Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Psycho on the condition of the books, how did you neat yourself? did you20449

Collector Jr1776 private msg quote post Address this user
Well... i have a problem, its about the condition... im just so many times worried about a stupide defect or something which is make me envious to buy another copy of each books who arent perfect at my eyes. I have an autistic syndrom, so its in great part the cause of the problem... but i want to try to controll myself a bit on it. Im sure that a lot of people are really exigent on their books, how did you managed with these kind of problems?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
For me personally, I lost my give a shit about 20 yrs ago, I don’t mind imperfections.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
I used to suffer from this. I had a large collection of silver and some golden age books and in many cases I knew more about how many spine tics a book had than the contents of the story inside. Back around 2006 I lost my job and ended up selling my comics to support myself. By around 2010 I had no comics left.

Naturally, that didn’t last. Before long I jumped back in, and when I did I came to a realization. When I first started reading comics as a kid, I gave absolutely no thought about the condition of the cover. My focus was entirely on reading them. The pure joy of that time and that experience is unparalleled. That is when and where the magic happened! As I got into my teens, putting comics in plastic bags became fashionable. By my late teens/ early 20s I had morphed into a condition obsessed back issue collector, the type of which I am sure is common on this forum. What I realized was that the further I traveled down the path of condition obsession, the less joy I experienced. After all, there’s always a nicer copy out there, right? As I began buying comics again, my initial focus was on regaining the comics I owned as a kid and recapturing that magic. I made a promise to myself to keep it about the joy of reading and not the condition of the comics. Honestly, I do not even bag my comics these days! My collecting focus did expand somewhat; now I am looking to fill in the entire decade of the 1980s instead of just the ones I bought as a kid. I have tens of thousands of golden and silver age comics, but they are mostly in the form of hardcovers, trades and PDFs. I do still allow myself to indulge in an occasional higher end item, but nowhere near to the point of my past obsession. The end result? I enjoy the hobby more than ever, and every time I open up a comic I experience that old magic. It’s far better to be a magic junkie than a condition junkie!
Post 3 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I am generally meticulous with my stuff. That said, I also tend to want to enjoy my things. Part of why I have fewer things - I am unlikely to leave things permanently stored or boxed.

For comics, however, while I am meticulous in preservation, I’m far more interested in the history/impact of the books and from a collection standpoint, their rarity. Condition is only important for a) the book not degrading rapidly and b) general aesthetic. If it looks as intended from a few feet away then it likely meets the latter’s requirement. Patina is fine for me.

I have no passion for collecting high grades for the sake of higher grades. Of course if an opportunity presents itself to get a nice copy at great value, I will definitely do so. I don’t think I am ever likely to “upgrade” books, however. Just not my thing.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
I used to suffer from this. I had a large collection of silver and some golden age books and in many cases I knew more about how many spine tics a book had than the contents of the story inside. Back around 2006 I lost my job and ended up selling my comics to support myself. By around 2010 I had no comics left.

Naturally, that didn’t last. Before long I jumped back in, and when I did I came to a realization. When I first started reading comics as a kid, I gave absolutely no thought about the condition of the cover. My focus was entirely on reading them. The pure joy of that time and that experience is unparalleled. That is when and where the magic happened! As I got into my teens, putting comics in plastic bags became fashionable. By my late teens/ early 20s I had morphed into a condition obsessed back issue collector, the type of which I am sure is common on this forum. What I realized was that the further I traveled down the path of condition obsession, the less joy I experienced. After all, there’s always a nicer copy out there, right? As I began buying comics again, my initial focus was on regaining the comics I owned as a kid and recapturing that magic. I made a promise to myself to keep it about the joy of reading and not the condition of the comics. Honestly, I do not even bag my comics these days! My collecting focus did expand somewhat; now I am looking to fill in the entire decade of the 1980s instead of just the ones I bought as a kid. I have tens of thousands of golden and silver age comics, but they are mostly in the form of hardcovers, trades and PDFs. I do still allow myself to indulge in an occasional higher end item, but nowhere near to the point of my past obsession. The end result? I enjoy the hobby more than ever, and every time I open up a comic I experience that old magic. It’s far better to be a magic junkie than a condition junkie!

It was wonderful to read you, thanks pal!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp @Davethebrave nicely said.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
I'm sort of at the point where I have every book on my checklist, so I'm mostly only buying to get upgrades of books I already have.

I've made the mistake of buying a lot of raw books because they looked better than graded copies I have. Then been disappointed when they graded the same or lower than my previous copy.

I've also bought graded books without looking closely at the book itself, but just at the grade on the label. This has also been a mistake.

What I've learned to do is use a combination of the two. Buy the already graded book, but also make sure the book itself meets my expectations by looking at it and not just the grade.

However, I will say I think I was having more fun before grades were a thing and I didn't sweat over whether I had a 9.0 or a 9.4... I was just happy to have the book.
Post 7 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
I create an unboxing thread for all to enjoy!!!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAmistoso
I create an unboxing thread for all to enjoy!!!

?
Post 9 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/20333/page/1/whats-this---/
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
My psycho hangup is not condition but page quality - White Pages only for my personal collection. Anything less is immediately expendable.
Post 11 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I think most comic book collectors can relate to this, myself included. Even as a young teenager I handled my comics with extreme care and let no others handle them. When my interest in comics returned in my 30’s I found I am just as obsessed with condition, except now with the funds to get the books I never could in my youth. I take an inordinate amount of pride in some of my hard to find books in top condition. I understand it means little to those around me but I’m happy with it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
I think most comic book collectors can relate to this, myself included. Even as a young teenager I handled my comics with extreme care and let no others handle them. When my interest in comics returned in my 30’s I found I am just as obsessed with condition, except now with the funds to get the books I never could in my youth. I take an inordinate amount of pride in some of my hard to find books in top condition. I understand it means little to those around me but I’m happy with it.

Yeah, I took great care with my books. Mostly 90s books published in the hundreds of thousands with many kids also being careful… modest collection in my case.

Of course some were read too… carefully. I had an interest in vintage books then too but lacked the funds. $500 for a single comic. LOL! No…it would actually be ROFLMAO!
Post 13 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murm
My psycho hangup is not condition but page quality - White Pages only for my personal collection. Anything less is immediately expendable.

I've subbed the same book three different times and received three different page color designations. So, page quality is really no big thing to me anymore unless you're venturing into off white or below... and even that depends on the book.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson Same here on a few of my books that were re-subbed. When I finally decide to cash out of the hobby I feel having a collection full of only WP books will be a great selling point. So my psycho hangup does serve a purpose.
Post 15 IP   flag post
614873 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?