Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeQuestions

Rusty Staples/ Storage Question20551

Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
Hi forum, in May I will be moving from California to Idaho. My new “comic” room will be located in the basement. The basement has moisture barriers, insulation, drywall, carpet etc. The humidity stays in the 40%. The coldest (with central heat) is about 55 degrees. All comics are stored in 2 mil Mylar, fullbacks and corrugated plastic boxes. Do you think they will be safe from rust or should I move them upstairs where it is always 8-10 degrees warmer and a couple percent less humidity? Thank you everyone.
Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I think they'll be fine. You could always buy a dehumidifier.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I'm in Southern Ontario in Canada but on the same or similar latitude as Boise (no idea on elevation!).
You should be fine.
In the summer we run AC which is basically a giant dehumidifier and in the winter it gets so dry we have to run a humidifier to stop ourselves getting electrocuted from massive static build up!!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm in Houston. Being so close to the Gulf of Mexico we're pretty much always in the 80% or 90% humidity range. I keep my books in an air-conditioned bedroom and, in 30+ years, I have never had any problems with rusty staples.

I bet you'll be fine.
Post 4 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
My understanding is temperature is not a concern unless you're storing in an attic or a garage or an uninsulated structure. If your books are in the same building you live in, then the temperature should be no issue.

Humidity is an issue....usually too much is an issue. A dehumidifier is the way to go. If you get/have a dehumidifier, don't go by the units' gauges...buy an independent humidity gauge (cheap on Amazon) and put that in with/near your comics as the gauge.
Post 5 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
I'm in Houston. Being so close to the Gulf of Mexico we're pretty much always in the 80% or 90% humidity range. I keep my books in an air-conditioned bedroom and, in 30+ years, I have never had any problems with rusty staples.

I bet you'll be fine.

Same in central Florida. Humidity is off the chain. AC... AC... AC...
No rust here...
Post 6 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Mine are fine here on the Texas coast as well and I don’t even monitor temp and humidity; it whatever the rest of the house is at any given moment.
Post 7 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Mine are fine here on the Texas coast as well and I don’t even monitor temp and humidity; it whatever the rest of the house is at any given moment.

Same here.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for everyone’s response. Your experience and time is much appreciated!
Post 9 IP   flag post
615424 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?