Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Helric1 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth

OR

During the "Reholder" CBCS damaged the book while taking it out of the inner well, thus knocking it down from a 9.9 to 9.8

Yes, I mentioned that as a possibility.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@Helric1 Ah yeah I see it now. I'm half-assed working and reading these forums at the same time. Haha.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Helric1 private msg quote post Address this user
I would like to add one thing. Here's the link to the book on Heritage. You need to sign in to see high res images but I think looking closely I can see where this book might not deserve the 9.9. Can't be positive without the book in hand.
The situation sucks for the buyer and I would be mad also, mostly at CBCS for grading it wrong in the first place. I think they owe the buyer something for that. I'm just trying to add a little perspective to the situation.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/superhero/spider-man-2099-1-marvel-1992-cbcs-mt-99-white-pages/a/122411-13981.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Must have been 2 bad employees since every comic is graded by 2. 🙄🙄🙄

Three bad employees per their process of three independent people inspecting it.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
OR

During the "Reholder" CBCS damaged the book while taking it out of the inner well, thus knocking it down from a 9.9 to 9.8

Preposterous... they would get a free CBCS press if that happened. Oh wait...
Post 55 IP   flag post

Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Did all reholders get removed from the inner well in the past? Do they now? Seems like an extra labor cost to remove sealed books from the inner well just to kick some nuts on the regrade. And if so, why aren't the inner wells more robust to recognize a cost savings on regrades.
Post 56 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve been a fan of CBCS since 2017. About 5yrs back I got burned by a CBCS label mistake that Steve Borock himself called me personally to make right. That made a great impression on me as to the integrity of CBCS. Now I await how they handle this.
Up until reading about this I have self-imposed a requirement of in-hand inspection of any expensive books graded by CGC because I’ve witnessed multiple inconsistencies. I really hope I don’t have to extend that mistrust to CBCS. There’s none left to trust for me.
Post 57 IP   flag post
@Joosh McFarlane 'signed' book?
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
I can see issues with this issue.... har har...
My great Great Great Great Grand Pappy always said "Buy the Book, not the Grade."

Post 59 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I can see issues with this issue.... har har...
My great Great Great Great Grand Pappy always said "Buy the Book, not the Grade."

if this book was reholdered, do you think it should keep its 9.9 grade?
Post 60 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC No, that is a grading or label error and it needs to be corrected. The same thing happens with the cgc all the time.

Apparently, it's different when it happens with CBCS.

I'm of the opinion that if you are only posting on the CBCS boards to complain about CBCS and/or sell your books graded by the cgc, then maybe you need to spend your time on the cgc boards.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Wow....someone at CBCS needs to learn how to communicate.

Even if you had a bad grader who assigned poor grades...you NEVER tell the customer that!!!!

What you say is that there are variations in grades assigned by one grader to another...upon reholder we re-evaluate books as industry common practice as damages can still occur while in the protective holder -even if just sun damage.
As part of this process your book was re-graded at XX grade.

Sweet lord...by saying you had a bad grader who I assume was fired and putting that to "paper" you open yourself to liability...maybe not for $500...but wait till this happens to a really expensive book
Post 62 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Sweet lord...by saying you had a bad grader who I assume was fired and putting that to "paper" you open yourself to liability...maybe not for $500...but wait till this happens to a really expensive book

Amen
Post 63 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson Agreed.

The way I see it is CBCS is correcting a past error. They have an obligation to correct that error.

I can see where it can get dicey on these 9.9 vs. 9.6/9.8 grades where the downgrade occurs and the difference in prices paid for the books. Maybe that can be addressed somehow.

But to suggest to keep an inaccurate grade in a slab is wrong.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Oh...as an aside..if anyone is looking for a Spidey 2099 CBCS 9.8 verified Peter David signature I will be posting one for the MCS CBCS special auction...just mailed a box of books today -MCS should have them by next Friday!
Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector BrashLimburg private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
@GAC No, that is a grading or label error and it needs to be corrected. The same thing happens with the cgc all the time.

I'm of the opinion that if you are only posting on the CBCS boards to complain about CBCS and/or sell your books graded by the cgc, then maybe you need to spend your time on the cgc boards.

If you like CBCS and want them to be able to compete with CGC, pretending this isn’t a large issue isn’t the right take.

People who post here do so because they care about CBCS being successful. The issue isn’t people being critical when CBCS screws up, it’s that there are like 12 of us who bother to post here at all.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrashLimburg
Quote:

If you like CBCS and want them to be able to compete with CGC, pretending this isn’t a large issue isn’t the right take.

People who post here do so because they care about CBCS being successful. The issue isn’t people being critical when CBCS screws up, it’s that there are like 12 of us who bother to post here at all.

It's not an issue....certainly not a new one....this has been the case for at least 4 years as shown in my previous posts.....it seems every couple of years the same old crap gets brought up in the forum as if it's the first time anyone is hearing about it.....old news...been there done that.
Post 67 IP   flag post
I don't know....the grade drop on a re-holder is not the issue for me.
Hasn't it always been known that re-holder get a once over and a potential re-grade? I've always assumed that because, wrong grade, creep engine (CGC slabs that destroyed comics), shaken comic syndrome, sun damage etc. etc. etc...many ways a book in a slab could no longer be that grade.

My issue is having a poor grader assigning dramatically wrong grades.
1 person grading a book...well...everyone says they have 2 or 3 but I don't really believe it...certainly not during plague times when the backlogs were huge - guarantee they were pushing through as many as they could...just saying

Sure the site says they have multiple graders...but like...are they ISO (or other body) certified to PROVE they have multiple graders??

