Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Interesting video about the Okajima pedigree20440

Collector Helric1 private msg quote post Address this user
This is a little long but has some interesting information based on quite a bit of research.
Post 1 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I will watch this tonight at home.

This is an historic pedigree that is probably one of the most important stories.

One thing that I found puzzling about this pedigree....as far as I understand is...the individual its named after is said to have collected these comics while inside the American internment camps. The Japanese held there were essentially prisoners (I believe). Would the prisoners have had access to comic books? Would comics have been given to them in a time of war? During paper collection efforts?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector sigep815 private msg quote post Address this user
I remember this photo, they did have books. At the link below, down to photo 28. Just stacks of Marvel Comics!! It looks like Marvel Mystery Comics 34, 1942.

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2011/08/world-war-ii-internment-of-japanese-americans/100132/

And if you really want to see history in pictures this 20 pager on WW2 is something to see.
https://www.theatlantic.com/projects/world-war-2-photos/
Post 3 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for sharing. I started watching but had to do other things. I plan on watching the rest tonight.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting, and cool.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Thanks for sharing. I started watching but had to do other things. I plan on watching the rest tonight.
Same here. I will want to go back and take my time watching it. She makes some valid points.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I watched it last night. Pretty interesting story. She definitely put in the work and dug for primary sources of information in her research in order to support her conclusions. Including buying a 1938 High School yearbook off of Ebay.

Spoiler Alert: She presents evidence that indicates the Pedigree is real, but it is attributed to the wrong girl with last name Okajima, probably even the wrong family. She believes it was accumulated by a brother and sister who were in the camp much longer than Bette Okajima and who's family owned the farm that sold the comic books in an estate sale. They weren't children when they collected, both had graduated high school at least 4 years before going into the internment camp.
Post 7 IP   flag post
611387 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?