Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop CultureQuestions

Requesting Advice For Selling At A Con?20655

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I’m toying with the idea of setting up a booth & selling at a Con in a year or two.

I’m hunting for inventory now and figuring 12-15 short boxes, probably 20 wall books and a couple boxes of dollar books.

Is this satisfactory?

Should there be more dollar books?

I have practically zero experience with modern variants. Will I be shooting myself in the foot by not having a lot of these?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
I have two different bits of advice to offer:

First, your question is unique. People will often ask for advice about setting up at cons to sell books. But never have I seen the question phrased as "I'm looking for inventory now". Always before collectors already had the books they wanted to sell. Reducing the size of their collection, getting out of collecting, whatever. Or they have an opportunity to purchase a large collection and want advice on selling some or much or all of it.

I'm not sure how well it will work out buying books this year so as to have them to sell in a year or two at cons. The stuff you can buy cheaply from other dealers in bulk isn't in much demand. Dealers are not going to sell good stuff cheap.

For more straightforward advice. Rather than asking here, I would suggest you GO TO the shows you are thinking about selling at and spend your time observing which dealers seem to be busy and what it is they are bringing to the shows and more importantly what is actually selling for them. What do they have? What is their pricing? What boxes are collectors going through?

What collectors are interested in can vary by area (where I live it's mostly Marvel country). They can vary by the type of show (dealer only or comic cons with guests) It can vary with admission price (cheap town here, admission basically has to be free or close to it)

So spend the next year looking to see what sells where you want to set up. Then you'll know better what to bring.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@IronMan I’m usually able to find collections of 1-4 boxes locally on a regular basis. I typically cherry pick and flip the rest. Inventory shouldn’t be an issue. I’ve just always flipped collections instead of hanging onto them. Only because the focus for my collection is rather narrow.

As far as what sells locally, that’s a great suggestion. Marvel does seem to move faster.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
I've only sold at small cons, some with shared booths. Have friends who do very well with dollar books and 3 for 20 as well. Funny, selling at cons are so different. I've taken books to sell, having listed well under last sales or fmv with no interest, list them Instagram at slightly under last sale and they move instantly. At cons, I typically move any golden age books I bring and high grade books if priced right. So funny to see wall books at cons with 2021-22 prices. The same dealers bring the same books con after con. Don't know how they survive
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
BOGO
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
So funny to see wall books at cons with 2021-22 prices. The same dealers bring the same books con after con. Don't know how they survive

This is 100% accurate and true.
Which is why I go to the "small guy" just looking to get rid of his stuff & is often discombobulated with his inventory. They're just looking to get rid of their books.
Unfortunately, the savages also know this and often go digging in this "small guy" boxes before shows even open; as well as during show with everyone else.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
try to have an inventory of every comic you are selling. put boxes in alphabetical order. I know would be time consuming but if you have a comic someone seeks....you can say "let me check...ah yes I have so and so issue in box under "insert letter".

but at least have it alphabetical order. makes it easier for the comic hunters to find what they are looking for. I personally hate digging through boxes with no order. do they have something Im looking for.....great let me look through every single box with no order
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm sure this is not the norm, but I purposely look through the boxes of sellers who have no rhyme or reason or have any semblance of order. Old, beat up poly bags? - count me in for the duration

Those are the guys I actually target; not the dealers who do shows day in and day out and everything is organized exceptionally well. These sellers know exactly what they have and exactly the FMV. This is not for me

I'm looking for deals and steals and willing to look through the chaotic weekend warrior.
I hate paying FMV for books because after all, I need my margins.
Post 8 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim Bring a cooler with drinks and food so you don't have to leave your book to get these things.
Wear very comfortable shoes and bring a chair. Standing up for 12+ hours will not be easy for anyone.
The bundle is king. If someone wants a discount on a book, suggest buying another or two to get the best discount.
This usually works well for both parties.
Be patient. Everyone want it for less..... especially @Nuffsaid111 ...lol....
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I do a few shows every year and they vary from show to show. I like @IronMan advice about going and checking out the shows that you may want to set up at. I have been to many shows and if it is one that I have not set up at before, I will ask the other dealers how it's going and sometimes you can just tell when you walk into a dead show vs one that is booming with people.
Here are some tips that may help.
Bring more books than what you think you will need.
Put Dollar boxes under the table and put the better books on the table. People will look at them down low but sometimes it will block customers who want to look at the better books on the table.
Get a wall spot so you can display your wall books or get a free standing rack to display the wall books. I have 2 free standing racks that I bought from Displays2Go. They were $90. each. I love them as they collapse down easily for traveling with but I can display a ton of books on them. I made my wall display and really like it too. If you make a wall display, make sure that your slabs will fit on it.
Bring change plenty of "singles"
Bring bags for customers who buy several books.
Make sure your books are priced and bring extra price stickers and supplies with you.
Have a good hand cart. I have a hand cart that will fold down into a 4 wheeler. I can bring a lot of books in with that cart.
Use deodorant. Lol. There are some really stinky people at these shows.
Be friendly but not too pushy.
Have fun!
Have a friend help you if possible.
Post 10 IP   flag post

This is my handcart. I split a table with a friend about 2 months ago. This is the amount of books that will fit on half a table. I also had a couple of boxes here for the wall display too.
Post 11 IP   flag post

Here is a 10'x 10' booth space. This has my wall display and both of my stand up racks.
Post 12 IP   flag post

Expect the unexpected. We lost power at a show last August. It totally sucked. My daughter got creative with her phone and it helped with sales. Even sold a $1400. Dollar book during that stretch. People were going through the boxes with the lights on their phones.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
@power_struggle55 and @BrianGreensnips your right.
The basics of having your books priced and alphabetized or in some semblance of order will greatly increase your sales.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Have a good glamour wall (wall books)

First impressions.

