Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

Uncanny X-Men 211 and 212 Would Cleaning and Pressing these be worth it?20658

Collector Dealiod private msg quote post Address this user
I figure as is these are maybe $10-$15 as is. Pressing them *might* get to $30?
I pictured the biggest issues I see with these.
On 211 There's a big bend that run parallel to the spine from being stuffed in an over full box. There's some color missing from the E and the N in MEN. The spine looks good. The corners look great.
On 212 The white on the front cover looks dingy. There's a little smudging of color around Storm's head. There are lots of little creases along the spine Looking more at it I think the spine is that larger problem. I'd say my bas is an 8.0. on that one.
Basically I'm still learning how to grade, price and sell these. One app says $30.00 tops possible for each book. I'm not sure in this market that's right? Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Cleaning and Pressing them yourself? Absolutely. Paying someone else to do it? Definitely not.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Travis private msg quote post Address this user
I think they are asking should they get a clean and press service when they send it in to get slabbed. They Will benefit from a clean and a press vs not getting one before slab. it will improve the grade of those two for sure. There’s prob dirt on there that we ain’t seeing or on the back cover those look like a six or seven a press and clean could bump it up. I don’t know if it will help much on 212 there’s some ticks the press won’t help but it might make them look better for sure so it all will help impact the finale grading of the comics at hand. But there’s prob better copy’s out there try looking for the best copy of it you can find. Before I send in a comic to get slab I tend to have like 4 or 5 comps of the comic so I can compare the comics and make the right choices to send off the best one in my stack benefit I end up with the highest grade possible. Hope that helps you out a little bit
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheSquid
Cleaning and Pressing them yourself? Absolutely. Paying someone else to do it? Definitely not.

Thanks! Yeah. Sitting there and typing this out and posting it was what really put it into focus for me. Even getting them graded for $15 ( I know a local guy that does it ) isn't going to be worth it, especially if I have to add on to that cleaning.
Thanks! I appreciate the response.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
I think they are asking should they get a clean and press service when they send it in to get slabbed. They Will benefit from a clean and a press vs not getting one before slab. it will improve the grade of those two for sure. There’s prob dirt on there that we ain’t seeing or on the back cover those look like a six or seven a press and clean could bump it up. I don’t know if it will help much on 212 there’s some ticks the press won’t help but it might make them look better for sure so it all will help impact the finale grading of the comics at hand. But there’s prob better copy’s out there try looking for the best copy of it you can find. Before I send in a comic to get slab I tend to have like 4 or 5 comps of the comic so I can compare the comics and make the right choices to send off the best one in my stack benefit I end up with the highest grade possible. Hope that helps you out a little bit

Yeah. It does help. But I was talking about selling them on eBay. Which the more I'm thinking about isn't worth it. The money just doesn't add up.
Thanks, though! I appreciate the response.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Travis private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah no worries man just sell it raw on eBay sell everything raw let the new owner decide if they want to slab it or not i tent up mostly buy raw comics onlt time I buy a slab if I find it cheaper than I could get it slab or around the same price of me getting it slabed
Post 6 IP   flag post
How do I know this? Because I've done it myself. lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
I've started selling a bit on Facebook in certain comic buy and sell groups, and I can tell you those books will most likely sell on there, and you can avoid the crazy Ebay charges.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealiod
The money just doesn't add up.

Exactly, your $15 would be better spent getting nicer copies (if that's important to you)- spending money on getting those two graded will not increase their resale value above what you spent on grading.

I'm curious what type of grading you're talking about for $15 though- you have someone you know who raw grades them? I don't understand.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah man, its not worth. I mean the #211 has some spine roll, which could press out easily, if you had your own press etc. but I cant see the rear cover on that one (no pics). But the #212, no way. Just buy a better copy. As for getting those two pressed & cleaned then graded. I, personally wouldn't pay someone else cause I do my own cleaning & pressings, so I'd have to say no on that. Hope this helps.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheSquid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealiod

I'm curious what type of grading you're talking about for $15 though- you have someone you know who raw grades them? I don't understand.

There's a guy here that grades books out of his shop. herograder.com
They aren't slabbed, but they're graded and sent back in a nice heavy duty bag. He cleans and presses books also. Really nice guy, what little stuff I've given him, he seems like he really knows his stuff.
I realize that it's not really worth anything outside of his store, basically, but it's a good basis for pricing.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@GanaSoth Thanks. I tend to find most posts on this forum help. It's a good community. Thank you for your reply.
Post 11 IP   flag post
615415 11 11