Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

How identifiable are back covers by themselves?20624

Collector Jr1776 private msg quote post Address this user
Isnt it the readers letters and stuff like that just on the other side of the back? Or is there others publicities?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Keytothecity1 private msg quote post Address this user
I checked a few beat up Marvel comics from November/December 1974.
Werewolf by night #24 seems to be a match to the back cover to Hulk 181. Hope that helps
Post 27 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user

Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Keytothecity1 @DrWatson @Drogio

Thank you! That’s some great sleuthing!

So now the question is, how can CGC be certain the cover they slabbed was an Incredible Hulk 181 cover and not a Werewolf by Night 24 cover?

I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess there is a significant value difference between the two books
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Keytothecity1 private msg quote post Address this user
My guess would be, when the person submitted the page for grading they filled out the form and said it was a back cover to a Hulk 181. Maybe it is. I would think it should be rejected by that grading company because it can not be verified, maybe some color from the front cover running along the spine.but I am guessing they wanted their grading fees.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
The grading company could receive other pages or a front cover along with the back cover in question, all to be slabbed separately. Comparing staple holes along with page quality could prove that the back cover came from the same book as the other pieces. I've heard of back covers being rejected when this wasn't the case and they couldn't determine which book it was from.
Post 32 IP   flag post
611388 32 7