Nothing worse when seeing a dealers glamour wall and I'm thinking I could spend just 5 minutes pulling books out of my collection and it would blow this dealers wall books out of the water.

These are the dealers where their wall book gems are like Spidey 300, wolverine 1, NM 98 and Ultimate fallout 4s.
Nothing wrong having those as wall books but it looks better if also they have golden age DCs and Timely's. Precode horror, crime romance etc.
60s keys and they don't have to be AF 15s.
Books like Daredevil 7, FF annual 1, Batman 181, Ironman 1, TTA 93, TOS 59.
And Bronze keys and minor keys like Neil Adams Superman and Batman covers and Spotlight 2 and 5 and FF 112.
They don't have to be high grade either.

When a collector sees a wall of cool vintage books from Golden age to present day books in your back wall. They're wondering what cool hidden gems do you have in your boxes for me to discover.

Another important thing is having a friend help you over the convention.
It would be good for them to look out after your booth as you take bathroom breaks.
And also another set of eyes if you're distracted serving a customer.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips

Here is a 10'x 10' booth space. This has my wall display and both of my stand up racks.
is that a X-men Adventures hiding behind the middle-right box?
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@HulkSmash haha good eye!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I’m toying with the idea of setting up a booth & selling at a Con in a year or two.

I’m hunting for inventory now and figuring 12-15 short boxes, probably 20 wall books and a couple boxes of dollar books.

Is this satisfactory?

Should there be more dollar books?

I have practically zero experience with modern variants. Will I be shooting myself in the foot by not having a lot of these?

Any advice would be appreciated.
I can’t speak specifically to your question, but actually acknowledging the people who visit your place of business will put you I a great position. I don’t like people in general; I sure as hell won’t strike up a conversation with a stranger, but registering the fact that I’m potential money in your pocket by at the very least saying “hi” is important. And don’t brush me off because I’m not looking for a specific book. That’s my experience with every LCS in my area. The only one who would act as decent human closed his doors to pursue other things. He would at least ask what I was into and pull a book off the shelf to examine even if he was the only one to handle it; he would take 2 minutes if it only meant sharing a piece of the hobby. He was also ruthless and would tell you straight to your face if you were wasting his time. He didn’t do it me, but I saw it a few time to some complete asshats.

As an aside. I have dollar books for days for you. I’d rather take a few cents from you than the used book store or the penny if I’m lucky off eBay 👍🏻
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:

is that a X-men Adventures hiding behind the middle-right box?

Yep. Good eye.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
BOGO

"Buy, Or Get Out"? (I'm flashing back to the 70's when the crotchety old store owner used to yell at me for browsing the new comics each week)
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayC
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
BOGO

"Buy, Or Get Out"? (I'm flashing back to the 70's when the crotchety old store owner used to yell at me for browsing the new comics each week)

Close

Buy One Get One
Post 21 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Expect the unexpected. We lost power at a show last August. It totally sucked. My daughter got creative with her phone and it helped with sales. Even sold a $1400. Dollar book during that stretch. People were going through the boxes with the lights on their phones.

That's clever - having a lights out sale. I'm surprised though. Most public places - like malls, stores, government buildings and convention centers - when the power goes off (including the lights) make people leave. If someone trips/hurts themselves as a result of it being dark then there is a liability risk.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector sborock_ComicLink private msg quote post Address this user
You have got some great advice here! Just remember to treat everyone you meet as you would hope that they will do same to you.

Be a true hobbyist.

It's been over 45 years since setting up my 1st show. I don't want to write a diatribe now.

That said, feel free to email me at sborock@comiclink.com and I will give ya my personal cell # and we can chat! You "might" get something out of it, or we just have fun talking!
☮
Post 23 IP   flag post
@sborock_ComicLink That’s very generous. I’ll probably take you up on that regardless. Much appreciated. 👍🏼
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:

That's clever - having a lights out sale. I'm surprised though. Most public places - like malls, stores, government buildings and convention centers - when the power goes off (including the lights) make people leave. If someone trips/hurts themselves as a result of it being dark then there is a liability risk.

Believe it or not, there were bats flying all around and freaking people out. There was a storm that came through and half the building lost power. They never regained power. So from about Noon until the end of the show which I think was 4pm we were totally in the dark. I never got compensated and it took over a week for the promoter to reach out on social media about the whole ordeal. I hope that I am not making a mistake but I am signed up to do it again this August.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector sborock_ComicLink private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
@sborock_ComicLink That’s very generous. I’ll probably take you up on that regardless. Much appreciated. 👍🏼

Hey, we are all in this together! I always want to help any true hobbyist.👍😀
Post 26 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock_ComicLink
You have got some great advice here! Just remember to treat everyone you meet as you would hope that they will do same to you.

Be a true hobbyist.

It's been over 45 years since setting up my 1st show. I don't want to write a diatribe now.

That said, feel free to email me at sborock@comiclink.com and I will give ya my personal cell # and we can chat! You "might" get something out of it, or we just have fun talking!
☮
I wonder if you used to do the old Creation Conventions back in the day. I used to love going to those as a shorty. Star Trek and Comic Books. How can you beat that? Bonus: even the original Star Trek cast were still relatively young!
Post 27 IP   flag post
615425 27 27