Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Prepping books for mail in signings.20539

I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
So, I have never done a mail in signing. I love signed books, but have always had them signed in person. I would like to send a book to the recently announced Rosario Dawson event, but have never prepared a book for this type of thing. Any advice from more experienced hands?

Picture of the book I want to send:

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector r_kruss private msg quote post Address this user
I can't speak for anyone else, but what's worked pretty well for me is to make a sandwich out of the comic - the bagged and boarded comic plus additional boards on each side - and then put that inside a bubble mailer. I have never seen any damage to my comics using this method.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
First make yourself a bagged and boarded "windowed" bag.

Make the window where you want the signature to be placed.

For added protection you can add 2 backing boards one on the front cover and one on the rear cover inside the bag with the comic in between the 2 boards.

Remember when making your bag with the signature window, do not have the comic inside when cutting. I know, that should go without saying BUT I don't want someone to actually "accidently" mess up their comic by cutting into it by mistake.

Easy way to do it is to use about 4 or 5 backing boards inside the bag, use a razor and cut the window. Go deep enough to cut through the first or second backing board, use this board as your front cover protector, remove all the backing boards and use a new backing board for the rear like you normally would.

Carefully slip your comic inside the cut bag, notice where the window is so your cover doesn't get snagged on it, and then lastly, insert the front backing board over the front cover of your comic, lining it up with the signature window.

Then ship it out between two cardboard pieces, taped together with painters tape. Then tape this inside the comic book mailer. Then put the comic book mailer inside another larger box with popcorn.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I picture a tie that looks like a deer wiener. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
@James42, here's a pic of a stock image of one of mine. You can obviously guide the signee with the window. If you'd like me to give further details holla!

Post 4 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Sharp blade is key
Post 5 IP   flag post
I picture a tie that looks like a deer wiener. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Sharp blade is key
What do you know about sharp blades?????
Post 6 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I put a board in a Mylar bag, cut a window with an exacto-knife where I wanted the sig leaving plenty of room for natural writing (some people have large swings), and insert new board and book. I wanted the sig on a hulk variant on the back of the book and put the book backwards in the bag with it taped around the edges noted “sign here”; I got it signed on the back and slabbed correctly. If you are particular in where you want a book signed and leave plenty of room you should be ok for mail in signings. I would suggest looking at signed examples to see the scope of a signature you are looking for and planning accordingly. A generic “window bag” will leave room for what you don’t want. A specific cut area with room for natural writing will give you what you want or close enough.

My 2 cents.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Sharp blade is key
What do you know about sharp blades?????

Funny story - just recently I was too lazy to change the blade on my box cutter that I use for cutting cardboard. I knew it was dull but figured, "meh... it's just a plastic bag". So there I went cutting, then cutting again, then cutting again the same damn line on the comic bag 3x for a signing window.

I finally tossed the bag after mangling it by trying to cut the same line 3x, and I broke down and changed the blade and all was great 1st time cut.

I'll teach myself to be lazy!
Post 8 IP   flag post
611373 8 8