No 3rd party certification to PROVE you follow the process you say you follow and I'll never believe something you "say" you do - is it expensive -yes, is it painful - yes...but then you can say !!!! look at our certification!!! we say we do XYZ and we can prove that we do XYZ
Post 68 IP   flag post
No one is pretending anything. It's an error that certainly doesn't wear well.

In relation to the constant three ring shitshow going on at the cgc, it appears certain people seem to delight in componding any aberration where CBCS is concerned.

There's a difference in posting here and being part of the community. Showing up simply to react to a negative does little to promote CBCS.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
The learning here folks, is, don't reholder your books - like the video suggested.
Not doing so keeps YOU in power, and keeps you out of their ineptitude and/or nonsense.
Post 70 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
In relation to the constant three ring shitshow going on at the cgc, it appears certain people seem to delight in componding any aberration where CBCS is concerned.

Agreed. Take your biased opinion elsewhere, whoever you are (don't know who @DrWatson is referring to as this thread is too long already).

Interesting that CBCS hasn't reimbursed the difference between the price paid by the owner and the FMV of a 9.8. I hope they also didn't charge for re-grading and pressing services, as their employee was the one that overgraded this book in the first place.

I hope you've also reached out to Heritage to see if they'll accept a return or reimburse you anything.

Edit: I just realized I'm talking to no one as the owner of this book isn't even on this thread
Why is everyone so riled up when we don't even have an update from the actual owner?
2nd Edit: As I can't stand that youtuber, I didn't even watch the video. Maybe I shouldn't have commented in the first place, adding to this far too long of a thread.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
I can only say for myself that I'm riled up because I have roughly 20 books in red labels and rivet labels I was going to drop off for reholder.
With this information of re-grading during reholdering, I will not be dropping them off.
And that kinda pisses me off because I wanted the new slabs on some real nice big boy books
Post 72 IP   flag post
@flanders Cliff Notes... good book gone bad. Was it the sauce, or the bikers, or was it ass to begin with and it just took too long for everyone to realize?

On a side note, I'm looking for a cheap 9.6 graded as a 9.8 that used to be a 9.9. C'mon eBay!
Post 73 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I can only say for myself that I'm riled up because I have roughly 20 books in red labels and rivet labels I was going to drop off for reholder.

Good point, my brain seems to not be functioning today. I'm certainly concerned about sending anything in for a reholder, regardless of the current grade. If they can downgrade a 9.9, they can downgrade anything.
Post 74 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:

Good point, my brain seems to not be functioning today. I'm certainly concerned about sending anything in for a reholder, regardless of the current grade. If they can downgrade a 9.9, they can downgrade anything.

The point of the matter is that it wasn't supposed to be a 9.9 to begin with. It was a grading error... mistake, inexperienced graded, damage, or whatever. The submitter should have realized that book wasn't a 9.9 when he received it and left well enough alone. I'm not saying it's his fault. I'm saying that you don't look a gift horse in the mouth and you don't send back gift grades... for any reason, especially 9.9s and 10s, to either grading company.

Do you think anyone is ever going to send back that Giant Size X-Men #1 that the cgc recently christened with a 9.9? They're stupid if they do.
Post 75 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheSquid
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
am i the only person who actually reads cbcs T&C?

https://www.cbcscomics.com/terms

Right, they're saying that if they catch a grading "error", they'll correct it. But that doesn't imply that every book submitted for a reholder gets put through the same grading process as a raw book that's submitted. I personally think that after CGC's huge screw-up, that every book submitted for a reholder SHOULD get regraded. But they're not. Basically it should just be a discounted charge for getting a book regraded that's already in the company's case.

3:20. CBCS publically states that their policy is to regrade every reholder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66qbQOSMWa4
Post 76 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheSquid
Quote:
am i the only person who actually reads cbcs T&C?

https://www.cbcscomics.com/terms

Right, they're saying that if they catch a grading "error", they'll correct it. But that doesn't imply that every book submitted for a reholder gets put through the same grading process as a raw book that's submitted. I personally think that after CGC's huge screw-up, that every book submitted for a reholder SHOULD get regraded. But they're not. Basically it should just be a discounted charge for getting a book regraded that's already in the company's case.

3:20. CBCS publically states that their policy is to regrade every reholder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66qbQOSMWa4

Just to be clear, that isn’t really what they say… also, if it were true (true re-grading), the only correct way to do this is to crack out the books and send to a separate grading team who have no indication of what the prior grade was. This also isn’t stated or implied in the video. Finally, the context was clearly around the degree of inspection of the book (tamper / damage discussion). They noted they look for indications of tampering or other damage to the slab or the book (implied as post-grading damage).
Post 77 IP   flag post
If the situation for this re-holder / re-grade was accurately described in the original video, CBCS has a big problem. It isn’t simply correcting an error as some put it.

The problem is compounded further by their current market position…
Post 78 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I just watched the video. This is even worse than I assumed. CBCS admits they had a “bad employee” that was giving out grades so far out of bounds that they need to be retroactively changed.

That's just hearsay.
We don't know if CBCS said that.
No business in their right mind would admit that.

If it's true, then that brings into question the grades of many books, but we would never know the extent because CBCS is even less transparent than CGC.

I'll stop there because this thread is beginning to upset the same people as always.

Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Quote:
I just watched the video. This is even worse than I assumed. CBCS admits they had a “bad employee” that was giving out grades so far out of bounds that they need to be retroactively changed.

That's just hearsay.
We don't know if CBCS said that.
No business in their right mind would admit that.

If it's true, then that brings into question the grades of many books, but we would never know the extent because CBCS is even less transparent than CGC.

I'll stop there because this thread is beginning to upset the same people as always.

This is key. It is hearsay, but if true, damning. Stupid is verbally stating this. A whole different level if put in writing (especially without damage control already in place).
Post 80 IP   flag post
608544 147 30