Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Low cost and effective!20622

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Thought I’d share this given recent posts about the high cost of slabbing.

I’ve been going back and forth about grading my high-grade Batman 251 for a while. Hate the idea of sending such a nice copy in the mail and being at the mercy of the postal service. Also, of course, the cost… we have decided to tighten our belts and so saving wherever we can.

So I decided to attempt a heat-sealed encapsulation at home. I have a laminator and a very steady hand…

Results below. The book is now fully protected and displays beautifully. Added bonus is that the heat and squeeze is like a built-in pressing!

I strongly suggest practicing on less expensive books first. First tried it on a copy of ASM252 and set the heat too high - whole thing curled up like a pig’s tail.

Post 1 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave cool idea! I'll give it a try with my foodsaver vacuum sealer.
Post 2 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Could you put it in a mylar and then heat seal it? That is, the comic in the mylar and then both in the heat seal bag? Or would there be any benefit in doing that?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
You are a brave man. That looks like such a nice book I know I would crush it or melt it
Post 4 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
The lamination sheets don't attach to the comic in some way? Or is it sealed around the edges only? I've obviously never used a commercial laminator.

(I had to add "laminator" to the computer's Dictionary, not recognized as a word???)
Post 5 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
I'll stick with board and bag in a top loader for my high grade raw books that I haven't slabbed yet
Post 6 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave - Great April Fool’s Day idea!
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Just put a number on it and you're all set!
Post 8 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
That'll save us about $150 on the Sub-Mariner Comics #2 we just got.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
That'll save us about $150 on the Sub-Mariner Comics #2 we just got.

Always happy to be of service. I’m considering trying it on my Tec31 next. I need to try removing a tester book first because I think my laminator runs at between 275-300 degrees (F). You can get a whiff of the plastic melting (always make sure well-ventilated!)
Post 10 IP   flag post
Added bonus for those looking to save space as there’s no need for backing boards!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Added bonus for those looking to save space as there’s no need for backing boards!

Yeah, but I'm thinking I should put one of those clear plastic backing boards in anyway for added security.
Post 12 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
In b4 it's removed for providing pressing advice.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
In b4 it's removed for providing pressing advice.

Now THAT's funny!!!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Okay, okay. I didn’t use a laminator to encapsulate my book.

Happy April Fools’ Day!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Okay, okay. I didn’t use a laminator to encapsulate my book.

It was a client's book, right?
Post 16 IP   flag post
611388 16 16