Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSP

Mail Call - Signed comics20543

I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
The following three books are from 3 very talented comic book legends that left us too early, in my humble opinion.

First up is a Batman/TMNT comic signed by Neal Adams. I got this from Neal at a convention, He had these on sale, so I got it for less than the cost of an autograph alone.

Next up is an X-Men Civil War comic book signed by the very talented Michael Turner.

last of the signed books is autographed by another of my favorites, the very awesome Dave Cockrum. I know it's not an iconic book but it's what I could find at a decent price, and I enjoy owning it.

The final book I received back is a Captain America 100 White Logo Variant (according to CBCS). I don't believe CGC designates the White logo Captain America 100 as a variant or otherwise.Now I have a regular and a variant of Cap 100. Neat.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
The final book I received back is a Captain America 100 White Logo Variant (according to CBCS). I don't believe CGC designates the White logo Captain America 100 as a variant or otherwise.Now I have a regular and a variant of Cap 100. Neat.

What is a "White logo" variant? I checked OVERSTREET and it's not in there. What am I missing?
Post 2 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Rafel - Look at the letters that spell out CAPTAIN AMERICA. This version is outlined in white. Most are outlined in yellow.

My copy is the yellow version.

Post 3 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Captain America 100 block lettering is usually yellow.
@sportshort has white.

Post 4 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Here is the other comic book I own. As you can see the "Captain America" loco has Yellow in the section that makes it look 3D (lower left on each letter) but the one I posted above is white in that area. I believe yellow was just not applied to some books. I was surprised that CBCS had a designation for it since CGC does not.

Post 5 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@sportshort - Great books! I have a book signed by Michael Turner somewhere in a short box that I should get verified.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks @drmccoy74, your reply is much easier to understand than mine was.

Also there are 445 Captain America 100 in the CBCS census, and only 21 are designated as "white logo variants"
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@sportshort - Great books! I have a book signed by Michael Turner somewhere in a short box that I should get verified.

I agree, I still have another Harbinger with Dave Cockrum's signature that I got on the cheap, I may send that to slab along with a few others that I have.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
Quote:

I agree, I still have another Harbinger with Dave Cockrum's signature that I got on the cheap, I may send that to slab along with a few others that I have.

It has two other signatures besides Turner’s, so it will cost me a pretty penny (if I can find it!). Here’s pictures of the book and the COA:

Post 9 IP   flag post
@esaravo - This brings up something I've wondered about. What if you only want(ed) 1 of the signatures verified? Not saying this is what you want, but if one did, would CBCS do that? Otherwise your comic book is going to be quite costly in verification charges alone.
Post 10 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS either wouldn't grade the book per their new policy or the unverified signatures would count against the grade.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@DrWatson - I guess that makes sense, since it's in keeping with their new policy. Oh well, costly it is.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Paying $102 to get a book slabbed that can be found in dollar bins (without the signatures) seems a little steep. And that doesn’t even factor in shipping to and back from CBCS,
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Paying $102 to get a book slabbed that can be found in dollar bins (without the signatures) seems a little steep. And that doesn’t even factor in shipping to and back from CBCS,

Maybe they're saving it for the future to resell?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:

That is a lot of money for sure. I have never mailed in a submission to either CBCS or CGC, I always drop my comics off at a convention. Even though I live in Southern California, I see both companies at least once a year at a nearby location. I plan on dropping off a few more books at WonderCon in Anaheim in a couple of weeks. At least that way I only pay shipping and insurance one way. For me it would be cost prohibitive to pay and insure both ways.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Rafel - Look at the letters that spell out CAPTAIN AMERICA. This version is outlined in white. Most are outlined in yellow.

My copy is the yellow version.

Hi Ed,
I just checked mine out and it's a outlined in yellow.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Since only 21 books out of 445 are white logo variants, that means only 4.7% of all CBCS graded books are the white logo variant. Assuming this is a good average number, then we can assume that 295 comics out of the 6,211 CGC graded books are the White logo variant type. This should mean that there are approximately 316 (give or take) White Logo Variants out of 6,656 total comics in both the CBCS and CGC census'.

This is likely bad math, what with the whole re-submission thing at CGC, and they might easily have graded a lot more of the variants, since they were first-to-market.

Nonetheless, I thought it was interesting.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Is this "White" variant considered rarer than the "Yellow" version and if it is, why isn't listed in the Overstreet price guide? In the 53 years that the price guide has been around I would think that someone would have notice it and sent a comment to them.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I don’t know if it’s rare or not, but it certainly is rare in CBCS’s census (as I noted in my previous post)
Post 19 IP   flag post
It struck me, I could easily be wrong on this, maybe "variant" is not the term I would use. To me it seems that the better term for this is "error". To me "variant" seems intentional, if this is the case, "error" seems the better term. I am in no way an expert, so I am likely wrong about this. What do you all think?
Post 20 IP   flag post
616095 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?