Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

Fees..just saying....2068

Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,
Just wondering outloud here..Just got notification that more of my RICC are in the Grading process.(yes!~)..How many of you have a fee of "X" dollars for grading fees..but the Postage, insurance and pressing is MORE than the grading costs? My latest bill will be $339 for grading..$297 for other fees....Just wondering...
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Kaleljll private msg quote post Address this user
Holy crap! I just sent out 9 books. Granted I'm not having any of them pressed but I sure didn't have to pay more for fees than the grading and slabbing themselves. It was 31 for shipping there with insurance and for now its 36 for shipping and insurance back. They are not super high dollar books though and they are all modern age. For all 9 so far I'm up to 210ish as long as there are no other fees once they make it to the graders table.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
For me...30+ years in Logistics....Shipping and Warehouse expert and Mgr.....the shipping costs - per shipment....can be cumbersome to swallow.

I am now only submitting those books that I can either hand deliver to CBCS, and like CGC, will only cost me around $40 per book/original art.....no more.

If it isn't available at that cost...I won't be submitting.

Cost margin to selling point needs to be met to MY Standard....which is a minimum of x5 times my cost.

BTW....sale point is already established by the market (+/-)....so realizing 200% or more is very doable....even for low key books.
You just have to play the cards right.

Cheers!
Post 3 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS still charges me about $1 per book for handling but getting my own Fedex account number (you can do this with Fedex for free) saves me some money on shipping.

With CGC I pay a lot less than their standard shipping charges.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
Try submitting from Europe. Return shipping is more than 10$ per book.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector DertyComix private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos sent you a pm
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio

I was quoted an all in figure of £50….yep that’s £50 GBP from a UK CGC affiliate store a few years ago ….just for one book!!!!!!!!!….without pressing !!!!!!!!!

Ok I could probably get it cheaper by going direct but shipping costs from UK/Europe are prohibitive especially for low value books
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@no1lufcfan Any chance of a grading company starting up in Ireland or out your way? A company would be smart to do so.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
@no1lufcfan Any chance of a grading company starting up in Ireland or out your way? A company would be smart to do so.

Well bless my little cotton socks. I’ve just found this on the web but it took some perseverance and to be frank I have never heard of them before!!!!!!

European Comic Grade Certification Service clickable text
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1lufcfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio

I was quoted an all in figure of £50….yep that’s £50 GBP from a UK CGC affiliate store a few years ago ….just for one book!!!!!!!!!….without pressing !!!!!!!!!

Ok I could probably get it cheaper by going direct but shipping costs from UK/Europe are prohibitive especially for low value books

Exactly. That is why I try to either submit only high value books, or batches of at least ten to keep the average cost or % cost down.

I also started combining shipments with another German collector. Americans have it easy!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio

I also started combining shipments with another German collector. Americans have it easy!

Well compared to us fellow collectors they certainly do but I suppose that's where the main market is
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Well bless my little cotton socks. I’ve just found this on the web but it took some perseverance and to be frank I have never heard of them before!!!!!!

Ah Ha!!!!!!!

A bit more digging and it looks like European Comic Grade Certification Service is part of/set-up by SilverAcre who appear to be so called big time sellers on ebay both companies trading from Deva House. River Lane Chester Cheshire CH4 8RH UK

I’ll be giving them a miss btw
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

1997 called...They want their web design back.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@no1lufcfan I am assuming that you are saying that they are too tied into the market and not trully 3rd party? Have you seen any feedback from customers? Just curious.
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I'll give them one thing, on their terms page they fully disclose they are housed inside the offices of Silver Acres. So at least they are not hiding who and where they are like a few American companies I shall not name.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
@no1lufcfan I am assuming that you are saying that they are too tied into the market and not trully 3rd party? Have you seen any feedback from customers? Just curious.

A search on the web turned up this thread from the other place , I’ll let you make your own mind up clickable text

Not only that their orange slabs look pants
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I'll give them one thing, on their terms page they fully disclose they are housed inside the offices of Silver Acres. So at least they are not hiding who and where they are like a few American companies I shall not name.

I sort of like this statement....

"Please note there is no additional charge for grading and verifying signed comics."

https://eurograder.com/grader/index.php/prices

....and they think that the Americans have it easy?

Hmmm.....I wonder what it would cost me to ship something and if this includes the return shipping fees.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Hello all.

Just for interest I have had three lots of comics graded by CBCS services and I show details below which show that the grading /slabbing/return shipping fees work out at appx $30 per comic for me in England. Add on shipping costs out to the US of appx $2/3 each comic depending on how you pack them.

I would not use the Silver Acre/Euro Grading site even if it were half of these costs.

I will also never deal with Silver Acre Comics ever again.

Regards.

Date Order # Status Items Total
Sep 25, 2016 16-3605345 Completed 12 $353.81
Sep 3, 2016 16-3193D28 Completed 10 $308.81
Aug 11, 2016 16-2CFA009 Completed 10 $309.30
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks

....and they think that the Americans have it easy?

Hmmm.....I wonder what it would cost me to ship something and if this includes the return shipping fees.

Ah now come on……you know you have in comparison

And to be frank this lot make PGX look good
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Resurrection private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnylray
Hi all,
Just wondering outloud here..Just got notification that more of my RICC are in the Grading process.(yes!~)..How many of you have a fee of "X" dollars for grading fees..but the Postage, insurance and pressing is MORE than the grading costs? My latest bill will be $339 for grading..$297 for other fees....Just wondering...

PRESSING is not "part" of the grading process. That is like being upset that it costs $175.00 to have a book signed by Stan Lee, graded, and shipped.

Having a SEPARATE service performed should not be included in the cost of your grading.

Absolutely ridiculous.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Ya gotta pay, to play!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Resurrection private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

This is Silver Acre comics. You could deal with them, or just light your money on fire. your choice.

The amount of complaints over the years regarding this outfit are numerous. A quick google search should help you out.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection

This is Silver Acre comics. You could deal with them, or just light your money on fire. your choice.

The amount of complaints over the years regarding this outfit are numerous. A quick google search should help you out.

Yep done that

Quote:

A search on the web turned up this thread from the other place , I’ll let you make your own mind up clickable text
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
Hello all.

Just for interest I have had three lots of comics graded by CBCS services and I show details below which show that the grading /slabbing/return shipping fees work out at appx $30 per comic for me in England. Add on shipping costs out to the US of appx $2/3 each comic depending on how you pack them.

Nice info
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Hello all.

Added info to previous post. The comics were late 70s and early 80s Uncanny X-Men comics and thus the CBCS charges were the $18 rate per book. The shipping costs were therefore $12 per comic (in batches of 10).

There are UK comic dealer affiliates/associates but they of course would add their own fees on top of said charges,(this is not a dig at them, they are businesses and have to make a profit)but I have dealt directly with CBCS (using the Royal Mail) and have experienced no difficulties or problems using this method.

Regards.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
Hello all.

Added info to previous post. The comics were late 70s and early 80s Uncanny X-Men comics and thus the CBCS charges were the $18 rate per book. The shipping costs were therefore $12 per comic (in batches of 10).

There are UK comic dealer affiliates/associates but they of course would add their own fees on top of said charges,(this is not a dig at them, they are businesses and have to make a profit)but I have dealt directly with CBCS (using the Royal Mail) and have experienced no difficulties or problems using this method.

Regards.

Thanks for the info and update I’ll get around to submitting some books some time.

Just wish I had done it a few years ago before I sold a lot of my keys inc X-Men 94 and GS 1/ASM 300 x 3 and Iron Man 1 x 2…. still needs must at the time
Post 26 IP   flag post
598060 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?