Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and ConservationComics Silver Age

ASM #20 to remove staples or not?20441

Collector Joachim private msg quote post Address this user
Kevin, bless his heart, tried to fix some loose interior pages by putting stapling through the top and the bottom of this comic. I want to fix this spine roll and those two staples are in my way. I’m considering getting rid of the later staples and fixing the spine roll but i’m afraid that i will end up hurting the grade or getting a restored label or something like that for fixing it. I am very confident that I wont damage the book in the process. What do you think? Should I remove those two staples and fix the spine roll but end up with some detached interior pages or should i go ahead and keep the spine roll and the staples? Which will give me a better grade?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector TheShocker private msg quote post Address this user
Can you post a pic of book?
Post 2 IP   flag post

Post 3 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Removing the staples and having the book pressed to remove the spine roll will not result in a restored label.
Post 4 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Oh, golly. I might just leave the staples where they are and send it to a seasoned presser to handle that book. Those pages look about as fragile as a glass slipper in a bear trap.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Joachim - Welcome to the forum. If you did nothing to the book and submitted it for grading as is to CBCS, the label would say “extra staples, not manufacturing.” It would not say conserved or restored because of them. If you remove the extra staples, the staple holes would be listed on the grader’s notes. In my opinion, given the overall condition of the book, neither defect should have a significant impact on the grade. I would say that if you decide to press it, I would remove the staples to prevent tearing to the interior pages, but that’s entirely up to you. I don’t know if I would even have it pressed.
PS - Love that book. I have a decent-looking graded 4.0, and a lower grade raw copy.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Joachim - Welcome to the forum. If you did nothing to the book and submitted it for grading as is to CBCS, the label would say “extra staples, not manufacturing.” It would not say conserved or restored because of them. If you remove the extra staples, the staple holes would be listed on the grader’s notes. In my opinion, given the overall condition of the book, neither defect should have a significant impact on the grade. I would say that if you decide to press it, I would remove the staples to prevent tearing to the interior pages, but that’s entirely up to you.
PS - Love that book. I have a decent-looking graded 4.0, and a lower grade raw copy.

Thank you for the response!

It seems like the trade is essentially trading loose pages for a spine roll.

I'm really trying to figure out which would comic would have a better grade.

Would that same comic without a big spine roll but with two staples get a better grade or would the comic without the spine roll but with loose interior pages get a better grade?

It sounds like maybe you are saying that it probably won't matter either way?
Post 7 IP   flag post
I still want to know the answer but the question is now purely hypothetical.

The staples are gone.

I couldn't stand looking at them.

Once it was removed I was able to see that the only detachment is on the center page which is only detached on the bottom and not on the top. Couldn't have asked for a better outcome.

Still, if anyone has an opinion on if I made a mistake and should have left the staples in I would love to hear it and I'll go ahead and post a picture of the book when I'm done working on it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Are the original staples still in place? If that's the case, I would definitely remove the extra staples and press the book.

If the original staples are gone, I would leave it. Moving the extra staples or replacing them, you definitely risk getting a restored label.

I would also write in the space above Kevin's name; "Thanks for nothing"
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector PhilCoulson private msg quote post Address this user
The question is, who is Kevin?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Some punk kid who wrote his name on all his brother Buzz’s comics when his parents left him home alone.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
My opinion would be to have a pro presser remove the staples, a light cleaning, and press and improve the spine roll, and then have them submit for grading. Also, you will want to do a page count on this book. 8 interior pages to the centerfold and 8 interior pages past the centerfold. This book is notorious for the last page getting removed for the pin up.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
Cool book.
Post 13 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
From a purely presentation standpoint, having the spine roll removed is the priority. If there are original staples still in place then definitely remove the extra ones.

It's an important book that would benefit from professional TLC.

Great book!
Post 14 IP   flag post
611415 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?