do. It was intended to recognize and give a buyer confidence in the existing value. Now it's used to create value where little or no value existed before. I lose no sleep over the shenanigans or missteps. I have no outrage over a 9.9 being regraded as a 9.8. These companies aren't claiming they will one day cure cancer or land rockets on Mars. But we tend to talk about them as if we expect that level of precision and professionalism.
Post 11 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
I really need to be considering an exit strategy from something I've known all along is B.S.

On the margins, the 3PG thing really has become a pretty stupid game. It serves a useful purpose on the whole, when utilized for what it was originally intended to do. It was intended to recognize and give a buyer confidence in the existing value. Now it's used to create value where little or no value existed before. I lose no sleep over the shenanigans or missteps. I have no outrage over a 9.9 being regraded as a 9.8. These companies aren't claiming they will one day cure cancer or land rockets on Mars. But we tend to talk about them as if we expect that level of precision and professionalism.

Agreed. We are a small segment of the comic collecting universe. Most comic collectors collect raw books. A small percentage collect graded books. An even smaller percentage talk about it on a chat board.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Quote:
These companies aren't claiming they will one day cure cancer or land rockets on Mars. But we tend to talk about them as if we expect that level of precision and professionalism.

Just for one month, I'd settle for a step above the Mickey Mouse club
Post 13 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
These companies aren't claiming they will one day cure cancer or land rockets on Mars. But we tend to talk about them as if we expect that level of precision and professionalism.

Just for one month, I'd settle for a step above the Mickey Mouse club

You're in the wrong hobby.
Post 14 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS Premium?

Post 15 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 16 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros

I laughed so much with this.
You got that soooooooooooo right.... lol
Post 17 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros

I laughed so much with this.
You got that soooooooooooo right.... lol
when is cbcs going to grade Pogs
Post 18 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
when is cbcs going to grade Pogs

Hope this happens soon - if and only if they re-grade the pogs during re-holders. Why break a trend of no confidence the 1st time around for pogs if none for comics
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
The other reason why I am down with 3rd party grading is, I like the protection that slabbing offers my better books.

My personal two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment

It is what it is and if anyone thinks that books can't be damaged (even slightly) in their holders then they're only deluding themselves.

Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:

All anyone is asking is that they show a basic level of transparency and competence but instead they trip on their dicks at every opportunity. It’s truly mind-boggling.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrashLimburg
Quote:

All anyone is asking is that they show a basic level of transparency and competence but instead they trip on their dicks at every opportunity. It’s truly mind-boggling.

Spot On! Truly spot on!
Post 22 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
For people that truly hate 3PG.....what a weird place to spend your time.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
It's all about the money for me.
Love the money; dont believe in the product

Just being honest

And I have to stay on the forum for information to be a well informed seller; neither of these companies offer transparency (and do stupid stuff); so I rely on the forum members for info
Post 24 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

No kidding. Complaints love an audience. Otherwise, it's like the tree falling in the forest with no one there to hear the sound.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
A well functioning company takes into consideration complaints and sometimes acts upon them.
What a novel idea
Post 26 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
While I may not agree with everyone (or most), I generally find reading the opinions of others informative. Even if only to get the pulse of the community. Indeed, putting “pen to paper” and engaging also has value, even if the output is dismissed by many (or most).

Some may wish to limit or moderate forum engagement beyond the forum’s official guidelines. “Don’t play in my sand box!” Personally, I think that devalues the forum, particularly considering how limited engagement already is.

I’m neither a CBCS fanboy or CGC shill. Raising concerns has value - indeed tremendous potential value for CBCS management as well, particularly if they spend the time sorting the wheat from chaff.

I am guessing not a sign of times but perhaps amplified by technology, the whole “team” undercurrent here - as in politics - is unfortunate.
Post 27 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
But you realize this a forum for collectors...people who like the hobby and for the most part CBCS....your complaints would actually be better served going directly to customer service....but then there's no audience when sending directly to customer service....also, the complaints are always the same....everyone knows your complaints....its as if you have complaint templates that you use whenever a new thread pops up. A newbie starts a thread complaining about something that we've all seen before and out come the "copy paste complaint post templates".
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I love comics and no matter what anyone thinks of grading it’s not going anywhere. It’s brought a tremendous amount of money into the hobby that I think is good for its survival.

All that said, a monopoly of one comic grading company isn’t good and CBCS is the only credible counterweight to CGC. For that reason, CBCS can’t just be as good as CGC, it needs to be better. The “whelp they’re not landing on the moon” attitude ain’t gonna cut it.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
But you realize this a forum for collectors...people who like the hobby and for the most part CBCS....your complaints would actually be better served going directly to customer service....but then there's no audience when sending directly to customer service....also, the complaints are always the same....everyone knows your complaints....its as if you have complaint templates that you use whenever a new thread pops up. A newbie starts a thread complaining about something that we've all seen before and out come the "copy paste complaint post templates".

By all means please show me the last time CBCS admitted they had a rogue grader and any book they handled (that I might now own or be bidding on) is mis-graded.

I'll wait.
Post 30 IP   flag post
611380 36 30