Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheSquid
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
am i the only person who actually reads cbcs T&C?

https://www.cbcscomics.com/terms

Right, they're saying that if they catch a grading "error", they'll correct it. But that doesn't imply that every book submitted for a reholder gets put through the same grading process as a raw book that's submitted. I personally think that after CGC's huge screw-up, that every book submitted for a reholder SHOULD get regraded. But they're not. Basically it should just be a discounted charge for getting a book regraded that's already in the company's case.

3:20. CBCS publically states that their policy is to regrade every reholder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66qbQOSMWa4
Post 76 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Right, they're saying that if they catch a grading "error", they'll correct it. But that doesn't imply that every book submitted for a reholder gets put through the same grading process as a raw book that's submitted. I personally think that after CGC's huge screw-up, that every book submitted for a reholder SHOULD get regraded. But they're not. Basically it should just be a discounted charge for getting a book regraded that's already in the company's case.

Just to be clear, that isn’t really what they say… also, if it were true (true re-grading), the only correct way to do this is to crack out the books and send to a separate grading team who have no indication of what the prior grade was. This also isn’t stated or implied in the video. Finally, the context was clearly around the degree of inspection of the book (tamper / damage discussion). They noted they look for indications of tampering or other damage to the slab or the book (implied as post-grading damage).
Post 77 IP   flag post
If the situation for this re-holder / re-grade was accurately described in the original video, CBCS has a big problem. It isn’t simply correcting an error as some put it.

The problem is compounded further by their current market position…
Post 78 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrashLimburg
I just watched the video. This is even worse than I assumed. CBCS admits they had a “bad employee” that was giving out grades so far out of bounds that they need to be retroactively changed.

That's just hearsay.
We don't know if CBCS said that.
No business in their right mind would admit that.

If it's true, then that brings into question the grades of many books, but we would never know the extent because CBCS is even less transparent than CGC.

I'll stop there because this thread is beginning to upset the same people as always.

Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrashLimburg
I just watched the video. This is even worse than I assumed. CBCS admits they had a “bad employee” that was giving out grades so far out of bounds that they need to be retroactively changed.

That's just hearsay.
We don't know if CBCS said that.
No business in their right mind would admit that.

If it's true, then that brings into question the grades of many books, but we would never know the extent because CBCS is even less transparent than CGC.

I'll stop there because this thread is beginning to upset the same people as always.

This is key. It is hearsay, but if true, damning. Stupid is verbally stating this. A whole different level if put in writing (especially without damage control already in place).
Post 80 IP   flag post

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
when they re-holdered did they at least add the notation for the marvel stamp?
Post 81 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just to be clear, that isn’t really what they say… also, if it were true (true re-grading), the only correct way to do this is to crack out the books and send to a separate grading team who have no indication of what the prior grade was. This also isn’t stated or implied in the video. Finally, the context was clearly around the degree of inspection of the book (tamper / damage discussion). They noted they look for indications of tampering or other damage to the slab or the book (implied as post-grading damage).

Not sure if we are listening to the same video. 3:38. "They (reholder) go through basically the same process as nonholder books would go through..."
Post 82 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Ahhhhh... ye ol' "basically".
Not dissimilar to "kind of" and "usually" and "generally" and "essentially".

gotta love a great wordsmither. I know all about them as I sit in audits and know the weasel words.
I'd certainly be interested in the delta between "basically the same" and "the same"
Post 83 IP   flag post
"ISO 9001 Quality Management Systems help businesses demonstrate that they have processes in place to provide quality products and services. It is used by hundreds of thousands of organizations around the globe to minimize risk and maximize opportunity."

wanna prove you are the clear choice...prove it....get and maintain certification of your processes
Post 84 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
"ISO 9001 Quality Management Systems help businesses demonstrate that they have processes in place to provide quality products and services. It is used by hundreds of thousands of organizations around the globe to minimize risk and maximize opportunity."

wanna prove you are the clear choice...prove it....get and maintain certification of your processes
as long as we get consistent grading with lack of newtons I think we’ll be ok.
Post 85 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:

as long as we get consistent grading with lack of newtons I think we’ll be ok.

nope sorry....if your process is to make newton ring holders and you follow the process to make newton ring holders then you PASS!!!

