Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaPop CultureQuestions

3M Command Strips20419

I award you no points! stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
Who among us have used the 3M command strips to hang graded comics?

I’m seriously considering it, at least the velcro ones. My main concern is that do they come off the case easily? Any insights or thoughts are appreciated.

Currently I have a 6 pack of some plastic ones that go in the wall, I’m not sold on them atm.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I did it recently and I think it was worth it. CoalTiger private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think I would trust those to hold very long without possibility of failing. So no, I've never used them.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
they have worked great on my framed concert jerseys

Post 3 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Don’t use for anything high value. They can fail even if correctly prepped and even if within weight/usage limits.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
This
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Don’t use for anything high value. They can fail even if correctly prepped and even if within weight/usage limits.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I award you no points! stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, ok. I really appreciate the info, ok wall mounts are growing on me! Thank you everyone.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I like the green back ground. It looks really nice!! Back in 1975, I put on my wall my Amazing Spider-Man 1-100, then after about a week I took them down. I was afraid the sun light would fade them. So other then telling someone what I have I have nothing displayed.
Post 7 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley_1883
Wow, ok. I really appreciate the info, ok wall mounts are growing on me! Thank you everyone.

I want to clarify my prior post. Command strips generally work well. I have books on display in frames (not slabbed) that rely on strips.

But I would not use them for high value items because they can fail, even within tolerances and even with perfect prep. I believe it is a quality control issue. Because it is impossible to know in advance whether they will fail, I personally wouldn’t put high value books up that rely on command strips.

The mode of failure I experienced was the separation of the adhesive layer (which stayed securely on the wall) and the paper/velcro layer. There is a chance the weight born across the four strips I used was somehow uneven - but the way they failed suggested that it was a manufacturing issue instead.

I think adhesive failure (adhesive not sticking to wall and entire strip detaching) is more common but also more likely has to do with surface prep. Then there is risk that the velcro itself doesn’t seat properly, or that it slowly lifts off.

If you’re hanging something semi-permanently for display, my guess is it shouldn’t be high value anyways. UV damage, security, etc… but if you do, I’d personally use something where I know with near-100% certainty it’ll stay put. Command strips don’t do that for me.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
I have used the velcro type with great success. I don't anymore, but I have a larger graded collection and rotate slabs on display much more frequently these days.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Thick, Long #8 Nails; and Nails only for anything of value (pictures, comics, whatever). And the Nails must be hammered into 2x4
And even Nails I don't trust as someone can smash into the display
Post 10 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I use a combination of these three to ensure adhearance to my wall. You can never be too careful.

Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC Right On!!! Now we're talking! No reason to take any risks with velcro - steel and Iron or bust!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
🤣
Post 13 IP   flag post
615425 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?