Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeComics Restoration and ConservationComics Silver AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

CGC horror story from mega con watch20682

I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
https://youtu.be/HKoXU-4yLSU?si=BVut97Vd4a0VqRrz

I found this interesting. What do you all think?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I've seen this guy on a different thread talking about his WONDER WOMAN #6. I wish he would get to the point. I got bored and clicked out.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
just a list of complaints. i watched it the other day.

i'll save you 30 minutes. here's the summary...

1. why cant cgc apply a credit to his order right there at the show?
2. told to wait on the wrong line at the cgc booth...
3. any opinion if my "restored book" will get a blue label. he was upset that he couldnt get an answer right then and there.
4. "the worse part" as he says - he went to the cgc panel that promised to go over how they grade. He gets to the panel, practically no one were in the room, "less than ten people" in the room. He says "This is why i wont go with cgc anymore". The cgc presentation wasnt thorough enough.
5. he wanted to know what the difference was between a senior grader and a non-=seniors grader... and didnt get that info.
6. he was upset with the answer that was asked at the panel "how much time does cgc take to grade a book?" answer was "10 seconds"; and that out of the 3 graders who look at the book, only 1 of them has the final say of the grade. he harped on that for a while.
7. then he showed off a few books at the end that came back graded..
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
@multi007 thank you for saving me time!
Post 4 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007

3. any opinion if my "restored book" will get a blue label. he was upset that he couldnt get an answer right then and there.
4. "the worse part" as he says - he went to the cgc panel that promised to go over how they grade. He gets to the panel, practically no one were in the room, "less than ten people" in the room. He says "This is why i wont go with cgc anymore". The cgc presentation wasnt thorough enough.
5. he wanted to know what the difference was between a senior grader and a non-=seniors grader... and didnt get that info.
6. he was upset with the answer that was asked at the panel "how much time does cgc take to grade a book?" answer was "10 seconds"; and that out of the 3 graders who look at the book, only 1 of them has the final say of the grade. he harped on that for a while.
7. the he showed off a few books at the end that came back graded..

After reading that, he sounds like an entitled eight year old who takes responsibility for nothing.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
All I saw in the OP’s post title was ‘CGC horror story’. I didn’t need to watch the video.

CGC who???

Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector TheShocker private msg quote post Address this user
Watched, was good vid and really liked the questions he and others had at the cgc panel.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson if you watch it, it makes you wonder what is going on over at CGC.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head
@DrWatson if you watch it, it makes you wonder what is going on over at CGC.

Oh, I know what goes on over at the cgc, lol. 🤡 🎪 🐒
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

After reading that, he sounds like an entitled eight year old who takes responsibility for nothing.

@multi007 thank you for summarizing this nonsense. @DrWatson he does sound like a whiner.

He complains about CGC, then proceeds to spend $15,000 on a CGC slabbed book.... Sounds like a choad looking for youtube views on his new channel.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector sborock_ComicLink private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:
Quote:

@multi007 thank you for summarizing this nonsense. @DrWatson he does sound like a whiner.

He complains about CGC, then proceeds to spend $15,000 on a CGC slabbed book.... Sounds like a choad looking for youtube views on his new channel.

@DrWatson knows what he is talking about and what he does............
Post 11 IP   flag post
@flanders could be I haven’t watched all his videos just the two I watched.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
idk...it's youtube - fake outrage and specious arguments are the name of the game.

Have a feeling if I was having drinks at a back yard BBQ and these guys and others ( thinking of that 9.9 issue) made those comments in public rather than on media I'd probably mock the hell out of the delicate flowers - like my blurb says "suck it up buttercup!"
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Everyone knows that it's low class and tacky to discuss how much you've paid for something. Attention whoring at it's finest.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Everyone knows that it's low class and tacky to discuss how much you've paid for something. Attention whoring at it's finest.

It's just $14,200 before taxes and shipping! lol
Post 15 IP   flag post
With all that's been said, why hasn't anyone question how the "rogue" grader got to be a grader? Doesn't CBCS have interviews and tests for "Grader" applicants? And if a comic book goes through three graders, how did that "9.9" get through the other two graders. I wonder what the real back story is.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@Rafel I think it's a minimum wage job with high turnover. They stick the new graders on modern age books.
Post 17 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
With all that's been said, why hasn't anyone question how the "rogue" grader got to be a grader? Doesn't CBCS have interviews and tests for "Grader" applicants? And if a comic book goes through three graders, how did that "9.9" get through the other two graders. I wonder what the real back story is.

The real questions imo are: 1) process adherence 2) any heightened review for outlier grades?

It is expected less experienced graders would work on the lowest value books. But there should still be process adherence. A good process can keep things efficient (ie cheap) yet still catch systemic issues early (eg one grader repeatedly submitting grades with higher variance vs others).

Even if you “streamline” process at some price points (ie cut corners) there should still be a process backstop for outlier grades. Those outliers would make otherwise low value books potentially of higher value, and higher risk… you would think there’d be enhanced scrutiny. Even if only an extra “10 seconds” by one additional grader…
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Rafel I think it's a minimum wage job with high turnover. They stick the new graders on modern age books.

You might be right on that but it still doesn't answer the question about the other two graders that looked at the book.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
My opinion:

Regardless of how/why it happened, we've once again been lied to.
Post 20 IP   flag post
But what about the other two graders? How did it get past them? As usual we will never know the "True" story.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
I've seen this guy on a different thread talking about his WONDER WOMAN #6. I wish he would get to the point. I got bored and clicked out.

Yeah I saw that video but not knowing the graders notes I presume the book has defects that keep it as a 3.5

No matter taking out the spine roll and pressing and starching a book that has defects that can't be pressed away and keeps it a 3.5 is ever going to change.

Though he did say he had a conversation with Matt we were not there to hear.

It was possible that Matt said the book could increase in grade and it's possible he said it may not but removing the spine roll with let the book fit nicely in a comic book case instead of a magazine holder and will be more presentable.

My interactions with customers I've found they have a tendency to hear and remember what they like and not hear and quickly forget what they don't like.
So you always reinforce the negatives so they take it in.

Unfortunately only he and Matt knows how the conversation really went.
Post 22 IP   flag post
615415 22 22