To get rid of newton ring holders they would need to go through a Kaizen or Lean Six Sigma process!!!
Post 86 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
So how many books did this “bad grader” assign grades for?? How many are still floating around and what books are they? Shouldn’t those customers be informed they had a bad grader on their submissions?
Post 87 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbolton
So how many books did this “bad grader” assign grades for?? How many are still floating around and what books are they? Shouldn’t those customers be informed they had a bad grader on their submissions?

It's basically minimal
Post 88 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Had to get rid of the clips.

Post 89 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

That's assuming all the given grades screwed the pooch.
Post 90 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

That's assuming all the given grades screwed the pooch.

and the people still have their books!!

2 scenarios

1) books badly under graded - owner re-subs to get bump! (at either CBCS or CGC)

2) books badly over graded - owner sells book to unsuspecting rube and runs off with the $$

Owner doesn't even have to know it was over/under graded in error -I myself send books to CBCS to get graded and then direct to MCS for sale on occasion...if I suspect my book is 9.6 or better and never see the book in hand...how am I to know before sale that the 9.2 was wrong or the 9.9 was wrong...especially if I had it pressed and cleaned!!
Post 91 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Ahhhhh... ye ol' "basically".
Not dissimilar to "kind of" and "usually" and "generally" and "essentially".

gotta love a great wordsmither. I know all about them as I sit in audits and know the weasel words.
I'd certainly be interested in the delta between "basically the same" and "the same"

if you watch the video the word basically is explained - as the only difference is that for reholder there is an additional step to assess whether slab has been tampered and remove the book from the exiting holder - so no wordsmither
Post 92 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Quote:
if you watch the video the word basically is explained - as the only difference is that for reholder there is an additional step to assess whether slab has been tampered and remove the book from the exiting holder - so no wordsmither

I'm still wondering if, essentially, they go through a complete re-grading.
Getting that answer is like pulling teeth.
No one will answer YES or NO - full grading with new independent graders or not.

That's all I've wanted to know from the very beginning so that I don't send my books in and have them re-graded when I freakin don't want them regraded. I payed $12; not $40. My books are not damaged and they are not tampered and they are not any other spin words to spin around the answer to the question I want an answer to

No one can ever answer the basic, and absolute question anymore... and that includes CBCS and CGC. They all dance around issues. And I'm freaking tired of it
Post 93 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

No one will answer YES or NO - full grading with new independent graders or not.

That's all I've wanted to know from the very beginning so that I don't send my books in and have them re-graded when I freakin don't want them regraded. I payed $12; not $40. My books are not damaged and they are not tampered and they are not any other spin words to spin around the answer to the question I want an answer to

No one can ever answer the basic, and absolute question anymore... and that includes CBCS and CGC. They all dance around issues. And I'm freaking tired of it

I think no one can answer because "it depends"

Sounds like if the case has obvious trauma then yes but if no trauma then they will take a cursory look at it inside it's heat sealed inner well to see if the assigned grade still looks applicable if not then a re-grade - if it looks good then no re-grade.
Think creep engine cases...no damage to the case but the comic inside is now all rippled or maybe a pressing reverted or it sat on display in your front window and is now sun faded...or as in this case....was incorrectly graded
Post 94 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think no one can answer because "it depends"

Sounds like if the case has obvious trauma then yes but if no trauma then they will take a cursory look at it inside it's heat sealed inner well to see if the assigned grade still looks applicable if not then a re-grade - if it looks good then no re-grade.
Think creep engine cases...no damage to the case but the comic inside is now all rippled or maybe a pressing reverted or it sat on display in your front window and is now sun faded...or as in this case....was incorrectly graded
I understand they don’t want to put themselves in hole with an absolute toward our “subjective” hobby and covering their asses, but I feel there is a definitive answer in the form of “on a case by cases basis” “we will do such n such or divide problem Y by process Z for solution =>X” “and if that doesn’t work; we say f@ck it and send it”
Post 95 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
As someone who has owned multiple Spider-Man 2099 #1 copies over the years, that cover can be incredibly fragile.* While it's possible it was mis-graded, it's also been in the case for two years. Without seeing a "before" picture, or even a scan from immediately after encapsulation, we really can't judge the actual original grade. Another reason both major players should image every book, even if they don't publish those images. I feel bad for the owner of the book, but if you don't know this is a possibility with a re-holder you have not been paying attention. I also think CBCS has a knack for handling public relations in the absolute worst way possible.

