Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSP

No Encapsulation if Verification Fails option?20512

Collector press private msg quote post Address this user
I am not seeing the box for no encapsulation if verification fails option. What happened to it? I want to send a book in with 5 signatures but I don't want it graded if one of the signatures can't be verified. How do I go about submitting this book?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@press Hello, and welcome to the Forum. I'm sure someone will be along here shortly that can answer your question.
Post 2 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@press Welcome to the party pal... I mean forum!!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Silversorrow private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, I just tried it out myself and the box is definitely MIA. Probably an oversight while updating their website.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the land of enchantment!! Journey into mystery!!

See what I did there. lol
Post 5 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Finally, a question I can answer.

It was removed because they no longer encapsulate & grade comics with unverified signatures. I argued that the folks across the street don't verify any signatures, and they encapsulate and grade with the statement on the label saying something like "writing on the cover." But, nope, they wouldn't see things my way.

their new policy makes the box moot.

When I say argued, I mean presented my view. I don't like arguing with people who cannot change policy and are just doing their job.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
I forgot to mention one thing: I told the customer service rep that this policy change will drive people to CGC, as it will me because I do want the book encapsulated and graded, even though the signature is not verified.

I don't mean that CGC will get all my business because they won't, but they will get my "writing on the cover" books that I want slabbed. That part sucks 'cause I don't like CGC.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Silversorrow private msg quote post Address this user
Well at least this will now save me from worrying on those occasions when I forget to put a checkmark in the "no encapsulation if verification fails" box. I've done that on a few occasions and worried that they could possibly fail and still get pressed/graded when they were no longer worth it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
@sportshort I agree like when a Stan Lee fails and you got the signature in person people would still like to preserve the book with a grade even if it fails.

I don’t understand why they would do this. That was a dumb decision.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector ProdigalSon private msg quote post Address this user
I just checked the email.. I got concerned, because I have some books off for a signing that already have a signature I obtained at a show. I thought they were saying that was what was going on with my books.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
If VSP fails and the book comes back raw, can't you just send it back for grading without VSP. Yes, I know it would be a second order at cost, but wouldn't that be a way around their stupid decision?
Post 11 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Weird choice by CBCS. What is their reasoning for this?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort

It was removed because they no longer encapsulate & grade comics with unverified signatures. I argued that the folks across the street don't verify any signatures, and they encapsulate and grade with the statement on the label saying something like "writing on the cover." But, nope, they wouldn't see things my way.

When I say argued, I mean presented my view. I don't like arguing with people who cannot change policy and are just doing their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I guess I could see that there is a difference between a signature that is unverified and one that has failed verification attempt. Seems to me that a decision to refuse grading after verification failure is a bad business decision. On the other hand, there probably should be something on the label indicating that verification was attempted. Maybe a label line stating "Unverifiable signature on cover" would be the best way to resolve this without turning away business.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I guess I could see that there is a difference between a signature that is unverified and one that has failed verification attempt. Seems to me that a decision to refuse grading after verification failure is a bad business decision. On the other hand, there probably should be something on the label indicating that verification was attempted. Maybe a label line stating "Unverifiable signature on cover" would be the best way to resolve this without turning away business.
I think it’s an odd choice as well; perhaps they foresaw potential for certain shenanigans that may or may not have happened? Maybe we will see this option again after careful reevaluation by the CYA department.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

The customer service rep stated that CBCS was trying to avoid "liability". Not sure how it applies but again, I did not want to argue with someone just doing their job so I let it drop.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@HulkSmash - "Maybe we will see this option again after careful reevaluation by the CYA department."

This!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The customer service rep stated that CBCS was trying to avoid "liability". Not sure how it applies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
reevaluation by the CYA department.

Post 17 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
So this is now an impossible book. It says very clearly "Stan Lee unverifiable by BAS" so what "liability" are they worried about?!?

In this case, having personally presented the book to both gentlemen for signature in the early 90's, I can verify it even if they can't.

Post 18 IP   flag post
@figment - I don't know the answer to your question, mostly 'cause their stance/policy does not make sense to me.
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
It is a strange policy. At what point is writing on a book an unverified signature making the book upgradable? Is it just a “we know it when we see it” type thing? If some kid named Timmy wrote his name on the cover of a book to mark it as his, is the book now ungradeable? Will they encapsulate unverified signatures if there is no grading?

I don’t expect we’re going to see a wave of comics with writing on the cover returned ungraded because of this policy but I’m still not fond of it.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
It is a strange policy. At what point is writing on a book an unverified signature making the book upgradable? Is it just a “we know it when we see it” type thing? If some kid named Timmy wrote his name on the cover of a book to mark it as his, is the book now ungradeable? Will they encapsulate unverified signatures if there is no grading?

I don’t expect we’re going to see a wave of comics with writing on the cover returned ungraded because of this policy but I’m still not fond of it.

You must have listened to my conversation with customer service; that is almost exactly what I asked. It was "almost" because I went a little further. I asked, "What if a child wrote his name on his AF-15 and, as an adult, wants it graded? I cannot imagine CBCS returning the book ungraded". Again, she answered, It's the policy. I cut out most of my conversation with customer service in my first two posts so that I could get to the essential points, but this was one of the questions I asked. At that point in the conversation is when I actually said "I understand that it is not your decision." That's when I thanked her for the information and got off the phone.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I may just be dreaming, but I expect that at some point, CBCS will walk this portion of their policy back. Fingers crossed.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector sborock_ComicLink private msg quote post Address this user
This was a very bad move! IMHO.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock_ComicLink
This was a very bad move! IMHO.

Agreed!
Post 24 IP   flag post
616095 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?