Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

How identifiable are back covers by themselves?20624

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
So I saw this on MCS and it got me wondering how identifiable a back cover is by itself? I haven’t paid a ton of attention to back covers but, at least from what I remember, many books would could have the same back and inside-back cover ads meaning it would be incredibly difficult, if not impossible to determine the book it came from from just the back cover.

Am I misremembering or can individual issues (or maybe just certain issues) be identified from just a back cover?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector StraightArrow private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm with you. Having collected thousands of comics, I feel like it would be all but impossible to name a book with no other info than the back cover.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
WOW!!! You know I'd pay all of zero dollars and zero cents for that!!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
"CREAM TO OFF-WHITE Pages"

What pages? I don't see any pages.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
WOW!!! You know I'd pay all of zero dollars and zero cents for that!!!

You're way too generous.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve questioned this as well. Running the same ads for hundreds of series from multiple publishers on the same paper stock; how can you determine what book it’s from?

Now if it any portion of the spine with reasonable probability of being a match; like a miswrap with some cover color or something then ok I guess.
Post 6 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
There are definitely some books identifiable by the back cover, but as you said, ads were spread across multiple titles. That makes it harder.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42
"CREAM TO OFF-WHITE Pages"

What pages? I don't see any pages.

Outer/Inner covers are included.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Whenever you have a monkey riding a horse, I'm in. Tom74152 private msg quote post Address this user
Some, if not all of the coupons and adds have date codes in them
Post 9 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
depending on issue it can be (like a wrap around) but advertisements could be for anything. I could get someone buying the front cover...but back
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
This is a familiar back cover from the 80's

Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom74152
Some, if not all of the coupons and adds have date codes in them

That would certainly narrow things down and combined with the inside back cover ad that would narrow it down further, but is it enough to identify the issue from the dozens, if not more, released in a specific week or month?
Post 12 IP   flag post
I was toying with the idea that this was an April Fool's joke, but it's legit. They want $950 for this thing, lol.
Post 13 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
depending on issue it can be (like a wrap around) but advertisements could be for anything. I could get someone buying the front cover...but back

At least a back cover beats cover crumbs. Still, that's insane, especially for a Hulk 181. That book is literally everywhere.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
I mean how does cgc even know its from that issue? for all we could know a comic with same front back (and the inside) from a comic not worth anything in that condition

I mean at this point it shouldn't even be "1st appearance of wolverine" or Incredible Hulk #181. it should be back cover for maybe Incredible Hulk #181 no artists, writer info...note issue notes
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightArrow
I was toying with the idea that this was an April Fool's joke, but it's legit. They want $950 for this thing, lol.

Add about another $500 and you can get a front cover as well as the insides in about 1.8. That beats that bird cage back cover.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:

You are mistaken. MCS has a full cover wrap for $950 but this back cover is listed for $195

Strangely, they list thr full cover as a CGC 0.0 and the back cover as a CGC 0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
I mean how does cgc even know its from that issue? for all we could know a comic with same front back (and the inside) from a comic not worth anything in that condition

I mean at this point it shouldn't even be "1st appearance of wolverine" or Incredible Hulk #181. it should be back cover for maybe Incredible Hulk #181 no artists, writer info...note issue notes

This was the primary thought behind the thread. How does CGC know? Otherwise, how can you have confidence in their judgement as a consumer?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
Fn insane….. people will buy anything.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbolton
Fn insane….. people will buy anything.

Ive seen listings for a part of the cover. Buy the "amazing" part of amazing fantasy #15
Post 19 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 20 IP   flag post
That can't possibly be real....can it?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
That can't possibly be real....can it?
it is very real, but that one could be an invaluable piece for restoring an action 1.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
There have been many memorable back covers that are very indentifible with certain issues.

Some that come to mind are the Wolverine Pin Up galleries on the backs of Early Wolverine Issues.

Back Of Wolverine #1

Back of Wolverine #2

Back of Wolverine #5

Back of Wolverine #6

Back of Wolverine #8

Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Keytothecity1 private msg quote post Address this user
There used to be a seller on eBay that kept “finding” Amazing Fantasy 15 back covers. How lucky can one guy get to find that many.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone have a raw book from the same month as 181 that can compare this to? See if it’s truly unique to hulk 181?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Jr1776 private msg quote post Address this user
Isnt it the readers letters and stuff like that just on the other side of the back? Or is there others publicities?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Keytothecity1 private msg quote post Address this user
I checked a few beat up Marvel comics from November/December 1974.
Werewolf by night #24 seems to be a match to the back cover to Hulk 181. Hope that helps
Post 27 IP   flag post

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user

Post 29 IP   flag post
@Keytothecity1 @DrWatson @Drogio

Thank you! That’s some great sleuthing!

So now the question is, how can CGC be certain the cover they slabbed was an Incredible Hulk 181 cover and not a Werewolf by Night 24 cover?

I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess there is a significant value difference between the two books
Post 30 IP   flag post
611415 32 30