Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeGrading Help Needed

Spare a Grade for Spider-Man VS Wolverine20431

Collector Dealiod private msg quote post Address this user
I'm wondering how bad the ink smears on the front and back cover will tank the grade. Otherwise this is a good looking comic. Also, can an ink smear be cleaned?

Post 1 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the forum, @Dealiod.

Those fingerprints will be a killer. They will knock the grade down substantially I think into the 4.0-5.0 range.
Post 2 IP   flag post
How do I know this? Because I've done it myself. lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
@DWeeB1967 Agreed. Pressing isn't going to fix that, and the grade will go down a lot. I wouldn't send that copy in for grading unless there's a sentimental value attached to it.

Love that book, by the way, read it so many times as a kid. And welcome to the forum!
Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Dealiod - Welcome to the CBCS forum. I agree with the others. A press and clean would not fix the problems that are visible with that book. Therefore, in my opinion it would not be a good financial move to have that book graded, since you could purchase a better raw copy for what it would cost you to grade it (don’t forget the costs to package and ship it to the grading company, and to get it shipped back to you).
Post 4 IP   flag post
@lawguy1997: same. I was very upset when I smudged it.

@DWeeB1967: I knew it was bad, did not expect that. Ah well. At least I can say I enjoyed it! I was reading through it again when I pulled it out for pictures. Love this book.
Thank you both!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Dealiod Welcome aboard. Yes those fingers prints will kill the grade and I would not recommend slabbing it unless it had sentimental reasons.
I did that to a Doomsday Clock comic book which is super sensitive to finger prints. Depending on the comic,I wear white cotton gloves now when I read a book like that.
Post 6 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealiod
At least I can say I enjoyed it! I was reading through it again when I pulled it out for pictures. Love this book.

Then just keep it raw, read it from time to time and enjoy. If you absolutely feel the need to have a graded copy you could either buy one that is already graded or find a higher grade copy in the wild and submit that one.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
5.0-5.5
Post 8 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
As a teenager, and finger printing some of my books, I started other rituals to decrease the handling of comics. I tend to read my comics inside of an old hard bound sociology book to protect spine and eliminate holding the comic.🤣🤣🤣
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by makahuka
As a teenager, and finger printing some of my books, I started other rituals to decrease the handling of comics. I tend to read my comics inside of an old hard bound sociology book to protect spine and eliminate holding the comic.🤣🤣🤣

I've done something similar with acid-free backing boards... holding two boards (one against front cover, another against the back) and book so that my fingers only touched the boards.
Post 10 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I use latex gloves when handling books. Have white cotton gloves as well but find the latex allow more control.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
5.0 tops.

That is unfortunate.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Thank to everyone that replied. This is a great forum and super cool. Ya'll have been great.
What I'm finding funny is all the talk about how to properly handle and hold books. Which, again, is great. Please do not think that I am talking down or trying to diss anyone giving good information, or sharing what they think is something good and helpful.
But Ya'll I caused those ink smears back in 1987 and I still am not happy about it.
Had I had that info back then!
Again, thanks ya'll. You all are great.

BTW: I usually read my comic book while they are lying flat on a clean tabletop. It's awkward as all get out, but keeps from hurting the cover.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
What I'm finding funny is all the talk about how to properly handle and hold books.

It's a comic book discussion forum. That's what we do. 😄👍
Post 14 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Thank to everyone that replied. This is a great forum and super cool. Ya'll have been great.
What I'm finding funny is all the talk about how to properly handle and hold books. Which, again, is great. Please do not think that I am talking down or trying to diss anyone giving good information, or sharing what they think is something good and helpful.
But Ya'll I caused those ink smears back in 1987 and I still am not happy about it.
Had I had that info back then!
Again, thanks ya'll. You all are great.

BTW: I usually read my comic book while they are lying flat on a clean tabletop. It's awkward as all get out, but keeps from hurting the cover.

If everyone handled comics with kid gloves (literally) back then, none would be worth all that much.

Thank goodness for not giving a sh—-.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave you got that right.
Post 16 IP   flag post
615415 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?