*The very first copy I ever bought new off the rack had about a quarter of the foil just fall off. Multiple copies I have handled have had obvious issues. Something about that red foil or the underlying paper; my Doom 2099 #1 just feels sturdier.
Post 96 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
A few questions...

- CBCS states that every book gets regraded. Does this mean it gets 100% regraded (as in 'the same way' as a raw)?

- How can any grade be given to any book (including reholders) without going thru a complete grading process?

- If a person were to hand deliver both a 9.9 and a 9.8 to CBCS, ask them to crack them out, and ask them to point out the reasons for the given grades, would it be a slam dunk that they could?

- The most important question of all ... why doesn't CBCS respond to this thread?
Post 97 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
CBCS states that every book gets regraded. Does this mean it gets 100% regraded (as in 'the same way' as a raw)?

This is where my "basically", "essentially" and wordsmithing comment came from last night that someone didn't get.

The interview danced around the topic and I stand by that assessment.

This is, and remains, a yes or no response from cbcs. Yes we do a full regrade on all reholders or no we do not do a full regrade on all reholders. Finally, yes we reserve the right to assess improper previous grading. Is this the policy?
Post 98 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I'm confused that so many people here feel they are seeing this for the first time and reacting as such.

Do a search on this topic and see how many previous threads there have been....many with posts from people posting in this thread.

This was 4 years ago from Darryl H..a CBCS Regional Manager.

If the book shows signs of an incorrect grade...it will be re-graded.

People like to voice shock, drama and outrage.
Post 99 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
I feel the advent of the reholder fiasco at CGC + the 9.9 reholder situation in combo may have negated this response from Darryl_H which was 4 years ago.

So I have been looking for clarity IF the policy has changed. 4 years is a long time and much has happened in the hobby since then. Policies change over time.

Which, again, is why I am seeking clarity directly from CBCS on this
Post 100 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Why would the reholder fiasco/9.9 reholder change that response from 4 years ago....if anything the current events just re-inforce it and prove it's the right thing to do.

Plain and simple....in a reholder situation, CBCS is saying: we will correct the grade if we believe the initial grade was inaccurate. This is the right thing to do, full stop.

Now, what that means for the customers who went down from a 9.9 or 10 to whatever...that's an entirely different question....that question merits discussion in my opinion.

Correcting grades is not debatable in my opinion...they should 100% do that...everytime.

EDIT: I recognize the re-grade potentially opens up a can of worms for CBCS. This should be written into their T&C and I'd be shocked if it's not there already.

A re-grade is an admission of error..but no one ever talks about if the re-grade is in the customers favour...a grade bump.

Its only a problem for CBCS/client if the grade goes down.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector GIJFan123 private msg quote post Address this user
Not a 9.8 (and certainly not a 9.9), but here's my Spider-Man 2099, signed by Rick Leonardi and Tom Smith
Post 102 IP   flag post
I will add this....if it's true that a Customer Service rep wrote/verbalized, whatever, to a client that there was a "rogue" grader handing out gift grades....that person needs to be re-trained to never divulge the "inner goings-on" of the company.

Also, by doing the re-grade from a 9.9 to a 9.6 then pressed to a 9.8...you have to commend CBCS for at least following their own rule. You know, CBCS must have known, the client is not going to like this at all....and in the social media age...CBCS still did what they thought was right.....all knowing that the very simple and easy way out is to keep the 9.9....especially after pressing.

If CBCS does that, this thread and outrage doesn't exist....but they did it anyway....probably because it's what they should have done.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
What do the graders notes say for both 9.8 and 9.9 grades and what made CBCS regrade it?
Post 104 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
@GAC I understand the position. Truly I do and it makes sense. But when I turn to @poka response to me late last night he wrote:

"if you watch the video the word basically is explained - as the only difference is that for reholder there is an additional step to assess whether slab has been tampered and remove the book from the exiting holder - so no wordsmither"

I certainly didn't need to hear "so no wordsmither", but his point was from the video that there is no difference for how reholders are handled except for an assessment of tampering. In other words regardless if raw book or slabbed book they are handled the same. To me that means they are to be regraded regardless.
That's the piece in this whole thread that is bothering me significantly. We have those that believe one policy and are adamant and clear about the policy and then there is at least 1 who believes from the Ricketts video that all reholders are "handled the same" as raw books.

So which is it?
Post 105 IP   flag post
608545 147 30